Snorkel Breathing: Max Length & Factors Explained

• Thread starter S. Moger
  • Start date
In summary, the maximum length for functional snorkels is limited by two main factors: the dead space where you inhale the same air you exhale, and the extra pressure from descending to depth which can overwhelm your chest muscles. While both factors play a role, the overwhelming pressure is the dominant factor. Diffusion may not be enough to equalize partial pressures quickly, and muscle work may be necessary for convection. The dead space can be reduced with 2 tubes and flapper valves, but the water pressure remains a limiting factor.
S. Moger
Hi,

I have seen multiple explanations as to why there has to be a maximum length for functional snorkels.

1. You inhale the same air that you exhale. (I.e. the so called "dead space" is too large).

2. The extra pressure, provided by the depth, on your chest is too overwhelming for your muscles to perform work against.

I'm sure both are factors, but which would dominate?

I made a quick estimate for 2. which maximizes realistic length at about 0.5m (all below the surface).

About 1. Wouldn't partial pressures equalize quickly enough through diffusion? Or is the gradient too small?

1. and 2. are possibly coupled. Because if diffusion would be enough, number 2 would be somewhat redundant -unless- expansion through muscle work is required to increase diffusion area or decrease diffusion length or alter pressure (if it plays a role). If passive diffusion is not enough, convection would presumably be the main purpose of muscle work?

#1 could possibly be overcome through breathing out through the nose while breathing in through the mouth.

Physics news on Phys.org
S. Moger said:
Hi,

I have seen multiple explanations as to why there has to be a maximum length for functional snorkels.

1. You inhale the same air that you exhale. (I.e. the so called "dead space" is too large).

2. The extra pressure, provided by the depth, on your chest is too overwhelming for your muscles to perform work against.

I'm sure both are factors, but which would dominate?

I made a quick estimate for 2. which maximizes realistic length at about 0.5m (all below the surface).

About 1. Wouldn't partial pressures equalize quickly enough through diffusion? Or is the gradient too small?

1. and 2. are possibly coupled. Because if diffusion would be enough, number 2 would be somewhat redundant -unless- expansion through muscle work is required to increase diffusion area or decrease diffusion length or alter pressure (if it plays a role). If passive diffusion is not enough, convection would presumably be the main purpose of muscle work?

#1 could possibly be overcome through breathing out through the nose while breathing in through the mouth.

Speaking as someone who has done the experiment (as a kid) in a pool, #2 is the only factor, IMO. If you use a small diameter hose, the dead space is not that large compared to your lung capacity.

berkeman said:
Speaking as someone who has done the experiment (as a kid) in a pool, #2 is the only factor, IMO. If you use a small diameter hose, the dead space is not that large compared to your lung capacity.

But if you use small diameter hose, it takes much more effort to breathe.

Plus, you may be not aware of the fact you are breathing mostly the same air from the dead space.

I get the part where the dead space has to be smaller than the "lung capacity" IRV + TV = IC (about 3.5 l) in theory, but then it must be the time to equilibrium that sets the limit. There's both a temperature gradient and a concentration gradient between the exhaled air and the atmosphere. Maybe Ficks law could be used to estimate it, but it requires an estimate of the diffusion coefficient.

In my mind I've always pictured the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution to justify a very quick diffusion process, where there are few collisions, but it doesn't seem to hold here?

X2604-S-43.png

TV is about 0.5 l, while the dead space present in the conducting airways (eg. bronchi, trachea) is about 0.15 l .

The dead space problem could be easily overcome using 2 tubes and 2 flapper valves so that one tube only let's air down and the other only let's air up. The pressure problem is a real limiting factor.

mrspeedybob said:
The dead space problem could be easily overcome using 2 tubes and 2 flapper valves so that one tube only let's air down and the other only let's air up.

The second tube can be omitted. The air out valve is sufficient. But as it is impossible to blow out water in this configuration there must be an additional mechanism to keep water out of the tube.

Borek said:
But if you use small diameter hose, it takes much more effort to breathe.

Plus, you may be not aware of the fact you are breathing mostly the same air from the dead space.

I used a piece of common garden hose as a 10 year-old kid in the backyard pool, which is I guess a medium-diameter hose... :smile:

mrspeedybob said:
The dead space problem could be easily overcome using 2 tubes and 2 flapper valves so that one tube only let's air down and the other only let's air up. The pressure problem is a real limiting factor.

I agree with this approach. Then the main problem is the water pressure, which becomes very apparent as you try to descend more than a meter or so...

1. What is snorkel breathing?

Snorkel breathing is a technique used while swimming with a snorkel, which is a tube that allows the swimmer to breathe through their mouth while their face is submerged in the water. This allows for a longer period of time underwater without needing to come up for air.

2. How long should my snorkel be?

The length of your snorkel should be based on your height and the depth of the water you will be swimming in. As a general rule, your snorkel should be long enough to reach above the surface of the water when you are standing in chest-deep water. This typically ranges from 12-18 inches.

3. What factors affect the length of my snorkel?

The main factors that affect the length of your snorkel are your height, the depth of the water, and the type of snorkel you are using. Additionally, the shape and size of your face can also play a role in determining the length of your snorkel.

4. Can using a longer snorkel improve my breathing while swimming?

While using a longer snorkel may seem like it would allow for better breathing, it is not recommended. A longer snorkel can increase the amount of CO2 buildup in the tube, making it harder to inhale and exhale properly. It is best to use a snorkel that is just long enough for your needs.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when using a snorkel for breathing?

Yes, there are a few other factors to keep in mind when using a snorkel for breathing. It is important to maintain proper posture and breathing techniques while using a snorkel, as well as using a mouthpiece that fits comfortably and securely in your mouth. It is also recommended to practice using a snorkel in shallow water before attempting to use it in deeper water.