Reverse saturation current and leakage current in a BJT

In summary, there are two quantities in the context of BJT: "Is" and "ICBO". "Is" is the reverse saturation current for the base-emitter junction, while "ICBO" is the collector base reverse current. These two quantities are not the same, and their values may differ due to varying doping densities in the collector and emitter regions. "Icbo" is often referred to as a leakage current, but it represents the reverse current in a reverse biased collector base junction with the base open. Many textbooks use "Is" interchangeably for both junctions, but it is important to differentiate them as "Ics" and "Ies" for the collector base and base emitter junctions, respectively.
anubhavsingh
TL;DR Summary
What is the relation between reverse saturation current and leakage current in a BJT?
I have been studying Studying Donald Neamen's Electronic Circuits 4th edition and Sedra Smith's Microelectronics 7th edition for quite some time now. I have been self studying. After searching extensively on Internet as well as trying to understand from the books, I have not been able to differentiate between two quantities in the context of BJT.

These two quantities are: IS and ICBO

According to Sedra Smith, ICBO is the collector base reverse current and
del3.JPG

Whereas IS is the saturation or scale current given by
del2.jpg

del1.jpg

I have been wondering are these two quantities same or share some relation between them because I find the name for both these quantities being used inter-changeably at many places which is quite confusing and I believe they are not the same.

Also, I am confused which current is being referred to when on Internet I find the term "reverse saturation current". Searching on Internet the term "reverse saturation current" gives two kinds of sources: one referring it as IS and the other referring it as ICBO Another similar quantity is ICBO.

References

Sedra Smith
Donald Neamen

Attachments

• del2.jpg
    del2.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
anubhavsingh said:
Summary:: What is the relation between reverse saturation current and leakage current in a BJT?

I have been studying Studying Donald Neamen's Electronic Circuits 4th edition and Sedra Smith's Microelectronics 7th edition for quite some time now. I have been self studying. After searching extensively on Internet as well as trying to understand from the books, I have not been able to differentiate between two quantities in the context of BJT.

These two quantities are: IS and ICBO

According to Sedra Smith, ICBO is the collector base reverse current and
View attachment 290364
Whereas IS is the saturation or scale current given by
View attachment 290363
View attachment 290361
I have been wondering are these two quantities same or share some relation between them because I find the name for both these quantities being used inter-changeably at many places which is quite confusing and I believe they are not the same.

Also, I am confused which current is being referred to when on Internet I find the term "reverse saturation current". Searching on Internet the term "reverse saturation current" gives two kinds of sources: one referring it as IS and the other referring it as ICBO Another similar quantity is ICBO.

References

Sedra Smith
Donald Neamen
Here it is. The *reverse saturation current*, "Is", is the reverse current of the base-emitter junction. This is denoted as "Is" in a diode, a 2 terminal device.
But a bjt has 3 terminals, & 2 p-n junctions. The collector base jcn is reverse biased when bjt is biased in its active region. Without base current, the emitter current is the collector base jcn reverse saturation current. This can be regarded a "leakage current". This is "Ics", the collector base reverse saturation current.

The base emitter jcn has a reverse saturation current denoted by "Ies". This value, Ies, generally differs from Ics since collector & emitter regions have differing doping densities. The value Ies is the reverse current in a reverse biased base emitter junction with collector open.

The parameter "Icbo", is collector to emitter current with an open base. This is often regarded as leakage, since a bjt having no input on the base emitter junction, ie zero bias, should ideally have zero collector current Ic.

But the reverse biased c-b jcn has a small reverse current, Ics per Shockley diode eqn, or Icbo per bjt circuit models. Data sheets display this Ics/Icbo value generally.

The problem with most semiconductor theory textbooks is that of denoting b-e jcn reverse saturation current as "Is". For a diode, Is is fine. But bjt has 2 junctions, each with its own "Is" parameter. Good concise authors differentiate these values by denoting them as "Ics", & "Ies", wrt to collector base & base emitter junctions.

I hope I've helped.

• Informative
Likes anubhavsingh and berkeman

1. What is reverse saturation current in a BJT?

Reverse saturation current, also known as reverse leakage current, is the small amount of current that flows from the collector to the base in a bipolar junction transistor (BJT) when the base-collector junction is reverse biased. This current is due to minority carriers that are injected into the base region and then swept across to the collector by the electric field.

2. How does reverse saturation current affect the performance of a BJT?

Reverse saturation current increases with temperature and can cause thermal runaway in a BJT, leading to its destruction. It also affects the gain and linearity of the BJT, as it introduces noise and distortion in the output signal. Therefore, it is important to keep the reverse saturation current as low as possible in BJT designs.

3. How is reverse saturation current controlled in a BJT?

Reverse saturation current can be controlled by choosing the appropriate biasing conditions for the base-collector junction. This can be achieved by selecting the right values for the base-collector voltage and the base current. Additionally, the doping concentration and thickness of the base and collector regions can also affect the reverse saturation current.

4. What is the difference between reverse saturation current and leakage current in a BJT?

Reverse saturation current refers to the current that flows from the collector to the base when the base-collector junction is reverse biased. On the other hand, leakage current in a BJT refers to the small amount of current that flows from the base to the collector when the base-emitter junction is reverse biased. Both of these currents can affect the performance of a BJT, but they are caused by different mechanisms.

5. How can leakage current be reduced in a BJT?

Leakage current can be reduced by using a BJT with a lower reverse leakage current specification. Additionally, it can also be reduced by minimizing the reverse bias voltage on the base-emitter junction and by using a lower temperature. However, it is important to note that completely eliminating leakage current is not possible, as it is an inherent characteristic of BJTs.