Current variable given through junction crossing

In summary, the problem at hand involves solving using nodal analysis and handling the current indicated in a junction crossing. Despite searching through various sources and consulting with a GSI, the specific interpretation of the current in question remains unclear. However, it seems that ##i_a## must equal the sum of ##15 i_{s1} + 2 mA + I_L + \frac{V_3}{35k\Omega}##, assuming the bottom "rail" is the ground node. Additionally, substituting a 0V voltage source for the connection carrying ia may help clarify the problem.
Practical Cat
Homework Statement
Find Vab as a function of load current device
Relevant Equations
none
I'm supposed to solve this using nodal analysis. No biggie! I'm just not sure how to handle ia. I've never seen a current indicated in a junction crossing. I searched the web and my textbook and found zilch. I asked a GSI and was informed it is indeed written where is supposed to be. Within the node V3. Which has me puzzled. Best I could think of is it's specifically the sum of the 30k 25k & 15Valpha branch currents. Within my mind this interpretation is in superposition; it's flat wrong, and reasonable enough but odd and arcane if indeed correct. I can manage solving once I know how to approach ia, but can anyone weigh in on the spooky current?

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2021-02-23 22-22-48.png
    Screenshot from 2021-02-23 22-22-48.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 115
Physics news on Phys.org
It would appear to me that ##i_a## must equal the sum of

##15 i_{s1} + 2 mA + I_L + \frac{V_3}{35k\Omega}##

1614142159489.png

This presumes that the bottom "rail" is the assumed ground node as shown in the original circuit diagram.

This is not a problem I'd like to face on a midterm :smile:

Likes Practical Cat
You could substitute a 0V voltage source for any connection in that network, for example the connection that carries ia. That may help clarify your thinking about this problem. It's not just any connection, it's the one that they defined as having ia, the current in question. Because they asked about the current between the connections in this node, you have to treat it as two separate nodes with no voltage difference.

1. What is a current variable?

A current variable refers to a quantity that can change or vary in an electric circuit. It is typically measured in amperes (A) and represents the flow of electric charge through a circuit.

2. What is a junction crossing?

A junction crossing is a point in an electric circuit where two or more wires intersect or connect. It is also known as a node and is where current can split or combine depending on the circuit configuration.

3. How is current variable given through junction crossing calculated?

The current variable given through junction crossing can be calculated using Kirchhoff's current law, which states that the total current entering a junction must equal the total current leaving the junction. This law can be applied to determine the current at a specific junction in a circuit.

4. What factors can affect the current variable given through junction crossing?

The current variable given through junction crossing can be affected by factors such as the resistance of the wires, the voltage of the power source, and the number of components connected in the circuit. Changes in these factors can alter the amount of current flowing through a junction.

5. Why is understanding current variable given through junction crossing important?

Understanding current variable given through junction crossing is important for designing and analyzing electric circuits. It allows scientists and engineers to predict and control the flow of current in a circuit, ensuring that the desired amount of electricity is delivered to the intended components.