DC Series motor: current vs load....

In summary: X Φ X IaandEa = ... X Φ X RPMput Φ from the first equation into the second to get an equation for Ea in terms of Ia and RPMIn summary, the conversation discussed the characteristics of a DC series motor and the impact of doubling the load on the motor. It was mentioned that according to Kirchoff's laws, doubling the load should result in a decrease in armature current, but this seems to contradict the motor's characteristic where current increases with torque or load. However, it was clarified that doubling the resistance in a circuit does not necessarily mean doubling the load, as it will actually result in reducing the power. The conversation then shifted to discussing the use of pulse
peter010
Hiz

lets assum we have a load fixed on the roter of a the 'DC series motor' in the attached photo, where:

Vt: DC source voltage (constant)
Lf: field's inductive resistance (will be neglected)
Rf: field's resistant
Ra: Armature resistance
Ia= Armature current, If: field current
M: back emf (Ea)

and the related functionl equation is:

kQw (Ea)= (Vt-Ia(Ra+Rs)/kQ ; //Q:flux

Now, if the load is doubled, then by applying kerckhoff laws, the armature current must be reduced. Anyhow, this seems to me contradicts with this motor characteristic of which that current increases as torque or load increases (kindly find the second attached photo), in other words: Torque = KQI.

Its really confusing! I spent one day trying to sort it out uselessly.

Appreciate your help to understant this.

Attachments

• Series-DC-Motor-Equivalent-Circuit.jpg
    Series-DC-Motor-Equivalent-Circuit.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 2,073
  • Characteristics of DC Series Motors.jpg
    Characteristics of DC Series Motors.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 952
Engineering news on Phys.org
peter010 said:
Now, if the load is doubled, then by applying kerckhoff laws, the armature current must be reduced
How?

Likes peter010
cnh1995 said:
How?
I am presuming or imagining the load as an extra resistance RL in the circuit. Once this resistance get doubled in the circuit, the current will be affected inversely.

If this approach does not make since, then kindly how it should be, or what will happen if I doubled that load?

regards

peter010 said:
If this approach does not make since, then kindly how it should be, or what will happen if I doubled that load?
If you increase the load, the speed of the motor will drop. What will happen to the back emf? Supply voltage and rotor resistance are constant.

Likes peter010
cnh1995 said:
If you increase the load, the speed of the motor will drop. What will happen to the back emf? Supply voltage and rotor resistance are constant.
back emf will drop down and thus geting more current in the curcuit. AWWW

Thank you very much :)))))))

I would also point out - if you double the resistance in a circuit you are not "doubling the load"

P = V2 / R -- double R and you cut the Power in half.

To double the load - for a fixed voltage you need to cut the resistance in half - and / or think - adding another resistor in parallel - that is truly "doubling the load"

Likes peter010
Windadct said:
I would also point out - if you double the resistance in a circuit you are not "doubling the load"

P = V2 / R -- double R and you cut the Power in half.

To double the load - for a fixed voltage you need to cut the resistance in half - and / or think - adding another resistor in parallel - that is truly "doubling the load"

oh ok.. May I ask you a favour please,, can u add this resistance R of load to the attached DC serries cercuit and then attach it. This will help me so much for imaging its place in the curcuit :)))

Last edited:
My point being that you seemed to imply in your comment "if the load is doubled, then by applying kerckhoff laws, the armature current must be reduced" - that doubling the load meant increasing or doubling the resistance (impedance) in the circuit. I was not saying to add resistance to the circuit as you drew it.

The electric circuit does not care what the "load" is, the resistors convert to heat the motor converts to mechanical energy.

Likes peter010
Windadct said:
My point being that you seemed to imply in your comment "if the load is doubled, then by applying kerckhoff laws, the armature current must be reduced" - that doubling the load meant increasing or doubling the resistance (impedance) in the circuit. I was not saying to add resistance to the circuit as you drew it.

The electric circuit does not care what the "load" is, the resistors convert to heat the motor converts to mechanical energy.
oh thanks alot. I thought you was referring to double the mechanical load by expressing it metaphorically by a resistor. :)

Acually, now i am discussing it please from another perspective, what if I used a pulse width modulation device to reduce the main votage to a certain limit, let's say Vnew=70% Vold. What will happen to the back emf? Can I then predict or calculate precisly the value of back emf at same load ?

PWM uses a pulse rate sufficiently high that the motor speed doesn't measurably change during the power ON and power OFF intervals.

Back emf in a series DC motor is a function of both (i) rotor speed, and (ii) field strength. Although the applied voltage is being pulsed ON and OFF, inductance of the rotor-field path should see this current held approximately constant, with its level decreasing as the controller lowers the speed.

NascentOxygen said:
PWM uses a pulse rate sufficiently high that the motor speed doesn't measurably change during the power ON and power OFF intervals.

Back emf in a series DC motor is a function of both (i) rotor speed, and (ii) field strength. Although the applied voltage is being pulsed ON and OFF, inductance of the rotor-field path should see this current held approximately constant, with its level decreasing as the controller lowers the speed.

Actually, is it possible to calculate the new current value and the new back emf value after decreasing the source voltage?

I tried to figure this out, but i could not predict or calculate the new value of the current since i can't depend then on the original characteristic chart of this motor.

peter010 said:
I tried to figure this out, but i could not predict or calculate the new value of the current since i can't depend then on the original characteristic chart of this motor.
you are aware that because the field is in series with the armature ,
flux is a function of armature current
and i can't tell by inspection whether you accounted for that in your equation
peter010 said:
kQw (Ea)= (Vt-Ia(Ra+Rs)/kQ ; //Q:flux
What's Q ?

the two basic equations for a DC motor are
counter EMF Ea = KΦRPM,
Torque = (same)K X 7.04 X Φ X Iarmature , torque in foot pounds
so
Torque = K X 7.04 X Iarmature2 X K' , where K' relates Iarmature to Φ (which inductance does nicely if you know #turns)

i think you'll have to find K and K' by a curve fit ?

:Power out the shaft is to first approximation Ea X Ia

old jim

Likes peter010
jim hardy said:
you are aware that because the field is in series with the armature ,
flux is a function of armature current
and i can't tell by inspection whether you accounted for that in your equation

What's Q ?

the two basic equations for a DC motor are
counter EMF Ea = KΦRPM,
Torque = (same)K X 7.04 X Φ X Iarmature , torque in foot pounds
so
Torque = K X 7.04 X Iarmature2 X K' , where K' relates Iarmature to Φ (which inductance does nicely if you know #turns)

i think you'll have to find K and K' by a curve fit ?

:Power out the shaft is to first approximation Ea X Ia

old jim
Thanks for responding

Actually, I can best describe my case by saying: After reducing the source voltage, I have then two unknowns: the current and the EMF.

[Before reducing the voltage, I was able to identify the current value for my motor's circuit from this motor's characteristic graph, but after reducing the the source voltage, the characteristic graph is not applicable any more and thus I can't use it to identify the new current value]

So, that is, how to solve the circuit for the two unknowns?? :)))

peter010 said:
I was able to identify the current value for my motor's circuit from this motor's characteristic graph,
Can you post a clear photo of that graph?

peter010 said:
So, that is, how to solve the circuit for the two unknowns?? :)))

i see two equations and two unknowns...

1. How does the current in a DC Series motor vary with load?

The current in a DC Series motor increases as the load on the motor increases. This is because the load causes more resistance to the motor's rotation, requiring more current to be drawn from the power source to maintain the same speed.

2. What is the relationship between the current and torque in a DC Series motor?

In a DC Series motor, the current and torque have a direct relationship. This means that as the current increases, the torque also increases. This is due to the motor's design, which creates a strong magnetic field that produces more torque at higher currents.

3. Can a DC Series motor handle high loads?

Yes, DC Series motors are well-suited for high loads. They are designed to provide high starting torque and can handle heavy loads without stalling. However, they may overheat if operated at high loads for extended periods of time.

4. What happens if the load on a DC Series motor is too high?

If the load on a DC Series motor is too high, the motor may overheat and potentially burn out. This is because the high load causes the motor to draw more current, which can exceed its maximum operating capacity. It is important to properly match the motor to the load it will be driving to prevent damage.

5. How does the speed of a DC Series motor change with load?

The speed of a DC Series motor decreases as the load on the motor increases. This is because the motor has to work harder to overcome the resistance of the load, resulting in a slower rotation. This relationship is known as the speed-torque curve and can be used to determine the motor's performance at different loads.