Cylindrical barrel Hydrostatic Pressure

In summary, the question is asking to find the net force against each end of a half-full circular cylindrical barrel filled with oil, with a diameter of 8.0 m and a density of 800 kg/m3. The solution involves finding the pressure at the center of mass and multiplying it by the area, or by integrating the expression for force for an elemental depth from 0 to the radius.
BrianSauce

Homework Statement

A circular cylindrical barrel is half full with oil. If the diameter of the base is 8.0 m, find the net force against each end if ρo = 800 kg/m3. The cylinder is on its side.

Homework Equations

F=P*A
P=ρgdy

The Attempt at a Solution

P = ρo*g*h, where h is the radius which is 4 meters.
A = half the area of a circle, 1/2πr2
F=ρogh*1/2πr2

The answer is incorrect, what am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pressure is a function of depth, so is Force. To find the net force you need to write the expression for force for an elemental depth and then integrate from 0 to radius r.

F=1/2πr2ρog∫0r-√r2-y2
?

That doesn't look right to me.

F= ρg∫0r 2h * √(r2-h2) dh

a simple substitution of variables solves this integral.

Another way that this problem can be solved is to find the center of pressure and then multiply the area with the pressure at (c.o.p).

Hope it helped.

Attachments

• 2016-02-28-20-39-51-2255.jpg
    2016-02-28-20-39-51-2255.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 419
Last edited:
I understand the center of pressure part. Since this is a semicircle I could find the pressure at the center of mass and then just multiply it by the area. I will use this to solve it. I don't understand your integral though; where did 2h come from?

Check the attached image.

Using c.o.p is fine but it isn't by first principles. Also if the center of pressure isn't already given then you need to integrate to find it.

Thank you for your help, to me finding center of masses for symmetrical objects seems a little more intuitive than what you did. However, for an object that isn't symmetrical I'll have to use your method. Either way thank you very much.

What is Cylindrical Barrel Hydrostatic Pressure?

Cylindrical barrel hydrostatic pressure is the force exerted by a liquid on the walls of a cylindrical container, such as a barrel. This pressure is caused by the weight of the liquid above it and is proportional to the depth of the liquid.

How is Cylindrical Barrel Hydrostatic Pressure calculated?

The formula for calculating cylindrical barrel hydrostatic pressure is P = ρgh, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of the liquid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the depth of the liquid.

What factors affect Cylindrical Barrel Hydrostatic Pressure?

The factors that affect cylindrical barrel hydrostatic pressure include the density of the liquid, the depth of the liquid, and the acceleration due to gravity. Additionally, the shape and size of the cylindrical container can also impact the pressure.

What is the importance of Cylindrical Barrel Hydrostatic Pressure in engineering?

In engineering, cylindrical barrel hydrostatic pressure is important for designing structures that can withstand the force of liquids, such as dams, pipelines, and water tanks. It is also crucial in calculating the stability and buoyancy of ships and submarines.

How is Cylindrical Barrel Hydrostatic Pressure different from atmospheric pressure?

Cylindrical barrel hydrostatic pressure is the pressure exerted by a liquid, while atmospheric pressure is the pressure exerted by the weight of the air in the atmosphere. Additionally, atmospheric pressure is constant at a given altitude, while hydrostatic pressure varies with the depth of the liquid.