In summary, In this 3-part series, I want to motivate the (re)introduction of the cosmological constant ##\Lambda## into Einstein’s equations of general relativity (GR) per the Supernova Cosmology Project (SCP) Union2.1 type Ia supernova data. As you probably know, this discovery won Perlmutter, Schmitt, and Riess the 2011 Nobel Prize in Physics “for the discovery of the accelerating expansion of the Universe through observations of distant supernovae.” ##\Lambda## is referred to as “dark energy” and as we will see in Part 2 it leads to the accelerating expansion of the universe. Part 1 covers Ed
RUTA
Science Advisor
Insights Author
In this 3-part series, I want to motivate the (re)introduction of the cosmological constant ##\Lambda## into Einstein’s equations of general relativity (GR) per the Supernova Cosmology Project (SCP) Union2.1 type Ia supernova data. As you probably know, this discovery won Perlmutter, Schmitt, and Riess the 2011 Nobel Prize in Physics “for the discovery of the accelerating expansion of the Universe through observations of distant supernovae.” ##\Lambda## is referred to as “dark energy” and as we will see in Part 2 it leads to the accelerating expansion of the universe. In this Insight (Part 1 of the series), I will introduce Einstein-deSitter (EdS) cosmology. In Part 2, I will introduce ##\Lambda##CDM cosmology (essentially EdS + ##\Lambda##). In Part 3, I will introduce the notion of distance modulus in astronomy and fit the SCP Union2.1 type Ia supernova data (distance modulus versus redshift) with both of...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Likes QuantumQuest, exmarine, Drakkith and 2 others
Space news on Phys.org
Is there some way to download threads like this, say to a pdf, so I can study them off-line? When I hit print in the Edge browser, I do not get a very good printout. Thanks.

exmarine said:
Is there some way to download threads like this, say to a pdf, so I can study them off-line? When I hit print in the Edge browser, I do not get a very good printout. Thanks.
Sorry, I would like to do the same, but there is no way I know. If there's only text, no LaTeX math, you can copy/paste.

Do you want my original file with the LaTeX equations?

Likes exmarine
Yes please. And thanks!

I copied it into a Word document attached here.

Attachments

• DE1LaTeX.docx
    49.1 KB · Views: 263
Likes exmarine and bornofflame
exmarine said:
1. Install a PDF Printer like PrimoPDF
2. In the browser go File > Print ..., and choose PrimoPDF.

You have now created a PDF file.

You can use PDFSAM to split and merge PDF files.

Using Edge? Bin it and use Firefox!

• Haha
Likes member 587159 and exmarine
Ah thanks FRODO. That is basically what I am doing. I have a PDF printer installed, and regularly use FireFox as well as Edge. But that has always produced jumbled and garbled page headers and text, basically unreadable. RUTA kindly made his Word file available, but it had the equations and symbols in LaTeX format. I managed to get all of those changed into readable format and over into a PDF file. (Is there some way, addin, app, or whatever to make that easy to do?! It took me quite a while get the file readable.) I meant to post it up here in case anyone else would like to study it offline. But I didn’t want to do that without RUTA checking it and his approval, so I sent him a message to that effect. But he wasn’t interested, which really surprised me… Heck, I will attach the PDF to this now just in case. Sure hope I didn’t make any errors in translating the LaTeX!

PS. I wish all the insight authors would make PDF files of their work available.

Attachments

• DE1LaTeXFinal.pdf
    455.8 KB · Views: 267
My apologies, I thought you wanted the LaTeX file. I assumed you wanted the LaTeX so you could manipulate it. If I knew you wanted a PDF (immutable) rendering, I would have sent something in final (permanent) form.

exmarine said:
Ah thanks FRODO. That is basically what I am doing. I have a PDF printer installed, and regularly use FireFox as well as Edge. But that has always produced jumbled and garbled page headers and text, basically unreadable. RUTA kindly made his Word file available, but it had the equations and symbols in LaTeX format. I managed to get all of those changed into readable format and over into a PDF file. (Is there some way, addin, app, or whatever to make that easy to do?! It took me quite a while get the file readable.) I meant to post it up here in case anyone else would like to study it offline. But I didn’t want to do that without RUTA checking it and his approval, so I sent him a message to that effect. But he wasn’t interested, which really surprised me… Heck, I will attach the PDF to this now just in case. Sure hope I didn’t make any errors in translating the LaTeX!

PS. I wish all the insight authors would make PDF files of their work available.
I looked at this rendering and I don't see any mistakes in the equations. It's too bad the equation numbers don't appear and the links are not active.

Likes exmarine

What is dark energy?

Dark energy is a theoretical form of energy that is thought to make up about 70% of the total energy in the universe. It is believed to be responsible for the observed accelerated expansion of the universe.

How is dark energy related to Einstein-deSitter cosmology?

Einstein-deSitter cosmology is a model of the universe that was proposed by Albert Einstein and Willem de Sitter in 1932. This model assumes that the universe is flat and that matter is the only source of energy. However, with the discovery of dark energy, this model has been modified to include the presence of dark energy in the form of a cosmological constant.

What is the role of dark energy in the universe?

The role of dark energy in the universe is still not fully understood. It is believed to be responsible for the observed accelerated expansion of the universe, but its exact nature and origin are still being studied by scientists.

How is dark energy measured?

Dark energy cannot be directly measured, but its effects can be observed through the accelerated expansion of the universe. Scientists also use data from cosmic microwave background radiation, supernovae, and galaxy clusters to study the properties of dark energy.

What are the implications of dark energy for the fate of the universe?

The presence of dark energy has significant implications for the fate of the universe. If dark energy continues to accelerate the expansion of the universe, it could lead to the "Big Rip" scenario where the universe expands at an increasing rate, eventually tearing apart all matter. However, if dark energy decreases or remains constant, the universe could continue to expand at a slower rate or even collapse in a "Big Crunch" scenario.