Current produced by photolectrons

In summary: The source is monochromatic (i.e. the light source provides only ONE frequency), so all the photons hitting the metal will have the same energy.
Oliver321

Homework Statement

In perspective to the photoelectric effect I found following question:
Electric current is charge flowing per unit of time. If we increase the kinetic energy of the photoelecrons (by increasing the energy of the incident photons), shouldn’t the current increase, because the charge flows more rapidly? Why doesn’t it?

Homework Equations

E_kin = h*f - φ
φ: work function

The Attempt at a Solution

Maybe if I increase the energy of the photons, the same number of electrons are emitted in the same unit of time but with greater kinetic energy and therefore there is a greater difference between the separate electrons getting emitted? But I have no idea why this should occur ( there should be the same number of photons in a lighthbeam which could knock out electrons).

Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track but you have to say it better. Think of the current as electrons being ejected per unit time. Can you increase the number of ejected electrons per unit time if you increase the energy of the incident photons without changing the number of incident photons per unit time?

Likes Oliver321
kuruman said:
You are on the right track but you have to say it better. Think of the current as electrons being ejected per unit time. Can you increase the number of ejected electrons per unit time if you increase the energy of the incident photons without changing the number of incident photons per unit time?
Thanks for the awnser!

Yes I could. The number of incident photons should be constant, no matter how large the energy of the photon is. But this would mean a increased current? Hmm May you give me another hint :‘D

How many electrons can one incident photon knock out of the metal ?

Likes Oliver321
BvU said:
How many electrons can one incident photon knock out of the metal ?

Only one electron.
But if there are as many high energetic photons as there are low energetic, wouldn’t that mean that the lightbeam consists out of less high energetic electrons?

Yes it does. The low-energy ones don't contribute.

Oliver321 said:
If we increase the kinetic energy of the photoelecrons (by increasing the energy of the incident photons), shouldn’t the current increase, because the charge flows more rapidly
Well, it does. What causes the electrons, once liberated from the cathode, to reach the anode ? Their kinetic energy (partially obtained from an incident electron with sufficient energy), the fact that the anode is positive, or both ?

BvU said:
Yes it does. The low-energy ones don't contribute.

Well, it does. What causes the electrons, once liberated from the cathode, to reach the anode ? Their kinetic energy (partially obtained from an incident electron with sufficient energy), the fact that the anode is positive, or both ?
I would think both. Nevertheless there is also a stopping potential applied to measure the kinetic energy of the electrons. But I think the whole thought experiment should neglect this stopping potential. Because we cannot measure the kinetic energy and the current at the same time (or can we)? When we applied a stopping potential that is equal to the kinetic energy, no electrons would reach the other end and so the current is 0.

Oliver321 said:
(or can we)?
Looks as if we can: potential is voltage and current is amount ...

BvU said:
fact that the anode is positive
note that if we apply a stopping potential, this means the anode isn't positive wrt the cathode anymore ...

There's lots of threads on https://www.physicsforums.com/search/95675532/?q=photoelectric&o=relevance on PF. Did you inspect a few of them ?

BvU said:
note that if we apply a stopping potential, this means the anode isn't positive wrt the cathode anymore ...

There's lots of threads on https://www.physicsforums.com/search/95675532/?q=photoelectric&o=relevance on PF. Did you inspect a few of them ?
No I didn’t. But I will!

But what is now the awnser?
Following is true (?):
1. the kinetic energy of the electrons right after the emission is higher
2. there are as many electrons emitted with less energetic photons as there are with high energetic photons
3. Slow electrons get stopped by the stopping potential

I conclude that fact 2. is the one who solves all this? Slow electrons don’t account for the current because the stopping potential stops them?

Oliver321 said:
But what is now the answer?
I forgot the question :wink:
1. higher than what ?
2. the book says no
3. true

Oliver321 said:
No I didn’t. But I will!

But what is now the awnser?
Following is true (?):
1. the kinetic energy of the electrons right after the emission is higher
2. there are as many electrons emitted with less energetic photons as there are with high energetic photons
3. Slow electrons get stopped by the stopping potential

I conclude that fact 2. is the one who solves all this? Slow electrons don’t account for the current because the stopping potential stops them?

You need to figure out what is being kept constant in that question.

If the source is monochromatic (i.e. the light source provides only ONE frequency), then all the photons hitting the cathode will have the same energy. So now, if you increase the energy of every single photon, BUT, keeping the number of photons hitting the cathode per second constant, then will you get a higher current?

Note that you have already said that each photon causes the emission of one electron. So will increasing the energy of the photons make a difference in this standard photoelectric effect scenario?

Zz.

Likes BvU

1. What is current produced by photolectrons?

Current produced by photolectrons refers to the flow of electric charge in a circuit that is generated by the emission of electrons from a material when it is exposed to light. This phenomenon is known as the photoelectric effect and is commonly observed in solar cells and photoelectric detectors.

2. How is current produced by photolectrons measured?

Current produced by photolectrons is measured in amperes (A), which is the unit of electric current. This can be done using an ammeter, which is a device that measures the flow of electric charge in a circuit. The ammeter is placed in series with the circuit to measure the current.

3. What factors affect the amount of current produced by photolectrons?

The amount of current produced by photolectrons is affected by several factors, including the intensity and wavelength of the light, the material of the surface, and the surface area exposed to the light. Increasing the intensity of the light or using a shorter wavelength can result in a higher current, while different materials have different efficiencies in producing photoelectrons.

4. How is current produced by photolectrons used in technology?

Current produced by photolectrons has many practical applications in technology. For example, it is used in solar cells to convert light energy into electricity, in photomultiplier tubes for detecting and amplifying light signals, and in digital cameras to capture images by converting light into electrical signals.

5. What are the potential benefits of current produced by photolectrons?

The use of current produced by photolectrons has many potential benefits, such as providing a renewable and clean source of energy through solar power, enabling sensitive detection of light signals in scientific research and medical imaging, and improving the efficiency and performance of electronic devices such as cameras and sensors.