Cylindrical Gaussian Surface around charged rod

In summary, the question asks for the magnitude of the electric field at two different radial distances from a steel tube with a known charge and diameter. The answer for part b can be found using Gauss's law, while the answer for part a is unclear due to the size of the gaussian surface being smaller than the rod it is meant to surround. There may be uneven charge distribution on the tube due to its material being a conductor.
Mnemonic

Homework Statement

a) 21.4-nC of charge is placed on a 4.8-m long steel tube with a d = 5.9-cm diameter. What is the magnitude of the electric field as a radial distance of r = d / 3?

b) What is the magnitude of the electric field as a radial distance of r = 20 d?

I was able to determine the answer to b) using Gauss's law however I don't know how to determine the answer to a) as the gaussian surface cylinder appears to be smaller than rod it is meant to surround.

Homework Equations

Φnet=∫ E.dA
ξ0Φ=q(enclosed)
ξ0 is meant to mean epsilon nought

The Attempt at a Solution

For part b):
Surround the rod with a gaussian cylinder of length (l) 6.3 metres and radius (r) 20*0.059

Flux on end caps are zero so:
Φnet=∫ E.dA
=E*2*Pi*r*l

ξ0Φ=q(enclosed)

Rearrange for E=q/(2Pi*r*lξ0)This gives me the E for part b)

For part a I tried the same method but with radius=1/3*0.059

Is this correct?

I also considered the fact that since the Gaussian Field is smaller than the charged object the Electric field would equal zero as all the charge is on the surface of the object.

What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not a very well defined question. Are you supposed to assume that the charge is evenly distributed on the tube? This will not actually happen since steel is a conductor and the charge distribution will be unevenly distributed. Since I assume the tube is hollow, there is no charge inside it and there would not be even if it was a solid cylinder (again, since steel is a conductor).

1. What is a cylindrical Gaussian surface?

A cylindrical Gaussian surface is a hypothetical surface that is used to analyze the electric field of a charged rod. It is a cylindrical shape that surrounds the rod and is used to simplify the calculations of the electric field.

2. How is a cylindrical Gaussian surface different from other types of surfaces?

A cylindrical Gaussian surface is different from other types of surfaces because it is a closed surface that completely surrounds the charged rod, while other surfaces may only partially enclose the charged object.

3. What is the purpose of using a cylindrical Gaussian surface around a charged rod?

The purpose of using a cylindrical Gaussian surface is to simplify the calculation of the electric field of a charged rod. This is achieved by using Gauss's law which states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the total enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of the medium.

4. How is the electric field calculated using a cylindrical Gaussian surface?

The electric field is calculated by using Gauss's law and the symmetry of the cylindrical Gaussian surface. The electric field is assumed to be constant and perpendicular to the surface, and the enclosed charge is used to determine the electric field strength.

5. Can a cylindrical Gaussian surface be used for any charged object?

No, a cylindrical Gaussian surface is only suitable for calculating the electric field of a charged rod. For other types of charged objects, different types of surfaces, such as spherical or planar, may be used to simplify the calculations.