Data Analyst at startup for first job?

• Job Skills
  • Thread starter Slusho
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Data Job
In summary: Definitely, what @berkeman said. Start out at large companies if at all possible. They have the budget and inclination to do some training. More importantly, they have tried-and-true methods and procedures of what works in a professional environment -- such things as documentation standards, regulatory requirements, seeing how the 'pros' do things, and usually an opportunity to see at least a bit of related fields.
Slusho
I've been trying to figure out what jobs I can use my BS in physics for and I see data analyst being recommended a lot. I have limited python and SQL experience from college. I was thinking of trying for startups in NYC, but now I see articles saying startups want people that need no training so I'm thinking that they won't hire people that aren't experienced in data analysis work and programming. I'm not sure where else might be a better place to ask this, but does anyone have experience with this and can give me their thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are approximately 18,000 recruiters in the NYC area. Put your resume up on the job boards and you'll likely land something. I've had my resume OFF of the job boards of 6 or 7 years now and I still get a couple of job postings a week sent to me by recruiters.

Likes berkeman
phinds said:
There are approximately 18,000 recruiters in the NYC area. Put your resume up on the job boards and you'll likely land something. I've had my resume OFF of the job boards of 6 or 7 years now and I still get a couple of job postings a week sent to me by recruiters.
What boards would you recommend? I saw someone say Monster and Indeed are a waste of time and that they recommend using Glassdoor exclusively. And my most successful NYC friend told me to just use AngelList. There, however, I think it's mostly applying for individual jobs rather than putting your resume out for employers to see. I'm kind of worried about being spammed with scams.

Slusho said:
but now I see articles saying startups want people that need no training
That's the case with every startup company that I've been associated with. They are looking for people with exactly the skills and experience they need. The risk of failure is high at startup companies, so they are not going to take a chance on a candidate who needs to learn in order to do the job.

Likes russ_watters
berkeman said:
That's the case with every startup company that I've been associated with. They are looking for people with exactly the skills and experience they need. The risk of failure is high at startup companies, so they are not going to take a chance on a candidate who needs to learn in order to do the job.

@berkeman , if that is the case, what would you suggest the OP (or someone in a similar position to the OP, with a BS in physics) to do, short of going for a graduate degree or pursuing a second undergraduate degree?

StatGuy2000 said:
@berkeman , if that is the case, what would you suggest the OP (or someone in a similar position to the OP, with a BS in physics) to do, short of going for a graduate degree or pursuing a second undergraduate degree?
Your question seems to imply that if you can't get a job with a startup, you can't get a job. There are WAY more jobs with non-startups than there are with startups.

Likes Tom.G, russ_watters and berkeman
Yeah, what @phinds said. I worked for about 7-8 years after graduate school in R&D before I was attractive enough to start working for startups. Just get the regular experience and build up some specialty skills, if you eventually want to go to work for a startup at some point. :smile:

Alright, thanks for the advice everyone. I guess I always assumed it would be easier to get a startup position since it's mostly young people at those companies so I'm not sure how they'd have a lot of experience, and I thought since they're less traditional they'd care less about GPA.

berkeman said:
Just get the regular experience and build up some specialty skills, if you eventually want to go to work for a startup at some point.
Definitely, what @berkeman said. Start out at large companies if at all possible. They have the budget and inclination to do some training. More importantly, they have tried-and-true methods and procedures of what works in a professional environment -- such things as documentation standards, regulatory requirements, seeing how the 'pros' do things, and usually an opportunity to see at least a bit of related fields. For instance being in Electronics, doing a lot of hardware debugging, refurbishing, and redesigns early on, really brought home the value of what makes documentation usable and its importance.

Likes berkeman
My first two jobs after graduation were at start-ups. They did not have training programs, but based on my resume, they figured I could learn on the fly, and I did. I also got a couple other offers from start-ups that I turned down. The larger companies (you would recognize the names) interviewed me, but were none made me job offers. I only ended up working at Cisco Systems, because they acquired one of the start-ups that hired me. But being a very good programmer has been a key element of every corporate job I've had.

1. What skills and qualifications are needed for a data analyst position at a startup?

A data analyst at a startup typically needs a strong background in statistics, mathematics, and computer science. Experience with data analysis tools and programming languages such as SQL, Python, and R is also important. Additionally, startups may value individuals who are adaptable, self-motivated, and have strong problem-solving skills.

2. How is a data analyst's role different at a startup compared to a larger company?

In a startup, a data analyst is often responsible for a wider range of tasks and may have more autonomy in decision-making. They may also have the opportunity to work with a variety of data sources and collaborate closely with other team members. In a larger company, a data analyst may have a more specialized role and be part of a larger team with more established processes.

3. What challenges do data analysts face when working at a startup?

One of the main challenges for data analysts at startups is working with limited resources and data. Startups may not have the same amount of data as larger companies, making it more difficult to draw meaningful insights. Additionally, startups may have a less established data infrastructure, making data cleaning and analysis more time-consuming.

4. How does working at a startup as a data analyst help with career growth?

Working at a startup can provide valuable experience and skills that can help with career growth. Data analysts at startups often have the opportunity to work on a variety of projects and wear multiple hats, which can help develop a diverse skill set. Additionally, working in a fast-paced and constantly changing environment can help develop adaptability and problem-solving skills.

5. What advice do you have for someone looking to land their first data analyst job at a startup?

First, make sure you have a strong foundation in statistics, mathematics, and programming. Consider gaining experience through internships or personal projects to showcase your skills. Network with individuals in the startup community and attend events to get your foot in the door. When applying for positions, highlight your adaptability, problem-solving skills, and passion for data analysis.