Motion of a particle under a tangential force

In summary, the conversation discusses the force and torque on a particle in polar coordinates. The force is written as ##F = m(2\dot{r}\dot{\theta} + r\ddot{\theta})## and this result is consistent with the analysis in the rotating frame of the particle. However, when calculating the torque about the origin, a different result of ##F = mr\ddot{\theta}## is obtained. This is due to the fact that ##\tau = I\alpha## only holds for a fixed radial coordinate. The correct expression for torque is ##\vec{\tau} = \frac{d\vec{L}}{dt} = mr(2\dot{r}\dot{\
etotheipi
Homework Statement
A particle in the x-y plane is subjected to a force ##\vec{F}## which is always perpendicular to the position vector ##\vec{r}##. What's the equation of motion of the particle?
Relevant Equations
N/A
This is diverted from the Classical Physics forum. My first approach was this: the force ##\vec{F}## can be written in polar coordinates as ##\vec{F} = F \hat{\theta}##. It follows that ##F_{\theta} = ma_{\theta} \implies F = m(2\dot{r}\dot{\theta} + r\ddot{\theta})##.

This result also agrees with what we'd get if we analyse the motion in the rotating frame of the particle. The centrifugal force is ##mr\dot{\theta}^2 \hat{r}## away from the axis, the Coriolis force is ##-2m\dot{r}\dot{\theta} \hat{\theta}## and the Euler force is ##-mr\ddot{\theta} \hat{\theta}##. So we again end up with ##F = m(2\dot{r}\dot{\theta} + r\ddot{\theta})## if we balance forces in the ##\hat{\theta}## direction.

However, now I try calculating the torque on the particle about the origin. This is ##\tau_z = I_z \ddot{\theta} \implies Fr = mr^2 \ddot{\theta}## or ##F = mr\ddot{\theta}##. But this is different to the previous result!

I'm struggling to see why these two results differ. Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why should the particle have some torque applied on it?

Lnewqban said:
Why should the particle have some torque applied on it?

The force ##\vec{F}## constitutes a torque on the particle about the origin :smile:.

Actually, I realize my mistake. ##\tau = I\alpha## of course only holds for a fixed radial coordinate!

The full expression should be ##\vec{\tau} = \frac{d\vec{L}}{dt} = m\vec{r} \times \ddot{\vec{r}} = mr\hat{r} \times (2\dot{r}\dot{\theta} + r\ddot{\theta})\hat{\theta} = mr(2\dot{r}\dot{\theta} + r\ddot{\theta})\hat{z} = Fr\hat{z}##, as expected! This reduces to the standard ##I_z \alpha## expression if ##\dot{r}## of all particles is zero.

I need to get more sleep :doh:

Likes Lnewqban

1. What is a tangential force?

A tangential force is a force that acts in a direction tangent to the path of motion of a particle. It is perpendicular to the radial force, which points towards the center of the circular path.

2. How does a tangential force affect the motion of a particle?

A tangential force causes the particle to accelerate in the direction of the force, changing its speed and/or direction of motion. This acceleration is perpendicular to the radial force and is responsible for the change in the particle's velocity.

3. What is the relationship between tangential force and circular motion?

In circular motion, the tangential force is responsible for the change in the particle's speed and direction, while the radial force keeps the particle moving in a circular path. These two forces work together to maintain the particle's motion.

4. How is tangential force related to centripetal force?

Tangential force and centripetal force are two components of the net force acting on a particle in circular motion. The tangential force causes the particle to accelerate tangentially, while the centripetal force acts towards the center of the circular path, keeping the particle moving in a circle.

5. Can a tangential force be constant?

Yes, a tangential force can be constant if the magnitude and direction of the force remain the same. This would result in the particle moving at a constant speed in a circular path.