Current in a current-carrying loop experiencing no torque

In summary: However, the answer that the current can be either CW or CCW contradicts the right-hand rule, which is why it is not correct.
SilversGodot
Homework Statement
A current-carrying loop with a diameter of 1.0 cm is in a constant magnetic field of 0.5 μT into the page experiencing no torque. What must be the current flowing through the wire?
Hint: there may be multiple correct answers
A. 4.0mA, CCW
B. 4.0mA, CW
C. 0.40A, CCW
D. 0.40A,CW
E. 2.0mA, CCW
F. 2.0mA, CW
Relevant Equations
[tex] T = N \ I \ A \ B \ \sin(\theta) = M \ B \ \sin(\theta)\ \text{, }

\ \ \ \text{ or } \ \ \

\vec{T} = N \ I \ \vec{A} \times \vec{B} = \vec{M} \times \vec{B}[/tex]
Disclaimer: The solution to this question has already been posted by my instructor. I made this post to understand why my solution is wrong or if the instructor is wrong, since their explanation does not make sense to me.

My reasoning:
Using the fact that the magnetic torque on a current-carrying loop is
[tex] T = N \ I \ A \ B \ \sin(\theta) = M \ B \ \sin(\theta) [/tex]
and that the torque is 0, I deduced that θ must be either 0 or π rad, since all other variables are non-zero (the number of loops N is 1, the problem assumes a current I, the loop has non-zero area A, and there is an external magnetic field B). Thus, it should not be possible to determine the current and all six options are equally likely. My answer would be options A-F.

The instructor's reasoning:
"Direction is determined via the right hand rule. My thumb points in the direction of the magnetic field (into the page) and my fingers curl in the direction of the current (CW). Since there is no net torque when the field is perpendicular to the loop, the current can flow either CW or CCW and still have no net torque." They gave the work below:
[tex]B = \frac{\mu_0I}{2R} \rightarrow I = \frac{2BR}{\mu_0} = 4.0 mA[/tex]
The instructor marked the A and B were both correct/possible answers.

From what I can tell, the instructor interpreted that the loop is generating the magnetic field given in the problem. From the wording, I assumed that the magnetic field was external to the loop, since it said "in a constant magnetic field," which would imply that something else is causing the field. Additionally, the answer that the current can be either CW or CCW contradicts the fact that they used the right-hand rule. My question for this post is "Is my reasoning wrong? If it is wrong, why?"

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-10 at 4.10.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-10 at 4.10.40 PM.png
    21.5 KB · Views: 115
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Based on the wording of the problem, I think your criticism of the instructor's answer is valid.

Since the question asks for which current must be in the loop, I would say that none of the answers is correct. You are right, it is not possible to determine the current in the loop.

Likes hutchphd and SilversGodot

1. What is a current-carrying loop?

A current-carrying loop is a closed circuit through which an electric current flows. It can be a simple loop of wire or a more complex shape, and it is typically made of a conductive material such as copper.

2. What is meant by "no torque" in reference to a current-carrying loop?

"No torque" refers to the absence of a rotational force on the loop. In other words, the loop is not experiencing any turning or twisting motion due to the current flowing through it.

3. How can a current-carrying loop experience no torque?

This can occur when the loop is placed in a uniform magnetic field, with its plane parallel to the field. In this orientation, the forces on each side of the loop cancel out, resulting in no net torque.

4. What factors affect the amount of current in a current-carrying loop experiencing no torque?

The amount of current in the loop is dependent on the strength of the magnetic field, the size and shape of the loop, and the material of the loop. A stronger magnetic field or a larger loop will result in a higher current, while a less conductive material will result in a lower current.

5. What are some real-world applications of a current-carrying loop experiencing no torque?

One example is in the design of electric motors, where a current-carrying loop is used to create a rotating magnetic field that drives the motion of the motor. Another application is in generators, where a rotating loop is used to generate electricity by cutting through a magnetic field. This principle is also used in devices such as loudspeakers and MRI machines.