Data acquisition on torque sensor

In summary, the conversation is about choosing a data acquisition device for a torque sensor that outputs an analog signal of +/-5V and two digital signals of TTL 5V. The sensor is able to take 10000 measurements per second and the user is unsure what specifications to look for in a data acquisition device. They are working on a test bench to characterize electric motors and need to use Labview to control the motor and acquire the signals from the torque sensor. The user is new to this field and is seeking help in understanding the frequency and data acquisition process. The recommended sample rate for the device is 20kHz, as per the Nyquist frequency.
Trainee28
Hello,

I am a new member. I have some question concerning data acquisition on a torque sensor and I hope someone can help me out.

I have a torque sensor that I use to mesure the torque and speed of a motor. The torque sensor outputs an analog signal of +/-5V (torque) and two digital signals TTL 5V(speed). I need to choose a data acquisition device to acquire the analog and digital signals of this torque sensor but I don't really know the specification to look for when choosing the right device. The torque sensor is able to take 10000 mesure of torque value per second (10kHz). With this information, should I choose a device with a sample rate larger than 10kHz or smaller? Why is that so?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you want to get the full information of the sensor, you'll need at least 10 kHz. Depending on the application, you might be able to get away with a lower sampling rate. What do you want to do?

Actually, I am working on a test bench to characterize electric motor. The test bench is used to find out the values of inductance, resistance, rotor inertia, torque and speed of any three phase brushless motor mounted on the test bench. On the test bench, there is an electromagnetic brake to supply load torque, a torque sensor in the middle and at the other end a brushless motor, three of them aligned together. I have to use labview to control the electric motor and the brake as well, and then acquire the signals from the torque sensor where the data is then to be sorted out to generate graphs (Torque=f(Speed), Current=f(Speed), Current=f(Torque) etc). Since the test bench is incomplete, I have to find a data acquisition device as as interface between the torque sensor and the labview program.

I rather new in the field of electronic and I haven't studied signal processing before that's why all these frequency and data acquisition stuff seems kinda complicated to me. I hope you can help me out in this matter.

Trainee28 said:
The torque sensor is able to take 10000 measure of torque value per second (10kHz)

Welcome to the PF.

If you want to get all the information from that sensor, you will need to sample at twice the bandwidth, so 20kHz. You can read why here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist_frequency :smile:

1. What is a torque sensor and how does it work?

A torque sensor is a device that measures the amount of torque (or twisting force) being applied to an object. It typically consists of a shaft, strain gauges, and electronic components. When torque is applied to the shaft, the strain gauges detect the resulting deformation and convert it into an electrical signal that can be measured.

2. What types of torque sensors are available for data acquisition?

There are several types of torque sensors available, including rotary, reaction, and static torque sensors. Rotary torque sensors measure torque on a rotating shaft, while reaction torque sensors measure torque on a non-rotating object. Static torque sensors are designed for stationary applications and measure torque without any movement.

3. How accurate are torque sensors for data acquisition?

The accuracy of torque sensors can vary depending on the type and model, but most have an accuracy of 0.1% to 0.5% of full scale. This means that for a torque sensor with a maximum measurement of 100 Nm, the accuracy would be within 0.1 Nm to 0.5 Nm. It is important to choose a torque sensor with the appropriate accuracy for your specific application.

4. What factors should be considered when choosing a torque sensor for data acquisition?

When choosing a torque sensor, it is important to consider the maximum torque range, accuracy, and sensitivity needed for your application. Other factors to consider include the type of signal output (analog or digital), the physical size and mounting options of the sensor, and the environmental conditions it will be used in.

5. How can data acquired from a torque sensor be used in scientific research?

Torque sensors are commonly used in scientific research to study the forces and movements of various objects and systems. Data collected from a torque sensor can provide valuable insights and measurements for analyzing the performance, efficiency, and safety of machines, engines, and other mechanical systems. It can also be used to study the biomechanics of human movement and the forces involved in sports and exercise activities.