Currents and the quantum effective action

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of effective field theory and the relationship between the classical lagrangian, W[J], and the quantum effective action, Γ[ϕ]. It is explained that Γ[ϕ] is obtained by subtracting the term Jϕ from W[J] and evaluating it at a specific configuration, J[ϕ] = −(δΓ/δϕ). This results in the cancellation of all 1-particle reducible graphs, ensuring that Γ[ϕ] is given by summing 1-particle irreducible graphs. The conversation also touches on the role of tadpole subgraphs in this process and how they contribute to the overall logic.
muppet
Currents and the "quantum" effective action

Hi all,
I've been reading Burgess' Primer on effective field theory: arXiv:hep-th/0701053v2. I can't follow the reasoning here:
W[J] [is] the sum of all connected graphs that are constructed using vertices and propagators built from the classical lagrangian, L, and having the currents, J, as external lines. But [itex]\Gamma[/itex][ϕ] just differs from W[J] by subtracting [itex]\int[/itex]d4x Jϕ, and evaluating the result at the specific configuration J[ϕ] = −(δ[itex]\Gamma[/itex]/δϕ). This merely lops off all of the 1-particle reducible graphs, ensuring that [itex]\Gamma[/itex][ϕ] is given by summing 1-particle irreducible graphs.

I could maybe begin to make sense of this if I were allowed to assume that −(δ[itex]\Gamma[/itex]/δϕ) is the sum of 1PI irreducible graphs with one external line, so that using bubble graphs as "sources" leads to a cancellation of 1 particle reducible diagrams (although in this case it would still be far from obvious to me that this cancellation still works when you have more than two external sources). But as this is what we're puporting to show here, I can't follow the logic at all. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

I don't follow it either. And I guess it's a too late to ask Schwinger. :frown: Anyway for what it's worth, the same argument is made here in Sect 3.8. This one's a little bit more detailed.

Thanks for your reply, Bill_K. If I now understand the problem correctly (and this is the third time I've started penning a reply only to realize that I actually didn't...), the essential points are that
1) The path integral expression for [itex]\Gamma[\phi][/itex] should be thought of as integrating over fluctations about the mean value [itex]\phi[/itex];
2) 1PI subgraphs are essentially factors that multiply any diagrams that contain them.

The first point means that, as we've fixed our current to give a particular value of the VEV, tadpoles that look like they should contribute to the VEV must sum to zero. The second then implies that any diagram containing a tadpole subgraph must itself vanish. I was originally getting hung up on how vanishing tadpoles lead to the "lopping off" of all reducible graphs such as s-channel 2->2 scattering processes in a theory with a 3 point vertex; the point, I think, is that the external legs of such diagrams now vanish, dragging the rest of the diagram along with them.

Related to Currents and the quantum effective action

1. What are currents in quantum physics?

Currents in quantum physics refer to the flow of a conserved quantity, such as electric charge or particle number, in a quantum system. These currents can be described using mathematical operators and have important implications for understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

2. How are currents related to the quantum effective action?

The quantum effective action is a mathematical tool used to calculate the behavior of quantum fields in a given system. Currents play a crucial role in determining the form of the effective action, as they are used to define the conserved quantities that are conserved by the system. The effective action can then be used to make predictions about the behavior of particles in the system.

3. What is the significance of studying currents in quantum physics?

Studying currents in quantum physics is important for understanding the behavior of particles at the most fundamental level. Currents can reveal information about the symmetries and conservation laws of a system, and can also provide insights into the properties of quantum fields and their interactions with each other.

4. How are currents experimentally measured in quantum systems?

Currents in quantum systems can be experimentally measured using techniques such as particle detectors or measuring the flow of electric charge. These measurements can provide valuable information about the behavior of particles and can be used to test theoretical predictions about quantum systems.

5. Can currents be manipulated in quantum systems?

Yes, currents in quantum systems can be manipulated using external forces or by changing the properties of the system itself. This can be achieved by applying electric or magnetic fields, varying the temperature or pressure, or introducing new particles or interactions. These manipulations can help researchers better understand the behavior of quantum systems and potentially lead to new technological applications.