Dangers with a diving bell combined with a long snorkel

• B
  • Thread starter Philip Koeck
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bell
In summary: So any air that is more than a lungful is under pressure and can over-expand the lung on the way up.As for the risk of embolism or decompression sickness, it depends on the duration and depth of the free dive. The longer and deeper the dive, the greater the risk. It's important to properly equalize pressure in the ears and sinuses during the dive to avoid these issues.
Philip Koeck
TL;DR Summary
What could be the dangers with snorkeling from a diving bell if the snorkel is extended by a hose pipe?
I'm thinking of using an upside down bucket placed at a depth of about 1 meter as a diving bell. Then I want to connect a garden hose pipe to a snorkel and put the other end of the hose pipe into the diving bell. I simply want more time and a bit of mobility under water in order to do a job. I would breath in through my mouth using the snorkel and out through my nose to avoid accumulating used air in the diving bell. Is there any danger I'm not considering, especially if my lungs are not at the same depth as the air in the diving bell?

Physics news on Phys.org
How will you pump the air into the bell?

I would work with just one filling, so to say. Lower the bucket upside down. There would have to a valve on the hose pipe (or a clamp), which I open when I'm under water with the snorkel in my mouth.

You need to be aware of air embolism which is most pernicious in depth excursions near the surface because the relative pressure changes are largest. I think even a meter of depth can give you trouble if you took a big lung full and surfaced holding your breath. So some care is necessary.

Likes Lnewqban and berkeman
Philip Koeck said:
Summary:: What could be the dangers with snorkeling from a diving bell if the snorkel is extended by a hose pipe?

Is there any danger I'm not considering, especially if my lungs are not at the same depth as the air in the diving bell?
You will need to keep the bell at the depth of your lungs to avoid over or under pressure. The buoyancy of the bell will be very unstable. The hose will tend to collapse if it goes below the bell.

Likes hutchphd
Philip Koeck said:
I would work with just one filling, so to say. Lower the bucket upside down. There would have to a valve on the hose pipe (or a clamp), which I open when I'm under water with the snorkel in my mouth.
As a diver, I don't like the idea. Much better would be to use a standard solution to this problem, like a SpareAir tank. They only cost about $100, but I'm not sure whether you need a SCUBA license to get them refilled at dive shops...

https://www.spareair.com/info/info-compared.html

https://www.spareair.com/models/models-index.html

Actually, it looks like you don't need to use a dive shop to refill them: https://www.spareair.com/operation/operation-refilling.html

https://www.spareair.com/data1/images/spareair_banner_1200x400_1min.jpg

1599481700152.png

Likes DaveE and Lnewqban
hutchphd said:
You need to be aware of air embolism which is most pernicious in depth excursions near the surface because the relative pressure changes are largest. I think even a meter of depth can give you trouble if you took a big lung full and surfaced holding your breath. So some care is necessary.
Would emptying the lungs as much as possible before coming to the surface be a sufficient safety measure?

Philip Koeck said:
Would emptying the lungs as much as possible before coming to the surface be a sufficient safety measure?
When ascending after inhaling compressed air, you blow bubbles all the way up. The air in your lungs is expanding, so you need to keep letting it out or risk the embolism.

Have you considered getting your SCUBA license? It's a pretty fun sport, after all... :smile:

Likes Lnewqban, hutchphd, Dale and 1 other person
In fact you will be limited to depths less than the bell because your lungs cannot "suck". And pulling the bell below water will require some force...each lungfull is about a gallon (7.5 pounds buoyancy). I say pulling because pushing is very difficult and unstable as @Dale points out.

Likes Lnewqban
This thread seems to have the theme "Why go to all the bother of getting the equipment and training to do this safely if I am just going to do this once?"

Let me say that that strategy works. Unless is doesn't.

Likes berkeman
Vanadium 50 said:
Let me say that that strategy works. Unless is doesn't.
Reminds me of a saying we have in EMS -- "The bleeding always stops. One way or another..."

• Haha
Likes DaveE, Nugatory, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person
berkeman said:
The bleeding always stops. One way or another...

How far can I drive on these old tires?
All the way to the scene of the accident.

• Haha
Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
Reminds me of a saying we have in EMS -- "The bleeding always stops. One way or another..."
:smile: :wink:
Firefighters have the same saying -- "No matter what you do or don't do, the fire will eventually go out."

Also pilots --- "What goes up must come down."

Also sailors --- "Unless you are in the Southern Ocean, sailing East or West eventually brings you to land."

Other professions?

anorlunda said:
Other professions?
The second law of thermodynamics?

anorlunda said:
Also pilots --- "What goes up must come down."

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

More relevant to this thread is: If you can't afford to do something right, then be doggone sure you can afford to do it wrong.

hutchphd said:
Would you care to elaborate on that statement?
I am interested on free diving related to spearfishing, which I have been practicing for many years.

What is the main difference between the situation you describe and free diving or submerging up to 10 meters depth and breath-holding until resurfacing?
Does free diving present a risk of embolism or decompression sickness?

Lnewqban said:
What is the main difference between the situation you describe and free diving or submerging up to 10 meters depth and breath-holding until resurfacing?
The main difference is that in free diving a lungful of air is inhaled at atmospheric pressure. The air volume only gets smaller from there. In this scenario a lungful of air is inhaled under pressure. The volume can expand to larger than a lungful from there.

Likes russ_watters, hutchphd, DaveC426913 and 2 others
Lnewqban said:
Does free diving present a risk of embolism or decompression sickness?
No, @Dale is correct. In free diving, you are not breathing in compressed air.

Likes sophiecentaur, hutchphd, DaveC426913 and 1 other person
Philip Koeck said:
If you are at a depth of only 1m, there is no problem at all. You can breath fine at the surface with your body vertically in the water. You are just suggesting the same thing with a pressure of +1m of water pressure. During scuba training, they give you a long tube to breathe through but your lungs won't inflate with your diaphragm 1m below (diaphragm is not designed to do that). With your lungs near the surface and your head down, you can do 50cm better!

I remember reading a book Treasure Diving Holidays by Barny Crile (1950s) and they were not using SCUBA but used air, piped to their face masks and excess air spilled out of the mask. They used a pressure control valve as they were at a depth of several metres but a pump could easily be arranged to supply air to just 1m depth.

There are many electric air pumps (for inflatables, even) that will provide a good excess volume flow of air to that depth (0.1 Bar). You would need a helper to monitor things - but you would be daft to be doing this stuff on your own any way.

I would be inclined to use a small 'diving bell' (clear plastic) - just covering your head and reacting on your shoulders and arrange for a constant spillage of air (behind you) to ensure you always have some air at mouth level. You would need the bell to be held down by a weight, hanging down below you, for stability.

BTW my frequent comment about the need for a diagram of some sort really applies here. How big, how deep and how long for?

Likes Philip Koeck
I don't like your plan, but others have covered that.

The most important rule in SCUBA diving, if you breath air underwater (from virtually any source):
NEVER HOLD YOUR BREATH!

Your lung tissue is very weak and easily injured by excess pressure. Your open airway is the safety valve.

Likes sophiecentaur and hutchphd
DaveE said:
NEVER HOLD YOUR BREATH!
Absolutely!. Always breathe out on the way up. A full breath taken at 1m will be 10% bigger (in either pressure or volume) at the surface. That could be enough to do harm, worst case.

Likes sophiecentaur
Okay, I think we've done the best we can to advise the OP in this thread. I'll go ahead and close it now. Thank you everybody for trying to offer good advice.

Likes sophiecentaur

What is a diving bell?

A diving bell is a submersible vessel used for underwater exploration, typically consisting of a large airtight chamber that is open at the bottom and is lowered into the water by a cable. The air inside the bell allows divers to breathe and work underwater for extended periods of time.

What are the dangers associated with using a diving bell?

The primary danger associated with using a diving bell is the risk of decompression sickness. This occurs when a diver ascends too quickly, causing nitrogen bubbles to form in the body tissues. Other potential dangers include equipment failure, entanglement, and loss of communication with the surface.

What is a long snorkel and how is it used with a diving bell?

A long snorkel is a tube used for breathing while swimming on the surface of the water. It is typically used in conjunction with a diving bell to provide a continuous air supply to the divers inside the bell. The snorkel is connected to the bell through a hose and is used to replenish the air supply as needed.

What precautions should be taken when using a diving bell and long snorkel?

Before using a diving bell and long snorkel, it is important to properly train and certify all divers involved. It is also essential to have a thorough understanding of the equipment and its limitations. Regular maintenance and safety checks should be performed on the diving bell and snorkel to ensure they are in good working condition.

Are there any alternative methods for underwater exploration that may be safer than using a diving bell and long snorkel?

Yes, there are alternative methods for underwater exploration that may be considered safer than using a diving bell and long snorkel. These include using a scuba diving system with proper training and certification, or utilizing remotely operated vehicles (ROVs) or autonomous underwater vehicles (AUVs) for exploration in deeper waters.