Voltage response of a resistor in an AC circuit

In summary: An easier way to solve for V2 might be to use Ohm's Law and the current in the inductor. In summary, the homework statement is trying to find the voltage response across resistor R2. The differential equation which would allow you to find the voltage response across resistor R2 is given by: v(t)=Ldi/dt. Using the General Solution for the solution of such a differential equation, the complete solution is found to be: v(t)=8.3+0.5i(t)+0.2L.
Kevin2341

Homework Statement

For the circuit below, assume the source phase angle is 0°

chp9problem1.JPG

Write the differential equation which would allow you to find the voltage response across resistor R2.

Using the General Solution for the solution of such a differential equation write the complete solution for the differential Equation

Write the steady-state solution for voltage response in the time domain.

Homework Equations

Ohm's Law

Inductors
v(t)=Ldi/dt
i(t) = 1/L∫vdt

Capacitors
i(t) = Cdv/dt
v(t) 1/C∫idt

The Attempt at a Solution

My only real thought of how I could solve this would be either to do a nodal analysis of the essential node connecting the three branches with elements, OR, I could source transform my voltage function generator into a current function and use that to do a mesh current analysis.

I'm not 100% sure if nodal analysis works in this case because of the branch containing the 150H Inductor and the 100 Ohm resistor. It seems like nodal analysis usually only contains one element per branch (or in my past experience, I was able to combine multiple resistors in series within a single branch).

If I do a mesh current analysis, using I=V/R, I can convert my source into 4/5cos(377t) current function in parallel with my 150 ohm resistor. However, with this method, I'm pretty unsure of myself. This is my circuit after a source transformation:
chp9problem12.JPG

I don't think I'm able to do a mesh current analysis here because of the fact there is only one source.

I am also not supposed to convert this to a phasor (yet). That's a later part of the this problem, which I think I figured out on my own. It's just this particular part of the problem, all the RLC circuit's we've dealt with have either been completely parallel, or completely series. Never a mixture like this one. The resistor in series with the inductor is particularly puzzling to me, as I'm not sure how to handle it.

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe try going back to basics first and apply KVL & KCL to give you some coupled differential equations. Then you can start reducing them to a single differential equation with the voltage across R2 as the dependent variable.

Mesh or nodal analysis won't do much here to reduce the number of equations you have to work with.

I would replace the voltage source with a current source as you suggested. Then there are just 2 independent nodes V1 and V2. Summing currents to zero at both nodes gets you 2 eq. in V1 and V2. Then just algebra to solve for V2.

What is the voltage response of a resistor in an AC circuit?

The voltage response of a resistor in an AC circuit refers to the change in voltage across the resistor when an alternating current is applied. This is also known as the voltage drop and is influenced by the resistance of the resistor and the frequency of the AC current.

How does the resistance of a resistor affect its voltage response in an AC circuit?

The resistance of a resistor directly affects its voltage response in an AC circuit. The higher the resistance, the greater the voltage drop across the resistor. This means that with a higher resistance, the voltage response will be higher for a given AC current.

What is the relationship between frequency and voltage response in an AC circuit?

The frequency of an AC current has an inverse relationship with the voltage response of a resistor in an AC circuit. This means that as the frequency of the AC current increases, the voltage response across the resistor decreases. This is because higher frequencies have a shorter period, resulting in a shorter time for the voltage to change across the resistor.

Can the voltage response of a resistor in an AC circuit be calculated?

Yes, the voltage response of a resistor in an AC circuit can be calculated using the formula V = IR, where V is the voltage response, I is the AC current, and R is the resistance of the resistor. This formula also takes into account the frequency of the AC current.

What is the phase relationship between voltage and current in an AC circuit with a resistor?

In an AC circuit with a resistor, the voltage and current have a phase difference of 0 degrees. This means that the voltage and current are in phase, and the voltage and current waveforms reach their maximum and minimum values at the same time.