De Broglie Wavelength at Relativistic velocity

In summary, a particle with charge e and mass m0 is accelerated by a charge V to a relativistic velocity. Using the conservation of energy and the equations for potential and kinetic energy, the de Broglie wavelength is given by: \lambda = \frac{h}{\sqrt{2m_0eV}} (1+\frac{eV}{2m_0c^2})^{-\frac{1}{2}}. This is derived by using the correct expression for p, which takes into account relativistic speeds.
Avatrin

Homework Statement

A particle has charge e and masse m0. It is accelerated by a charge V to a relativistic velocity. Show that its de Broglie wavelength is:
[tex] \lambda = \frac{h}{\sqrt{2m_0eV}} (1+\frac{eV}{2m_0c^2})^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] \lambda = \frac{h}{p} [/tex]
Conservation of energy can be used. Our potential energy is:
[tex] PE = eV [/tex]
Kinetic energy is:
[tex] KE = \frac{1}{2}m_0v^2 [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using:
[tex] eV = \frac{1}{2}m_0v^2 [/tex]
That gave me:
[tex] \sqrt{\frac{2eV}{m_0}} = v [/tex]

This matches what is in the denominator below Planck's constant (when multiplied with m0). However, the expression in the parenthesis is what doesn't make sense to me. My answer is:

[tex] \lambda = \frac{h}{\sqrt{2m_0eV}} (1-\frac{2eV}{m_0c^2})^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]
Why is this wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Avatrin said:
Kinetic energy is:
KE=12m0v2​
KE = \frac{1}{2}m_0v^2
is only correct for NON-relativistic speeds ...

Likes Avatrin
Here you find the right expression for p to use. It works. I think the difference is a factor gamma somewhere. I can't make out how you go from your expression for v to your last answer for ##\lambda##.

Likes Avatrin
I found a way that gave me the correct solution. However, I do not understand it.

[tex] eV = \sqrt{p^2c^2 + m_0^2c^4} - m_0c^2 [/tex]
This gave me the correct answer for p:
[tex] p = ((\frac{eV}{c})^2 + 2em_0V)^{\frac{1}{2}} = \sqrt{2m_0eV}\sqrt{1 + \frac{eV}{2m_0c^2}}[/tex]

However, since the particle is at rest at first, why shouldn't the left hand side of the expression above be eV + m0c2?

?? where do you think the "- mc2" on the right-hand side came from?

There was a Show button on the page where the link in post #2 pointed. Sorry I didn't point that out (or gave that as a link directly)

Related to De Broglie Wavelength at Relativistic velocity

1. What is the De Broglie Wavelength at Relativistic velocity?

The De Broglie Wavelength at Relativistic velocity is a phenomenon that occurs when particles, such as electrons, are moving at speeds close to the speed of light. It refers to the wavelength of a particle in motion, which is related to its momentum and energy.

2. How is the De Broglie Wavelength at Relativistic velocity calculated?

The De Broglie Wavelength at Relativistic velocity can be calculated using the formula: λ = h/p, where λ is the wavelength, h is Planck's constant, and p is the momentum of the particle.

3. What is the significance of the De Broglie Wavelength at Relativistic velocity?

The De Broglie Wavelength at Relativistic velocity is significant because it demonstrates the wave-particle duality of matter. It shows that particles, even at the microscopic level, can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior.

4. How does the De Broglie Wavelength at Relativistic velocity differ from the traditional De Broglie Wavelength?

The traditional De Broglie Wavelength is calculated for particles moving at non-relativistic speeds, while the De Broglie Wavelength at Relativistic velocity takes into account the effects of special relativity on the particle's momentum and energy. As a result, the wavelength at relativistic velocities will be shorter than the traditional De Broglie Wavelength.

5. Can the De Broglie Wavelength at Relativistic velocity be observed or measured?

Yes, the De Broglie Wavelength at Relativistic velocity has been observed and measured in experiments using particles such as electrons, protons, and neutrons. These experiments provide evidence for the wave-particle duality of matter and the validity of the De Broglie Wavelength at Relativistic velocity concept.