Current through an inductor after a switch closes

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the current through and voltage potential across a 40 mH inductor in a circuit that has been open for a long time. The homework equations are I(t) = E/R (1 - e^(-R/L*t)) and the question asks for the current right after the switch is closed. The solution is derived to be 0 amps and the voltage across the inductor is 100 volts. The confusion was due to the behavior of the inductor as an open switch at this instant.
David Donald

Homework Statement

11hufqb.png

Let's say I have a circuit such as the one above, and let's say the circuit has been
open for a long time.

How would I find the current through the inductor, the instant after closing the switch?

and the voltage potential across the 40 mh inductor?

Homework Equations

I(t) = E/R ( 1 - e^(-R/L*t) )

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm a bit lost would the current just be the voltage/resistor = 100/120 = .83333 amps??

how would I find the current right after the switch closes?
and then how would I use that to find the voltage across the 30 mH inductor?

Could someone give me an explanation on how to find the current through the inductor and voltage potential, I'm quite lost and confused : /

Physics news on Phys.org
David Donald said:
would the current just be the voltage/resistor = 100/120 = .83333 amps??
No. Put t=0 in this equation.
David Donald said:
I(t) = E/R ( 1 - e^(-R/L*t) )

So the current would just then be 0 ? I(t) = E/R ( 1 - 1) (0) = (0)

David Donald said:
So the current would just then be 0 ?
Yes. Inductor acts as an open switch at this instant. What will be the voltage across this open switch?

cnh1995 said:
Yes. Inductor acts as an open switch at this instant. What will be the voltage across this open switch?

It's 100 volts, I'm not going to bother writing all the work out here since I just derived it on paper.
My confusion just stemmed from the behavior of the inductor itself...

Related to Current through an inductor after a switch closes

1. What is an inductor?

An inductor is an electrical component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. It is typically made of a coil of wire that resists changes in the flow of current.

2. How does an inductor behave when a switch is closed?

When a switch closes, the inductor resists changes in current flow. This means that initially, the inductor will act like a short circuit, allowing current to flow freely. As the magnetic field builds up, the inductor will begin to resist the flow of current until it reaches a steady state.

3. What is the effect of inductance on current flow?

Inductance causes a delay in the current flow in a circuit. This means that when a switch is closed, it takes some time for the current to reach its maximum value due to the inductor's resistance to changes in current flow.

4. How is the current through an inductor calculated after a switch closes?

The current through an inductor can be calculated using the formula I = V/R, where I is the current, V is the voltage, and R is the resistance. However, this formula does not take into account the inductance of the inductor, so a more accurate calculation would involve using the formula I = V/R * (1 - e^(-Rt/L)), where t is the time and L is the inductance.

5. How does the current through an inductor change over time after a switch is closed?

After a switch is closed, the current through an inductor will initially be at its maximum value, then it will gradually decrease until it reaches a steady state. This is because the inductor's resistance to changes in current flow causes a delay in the current reaching its maximum value.