Curvature of an orthogonal projection

In summary: The orthogonal projection of a vector onto a plane is just a straight line, so by definition the curvature is the same at all points on the plane.
Catria

Homework Statement

Let [itex]\vec{X(t)}[/itex]: I [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] ℝ3 be a parametrized curve, and let I [itex]\ni[/itex] t be a fixed point where k(t) [itex]\neq[/itex] 0. Define π: ℝ3 [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] ℝ3 as the orthogonal projection of ℝ3 onto the osculating plane to [itex]\vec{X(t)}[/itex] at t. Define γ=π[itex]\circ[/itex][itex]\vec{X(t)}[/itex] as the orthogonal projection of the space curve [itex]\vec{X(t)}[/itex] onto the opsculating plane. Prove that the curvature k(t) is equal to the curvature of the plane curve [itex]\vec{γ}[/itex].

Homework Equations

k=[itex]\frac{\left\|\vec{X'(t)}\times\vec{X''(t)}\right\|}{\left\|\vec{X'(t)}\right\|^{3}}[/itex] = Curvature

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know how to formulate the equation for the orthogonal projection of X onto the osculating plane, so I can't even begin to understand how to solve the problem in question.

Physics news on Phys.org
If v and B are vectors, the projection of v in the direction of B can be obtained by subtracting out the component of v in the B direction: v - (B.v)B/(B.B).
The tangent vector to the curve should be something like T = X'(t), and the normal N is like T'. The normal to the osculating plane is then B = TxN.
Does that help?

T, N and B form an orthonormal base of R^3 as well... but beyond that is it possible that the curvature of a curve may not be the same as that of its orthogonal projection for all s?

That the curvature is the same in the projection is intuitively obvious, but proving it is the hard part. The use of variables in the question is a bit confusing, using t for a variable and t for a particular value of it, so I'm going to use s for the variable.
Based on what I wrote before, define Y(s) as the projection of X(s). That gives you an equation for Y(s) in terms of X(s) and B, where B is defined in terms of X and its derivatives at the point s = t. You should then be able to write down an expression for the curvature of Y at t. With luck, you can reduce it to k(t).

I realized that the question was perhaps improperly formulated and it should have said that the curvature of the curve C is the same as the curvature of its orthogonal projection at s0 (and not for all s)

Yes, that's how I interpreted it.

Related to Curvature of an orthogonal projection

1. What is the curvature of an orthogonal projection?

The curvature of an orthogonal projection is a measure of how much a surface curves at a given point when projected onto a lower-dimensional space. It is a scalar value that represents the amount of bending or curving at a specific point on the surface.

2. How is the curvature of an orthogonal projection calculated?

The curvature of an orthogonal projection is calculated using the shape operator, which is a linear transformation that describes how the surface changes at a specific point. The curvature is then determined by taking the trace of the shape operator and dividing it by the determinant of the orthogonal projection matrix.

3. What is the significance of the curvature of an orthogonal projection?

The curvature of an orthogonal projection is an important concept in differential geometry and is used to describe the geometry of surfaces. It provides information about the shape and behavior of curves and surfaces, and is also used to solve geometric problems and understand the behavior of physical systems.

4. How does the curvature of an orthogonal projection relate to the Gaussian curvature?

The Gaussian curvature is a specific type of curvature that is defined as the product of the principal curvatures of a surface. The curvature of an orthogonal projection is related to the Gaussian curvature as it is proportional to the Gaussian curvature at a given point on the surface.

5. Can the curvature of an orthogonal projection be negative?

Yes, the curvature of an orthogonal projection can be negative. This indicates that the surface is curved in a concave manner at a given point. A positive curvature indicates a convex curvature, and a curvature of zero indicates a flat surface.