Dark Matter Textbooks: Learn Core Topics in Astrophysics & Cosmology

In summary, There are a few good introductory textbooks for studying core topics in astrophysics/cosmology and dark matter. Some options include 'An Introduction to Modern Astrophysics' by Caroll and Ostlie, 'Introduction to Modern Cosmology' by Andrew Liddle, and 'Principles of Astrophysics' by Charles Keeton. B. Ryden's cosmology text also has a chapter on dark matter, but it is more mathematical and may be more advanced. However, it is still just an overview of the subject.
Floyd_13
Hello, could you please recommend some good introductory textbooks for studying core topics in astrophysics/cosmology, and especially dark matter?

I know that 'An Introduction to Modern Astrophysics' by Caroll and Ostlie is a good book, but I 'm looking for something more concise, so to speak. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you looked at Introduction to Modern Cosmology by Andrew Liddle?

Likes vanhees71
PeroK said:
Have you looked at Introduction to Modern Cosmology by Andrew Liddle?
I have actually, but unfortunately it doesn't say much about dark matter.

Floyd_13 said:
Perhaps there's no much to say. Not in a textbook. It's still in the realm of speculative research, isn't it?

Textbooks are often a couple decades behind leading edge research.

Likes vanhees71 and dextercioby
Floyd_13 said:
B. Ryden's cosmology text has a chapter on DM that is a bit more meaty than the equivalent in Liddle, plus a scattering of relevant discussions in other places, such as in the chapter on CMB temperature fluctuations.
It's still just a 20-ish page overview, but at least some mathematical steps are presented; e.g. deriving the virial theorem in its 'Dark Matter in Clusters' sub-chapter. The level of complexity is not terribly high, but higher than in Liddle.
I haven't read Carroll & Ostie's book, so I don't know how it compares, other than by page count (<300 pages, vs ~1400 (!), but the subject matter is narrower too).

Likes vanhees71 and Floyd_13
Another book dealing (to some extent) with DM is "Principles of Astrophysics" by Charles Keeton.

Likes vanhees71 and Floyd_13

What is dark matter?

Dark matter is a type of matter that makes up about 27% of the universe. It does not emit or absorb light, making it invisible to telescopes. Its existence is inferred through its gravitational effects on visible matter.

Why is it important to study dark matter?

Studying dark matter is important because it is a fundamental component of the universe and plays a crucial role in the formation and evolution of galaxies. Understanding dark matter can also provide insights into the nature of the universe and its ultimate fate.

How is dark matter detected?

Dark matter cannot be directly observed, but its presence can be inferred through its gravitational effects on visible matter. Scientists also use techniques such as gravitational lensing and studying the rotation curves of galaxies to detect dark matter.

What are some current theories about the nature of dark matter?

Some current theories about dark matter include the WIMP (Weakly Interacting Massive Particles) theory, which proposes that dark matter is made up of particles that interact weakly with normal matter, and the MACHO (Massive Compact Halo Objects) theory, which suggests that dark matter is made up of massive objects such as black holes or brown dwarfs.

How does dark matter relate to the Big Bang theory?

Dark matter is thought to have played a crucial role in the formation of the universe after the Big Bang. The presence of dark matter helps explain the distribution of matter in the universe and the formation of large-scale structures such as galaxies and galaxy clusters.