Cylindrical bar of copper - current, resistance

In summary, a cylindrical bar of copper with a resistance of 0.02 ohms has a power of 10000 watts and a maximum current of 707.11 amperes. When stretched to three times its original length while maintaining constant volume, the new resistance is 0.18 ohms. This can be calculated using the ratio and proportion method, without needing to know the values of resistivity, length or area.
scholio

Homework Statement

a cylindrical bar of copper has a resistance of 0.02 ohms

a) if the power of the bar is 10000 watts, what is the maximum current the bar can carry?

b) the bar is now stretched to 3 times its original length, while the total volume of the bar remains constant. what is the new resistance of the bar?

Homework Equations

power P = IV = I^2R = V^2/R where I is current, R is resistance, V is electric potential

I = VA/L*rho = V / ((rho*L)/A) where A is area, L is length, rho is restivity

V = IR

The Attempt at a Solution

i think i got part a correctly:

P = I^2R
10000 = I^2(0.02)
sqrt(10000/0.02) = I
I = 707.11 amperes

as for part b, do i need to use the resistivity of copper, rho_copper = 1.68*10^-8 ohm-m :

V = IR = 707.11(0.02) = 14.14 volts

I = VA/L*rho = 14.14A/3L(1.68*10^-8) ---> holding A and L constant
I = 14.14/(3*(1.68*10^-8)) = 2.81*10^8 ampere ---> that is massive!

i think i did part a correctly, very doubtful of part be though

please tell me what needs to be fixed

Physics news on Phys.org
When you stretch the wire keeping volume constant, length increases and area decreases.
Resistance of the bar R = rho*L/A = rho*L*L/A*L = rho*L^2/V, where V is the volume of the bar.

why is the L squared in the numerator?

since part b states that the bar is stretched three times its original length and volume remains constant R = rho(3^2)/1 = 1.68*10^-8(9) = 1.51*10^-7 ohms

now that's tiny, does it make sense though?

You don't want you use the resistivity of copper unless you assume some values for A and L that will give you a resistance of 0.02 ohms. In your treatment A and L just disappeared. If the original resistance is R=0.02 ohms=rho*L/A. Let the new length and area be L' and A'. The volume is L*A. If L'=3*L, then what is the relation between A and A' that will keep the volume constant? How will that change the value of R?

if V = AL = A'L' where L' = 3L, then A' = A/3, correct?

so new resistance R = rho*3L/(A/3) = rho*9L/A= rho*9 = 1.68*10^-8(9) = 1.51*10^-7 ohms

isn't that what i got before?

The first part is correct. Yes, the new resistance is rho*9*L/A. That's 9*(rho*L/A) and rho*L/A is the original resistance of 0.02 ohms. What's the new resistance? Do you see why you don't actually need to know rho (or A or L)??

oh, i see, i would've never even saw that coming if you hadn't told me, so now R = 9(0.02) = 0.18 ohms

correct?

thanks

Correct. It's just a ratio and proportion argument. Don't forget that trick, saves you a lot of work. Welcome.

1. What is a cylindrical bar of copper?

A cylindrical bar of copper is a solid piece of copper that is shaped like a cylinder. It is a common form of copper used in various industries due to its high electrical and thermal conductivity.

2. How does current flow through a cylindrical bar of copper?

Current flows through a cylindrical bar of copper when an electric potential difference is applied across its ends. This creates an electric field which causes the free electrons in the copper to move, creating an electric current.

3. What is the relationship between current and resistance in a cylindrical bar of copper?

The relationship between current and resistance in a cylindrical bar of copper is described by Ohm's Law, which states that the current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage applied and inversely proportional to the resistance of the conductor.

4. How does the resistance of a cylindrical bar of copper vary with temperature?

The resistance of a cylindrical bar of copper increases with an increase in temperature. This is due to an increase in collisions between the free electrons and the copper atoms, which hinders the flow of current and increases the resistance.

5. What factors can affect the resistance of a cylindrical bar of copper?

The resistance of a cylindrical bar of copper can be affected by factors such as temperature, length, cross-sectional area, and the type and purity of the copper used. The resistance also increases with the presence of impurities or defects in the copper.