Curve and admissible change of variable

In summary, the conversation discusses two curves, phi(t) and psi(s), and their equivalence. The textbook states that psi(s) is equivalent to phi(t) composed with g^-1(s), where g^-1 is a function mapping s to t. However, there is confusion about the correct formula for g^-1, leading to two different admissible changes of variables. This results in the direction of the curves being opposite. The question asks whether a change of variable can change the direction of a curve.
fcoulomb
Member has been warned not to remove the template.

Homework Statement

If I have the two curves

##\phi (t) = ( \cos t , \sin t ) ## with ## t \in [0, 2\pi]##
##\psi(s) = ( \sin 2s , \cos 2s ) ## with ## s \in [\frac{\pi}{4} , \frac{5 \pi}{4} ] ##

My textbook says that they are equivalent because ##\psi(s) = \phi \circ g^{-1}(s) ## where ## g^{-1} : [\frac{\pi}{4} , \frac{5 \pi}{4} ] \rightarrow [0, 2\pi]## and ##g^{-1}(s)= \frac{5\pi}{2} -2s ## (so ## g^{-1}(5\pi /4) = 0## and ##g^{-1}(\pi /4) = 2\pi ## ).

I found instead ##g^{-1}(s)= 2s - \frac{\pi}{2} ## ( so ##g^{-1}(\pi /4) =0## and ##g^{-1}(5 \pi /4) = 2\pi## )

Now the problem is, there are two admissible changes of variable and if I choose one or the other the way I go on the curve is opposite (because my ##(g^{-1})' > 0 ## and my textbook ## (g^{-1})' <0 ## ).

Now I don't understand if a change of variable can change the way of the curve.
Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you make a plot of the two curves ?

1. What is the concept of "curve" in mathematics?

The concept of "curve" in mathematics refers to a continuous line or path that can be represented by a mathematical equation. It can be a straight line, a circle, a parabola, or any other shape that can be expressed mathematically.

2. What is an admissible change of variable?

An admissible change of variable is a substitution of one variable with another in a mathematical expression or equation, which still preserves the original structure and properties of the equation. It is commonly used in integration to simplify the problem and make it easier to solve.

3. How do you determine if a change of variable is admissible?

A change of variable is considered admissible if it satisfies certain conditions, such as being a one-to-one function, having a continuous derivative, and preserving the boundaries of the problem. These conditions ensure that the new variable can be easily integrated and the solution is still valid.

4. What are some common examples of admissible changes of variable?

Some common examples of admissible changes of variable include using trigonometric functions, exponential functions, or polynomial functions to substitute for a variable in an integral. These changes can help to simplify the problem and make it easier to solve.

5. How does "curve and admissible change of variable" relate to real-world applications?

The concept of "curve and admissible change of variable" is widely used in real-world applications, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It allows scientists to model and solve complex systems by using mathematical equations and integrating them with appropriate changes of variables. This helps to make predictions and analyze real-world phenomena more accurately and efficiently.