Current in a capacitor question

In summary: The R starts at 8k ohms (thought its not relevant)Switch S is closed - C fully charges up.In summary, the current decreases when switch S is closed and then reverses direction when switch S is opened.
maxelcat
This is a question from an a level textbook.

capq.jpg

The R starts at 8k ohms (thought its not relevant)
Switch S is closed - C fully charges up.

Question:Switch S is opened. Explain why the current decreases and REVERSES direction in the ammeter.

This is what I think. The decrease in current is easy to explain but the REVERSE in direction is not.
  • When the switch is closed current flows -> (anticlockwise) through the ammeter
  • When the switch is opened current STILL flows anticlockwise as it leaves the capacitor.

But the questions says there is a reverse of I so something is wrong in my answer.

Can anyone please point out what I have got wrong!

Thanks

E

Physics news on Phys.org
The question or the diagram is wrong.

The current won't change direction.

Textbooks aren't always correct.

You are correct. Why it says the current reverses I cannot imagine.

Is there anything you're not telling us about R? A wirewound resistor perhaps?

Thank you for your replies. Here's the whole question - I don't think I missed anything out... the first 3 parts are simple calculations. Underneath is what the answer in says. I tend to agree with the answers provided but I be really grateful for your considered opinions on the whole question!
capq2.jpg

back of book "The capacitor starts to discharge with the current flowing in the opposite direction to the charging current" ---- i think that's a poor answer anyway because it is a statement, rather than an explanation of the reversal...

Part (d) doesn't make sense for the given circuit unless by "reverse" they are referring to the current magnitude getting smaller with time (falling back from its initial maximum value). Perhaps the question was originally formulated with a slightly different circuit in mind.

It would have been more interesting had the ammeter been in series with the capacitor.

Thanks... I don't think they mean that... it would asking the same thing twice, and in a very confusing way. if the ammeter was in series with the capacitor then it would make more sense as you suggest.

1. What is current in a capacitor?

The current in a capacitor is the flow of electric charge through the capacitor, which is measured in amperes (A). It is caused by the changing electric field within the capacitor, as the capacitor charges and discharges.

2. How does current flow in a capacitor?

Current flows in a capacitor when there is a potential difference (voltage) across the capacitor. This causes the electrons to move from one plate of the capacitor to the other, creating a flow of electric charge.

3. How is current related to capacitance in a capacitor?

The current in a capacitor is directly proportional to the capacitance of the capacitor. This means that a capacitor with a higher capacitance will have a higher current flowing through it, given the same voltage.

4. Can current flow through a capacitor forever?

No, current cannot flow through a capacitor forever. Eventually, the capacitor will reach its maximum charge and will no longer allow current to flow. However, the capacitor can discharge and be recharged, allowing current to flow again.

5. How does the frequency of current affect a capacitor?

The frequency of current can affect a capacitor in several ways. A higher frequency can cause the capacitor to heat up and potentially fail due to the increased current flow. It can also affect the capacitance of the capacitor, as higher frequencies can cause the capacitor to act more like a resistor and decrease its overall capacitance.