Forces due to atmospheric pressure won't cancel in an open tank

In summary, the conversation involves a discussion about the hydrostatic force on the bottom of an open liquid filled tank and its relationship to atmospheric pressure. The conversation also includes equations such as the hydrostatic equation and Newton's Second and Third Laws. The individual is seeking clarification on their incorrect application of the Newton's Second Law and substitution of equations. Another individual provides a counterexample using a swimming pool and explains the difference between the total force and the hydrostatic force exerted by a fluid. In conclusion, the correct hydrostatic force is the weight of the fluid, not the combination of atmospheric and liquid pressure.
Miguel Velasquez

Homework Statement

[/B]
I am trying to understand why books always point as a fact that hydrostatic force on the bottom of a open liquid filled tank doesn't depend on the force due atmospheric pressure because they these forces cancels each other.

Homework Equations

[/B]
P=[P][/o]+ρgh

F=P*A

Third/Second's Newton Law.

The Attempt at a Solution

Please indicate in which step i went wrong instead just pointing the same argument that books provides without formulas/eqs. Like, "Your application of the Newton's second law is wrong, or your substitution from eq. (1) into (2) is wrong". Thanks very much in advance.

http://docdro.id/SYbWm95[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Miguel Velasquez said:
Please indicate in which step i went wrong ...
You don't show any steps, just two equations both of which are correct and the names of two Laws. Steps would be what you make of all these. So I will present you with a picture and ask you a question.

Suppose you are at sea level and put a glass (tank) filled with water on a scale and it reads 10 N. Then you climb to the top of a 2 km high mountain where the atmospheric pressure is lower. What do you think the scale will read? Neglect the buoyant force of the air.

I don't see where your analysis in conflict with the statement. The net force on the bottom of the tank from the liquid pressure above and the air pressure below is just equal to the weight of the fluid in the tank: $$F_{liq}-F(atm\ below)=mg$$

kuruman said:
You don't show any steps, just two equations both of which are correct and the names of two Laws. Steps would be what you make of all these. So I will present you with a picture and ask you a question.

Suppose you are at sea level and put a glass (tank) filled with water on a scale and it reads 10 N. Then you climb to the top of a 2 km high mountain where the atmospheric pressure is lower. What do you think the scale will read? Neglect the buoyant force of the air.

Sorry maybe i have should pointing from the beginning my attempt to solve the problem was in the pdf file, i repost the link http://docdro.id/SYbWm95

Chestermiller said:
I don't see where your analysis in conflict with the statement. The net force on the bottom of the tank from the liquid pressure above and the air pressure below is just equal to the weight of the fluid in the tank: $$F_{liq}-F(atm\ below)=mg$$

I must be doing something wrong because books point the F_liq=MassLiquid*g. See by example "Serway - Physics for Scientists, 7th Ed, page 409, exercise 11."

"11. A swimming pool has dimensions 30.0 m 10.0 m and a
flat bottom. When the pool is filled to a depth of 2.00 m
with fresh water, what is the force caused by the water on
the bottom? On each end? On each side?"

The answer on the bottom is F_liq=M*g=ρVg=5.88x10^6 N ≠ My result = mg+F_atm

Miguel Velasquez said:
I must be doing something wrong because books point the F_liq=MassLiquid*g. See by example "Serway - Physics for Scientists, 7th Ed, page 409, exercise 11."

"11. A swimming pool has dimensions 30.0 m 10.0 m and a
flat bottom. When the pool is filled to a depth of 2.00 m
with fresh water, what is the force caused by the water on
the bottom? On each end? On each side?"

The answer on the bottom is F_liq=M*g=ρVg=5.88x10^6 N ≠ My result = mg+F_atm
Well, your answer is more correct than the book.

Chestermiller said:
Well, your answer is more correct than the book.

I got that feeling too, i have been checking this result for weeks, with few sleep and can't find any mistake in my reasoning. Can anyone else confirm if this result is correct/wrong please?

You don't need anyone else to confirm this. I have lots of experience in fluid mechanics. This same kind of deal comes into play when doing macroscopic momentum balances on fluid flow in ducts of varying cross section, in determining the additional force exerted on the duct wall when the fluid is flowing. See this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/nozzle-conservation-of-momentum.901349/

Last edited:
I think that Serway is correct if by "hydrostatic force" is meant force exerted by a fluid other than air. In other words the hydrostatic force is "gauge pressure times area". Take an empty container standing on a table. Pump some air in it to pressurize the container to 2p0. What is the total force at the bottom of the container? Answer: 2p0A (neglecting the weight of the air). Is that the hydrostatic force? No, because air does not count as something that exerts a hydrostatic force. Note that 2p0A is the force due to gauge pressure; we did not subtract p0A which is the force exerted on the outside of the bottom by atmospheric pressure.

Now put fluid of density ρ to height h in the container and vent some of the air so that the pressure above the surface is maintained at 2p0. What is the total force now? Answer: 2p0 + ρghA. OK, but what is the hydrostatic force on the bottom? Answer: ρghA, the increase to the existing force due to the addition of the fluid. That difference is, quite simply, the weight of the fluid.

kuruman said:
I think that Serway is correct if by "hydrostatic force" is meant force exerted by a fluid other than air. In other words the hydrostatic force is "gauge pressure times area". Take an empty container standing on a table. Pump some air in it to pressurize the container to 2p0. What is the total force at the bottom of the container? Answer: 2p0A (neglecting the weight of the air). Is that the hydrostatic force? No, because air does not count as something that exerts a hydrostatic force. Note that 2p0A is the force due to gauge pressure; we did not subtract p0A which is the force exerted on the outside of the bottom by atmospheric pressure.

Now put fluid of density ρ to height h in the container and vent some of the air so that the pressure above the surface is maintained at 2p0. What is the total force now? Answer: 2p0 + ρghA. OK, but what is the hydrostatic force on the bottom? Answer: ρghA, the increase to the existing force due to the addition of the fluid. That difference is, quite simply, the weight of the fluid.
I think the OP understands all this.

Thanks to both for your response, sorry for late reply, there was a blackout earlier. Ill try to read carefully both answers to see if i can clarify my doubt.

Miguel Velasquez said:
the force caused by the water
The trouble is that "caused by" is ambiguous. It could mean the direct force the water applies to the surface, as you have interpreted it, but it could equally be interpreted as meaning the difference made by the presence of the water. Indeed, the second seems more reasonable to me.

haruspex said:
The trouble is that "caused by" is ambiguous. It could mean the direct force the water applies to the surface, as you have interpreted it, but it could equally be interpreted as meaning the difference made by the presence of the water. Indeed, the second seems more reasonable to me.
Yes. One has to be very careful to understand specifically what the literature author intends to be saying in these contexts.

I would add that I prefer the way Miguel analyzes this because there is less chance for error in solving actual problems. Of course, once he gets comfortable with it, he can switch to working in terms of gauge pressures and forces (for incompressible fluids).

I agree with you, I am tired to check over and over my result, it doesn't seems to be nothing wrong with it, nothing wrong with math or reasoning, its a problem about definition. How do books define "Force exerted by a liquid in open liquid filled tank" is the question to answer. If we define the force caused by liquid as direct force that liquid exerts on the bottom surface, then

[F][/liq]≡[F][/DirectOnSurflByLiq]=mg+[F][/atm]

and if we define the force caused by liquid as the weight of liquid, then

[F][/liq]≡[F][/DirectOnSurflByLiq]-[F][/atm]=mgI wish authors in books define concepts in a very clearly way, there should not be space for ambiguity in science. If anyone has anything else to add to this post, i would like to conclude it.

Thank you very much to Chestermiller, kuruman and haruspex for your time and your sharp comments. I appreciate it.

What is meant by "forces due to atmospheric pressure won't cancel in an open tank"?

When a liquid is placed in an open tank, the air above it exerts a pressure on the surface of the liquid. This pressure is known as atmospheric pressure. The liquid also exerts a downward force due to its weight. These two forces do not cancel each other out, resulting in a net force acting on the surface of the liquid.

Why won't the forces due to atmospheric pressure cancel in an open tank?

This is because atmospheric pressure acts on the surface of the liquid from all directions, whereas the weight of the liquid only acts downward. As a result, the net force exerted on the surface of the liquid is not equal to zero.

How does this phenomenon affect the liquid in the tank?

The net force exerted on the surface of the liquid causes the liquid to exert a pressure on the walls of the tank. This pressure is known as hydrostatic pressure and it increases with depth. This is why liquids in open tanks are capable of exerting a significant amount of pressure on their surroundings.

Can the forces due to atmospheric pressure be canceled in a closed tank?

Yes, in a closed tank, the air above the liquid is contained and the pressure is equal on all sides. This results in the forces due to atmospheric pressure canceling each other out, resulting in a net force of zero on the surface of the liquid.

How is this phenomenon important in practical applications?

The concept of forces due to atmospheric pressure is important in various practical applications, such as in the design of water tanks, dams, and other structures that hold liquids. It also plays a role in determining the stability of ships and submarines. Understanding this phenomenon is crucial in engineering and designing structures that can withstand the forces exerted by liquids in open tanks.