Current Division Rule: Solving for Currents

In summary, the conversation involved discussing a circuit where the currents needed to be found. The first attempt was using the traditional V=IR method, and then the current division rule was tried. However, the answers did not match and it was mentioned that the traditional method was the correct one. The question of whether there are any conditions for using the current division rule was raised. The conversation also mentioned the presence of capacitors and inductors in the circuit and the importance of finding the impedance for these elements. Eventually, it was discovered that a mistake was made in the substitution of values which resulted in incorrect answers. The conversation was then concluded with the reminder to always share working to avoid such errors.
jra12222
Hi all,

I was working the following example:
upload_2018-12-2_5-57-40.png

where I need to find the currents. I tried solving using the traditional V=IR => I=V/R,
and then I tried with the current division rule. However with the current division rule the answers don't match.
Also according to the answers on the book the correct answer is the first one.
Are there some conditions when using the current division rule?

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-2_5-57-40.png
    upload_2018-12-2_5-57-40.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 649
Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know what the first one is since you didn't tell us. However, you have more than resistance in this circuit. Do you know how to get the impedance for a capacitor and an inductor?

Oh no the first is the traditional one, I basically found voltage drop across the the parallel branches and then found the current using V=I/Z.
Yes inductive and capacitive resistances are correct

OH never mind I just noticed I was making a mistake in the substitution of the values! I've been trying to figure it out for the past hour :(
Sorry for this!
Consider this thread closed

Likes berkeman and Tom.G
That's why we like people to post their working.

Likes jim hardy

1. What is the current division rule?

The current division rule is a mathematical principle used to calculate the different currents in a parallel circuit. It states that the current flowing through a branch of a parallel circuit is inversely proportional to the resistance of that branch.

2. How do I apply the current division rule?

To apply the current division rule, you first need to identify the parallel branches in the circuit. Then, use the formula I1 = Itotal * (Rtotal / R1) to calculate the current in each branch. Repeat this process for all branches to get the individual currents.

3. Can the current division rule be used for any type of circuit?

No, the current division rule can only be applied to parallel circuits. It cannot be used for series circuits or any other type of circuit.

4. How accurate is the current division rule?

The current division rule is an idealized model and therefore may not always accurately reflect real-world circuits. Factors such as internal resistance and non-linear components may affect the accuracy of the results.

5. Can the current division rule be used for alternating current (AC) circuits?

Yes, the current division rule can be used for both direct current (DC) and alternating current (AC) circuits as long as the circuit is in steady-state. However, for AC circuits, the impedance (Z) of the branches should be used instead of resistance (R) in the formula I1 = Itotal * (Ztotal / Z1).