De Broglie wavelength of helium atoms

In summary: Then:\lambda = \frac{h}{\sqrt{2 m E* (938.3 MeV/c^2) + 2(0.511) MeV/c^2) + 2(939.6) MeV/C^2) } which becomes:\lambda = \frac{h}{1.6*10^9 m}
leehufford

Homework Statement

a) In the double slit interference pattern for helium atoms, the kinetic energy of a beam of atoms is 0.020 eV. What is the de Broglie wavelength of a helium atom with this kinetic energy? b) Also, estimate the de Broglie wavelength of the atoms from the fringe spacing (about 10 micrometers) and compare to the wavelength from (a). The distance from the double slit to the scanning slit is 64 cm. Slit spacing is 8 micrometers.

Homework Equations

This is my first post since the new physics forums formatting, and I can't find the symbols, so I suppose I'll do this with words:

wavelength = plank's constant/momentum = plank's constant/sqrt(2mK).

The Attempt at a Solution

So I used 4.136e-21 MeV*s for plank's constant, then for mass I used [2(938.3 MeV/c^2) + 2(0.511) MeV/c^2) + 2(939.6) MeV/C^2)]. (Two protons, two neutrons and two electrons). I get 3.374e-19 m. This wavelength seems way too small, but my real problem is that the wavelength I get from the diffraction grating formula is very different than the wavelength here.

For b, I use 8 micrometers for the slit spacing (given). The formula is wavelength = d*y/D, where d is the slit spacing, y is the fringe maximum distance and D is the space between slit and detector, so wavelength = (8 micrometers)(10 micrometers)/(6.4e5 micrometers) = 1.25e-4 micrometers = 1.25e-10 meters, which is very, very far off from the wavelength from part a. Obviously there is a fundamental misunderstanding going on here, it's sort of driving me crazy. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

-Lee

Physics news on Phys.org
I've been looking at this problem for hours...?:) I cannot tell which wavelength is wrong. I feel like the smaller wavelength is probably right, but I'm not sure where I made my mistake with the larger wavelength. If my original post is unclear, feel free to ask for clarification.

Lee

Your units are wrong for part (a):

[tex] \lambda = \frac{h}{\sqrt {2 m E} } [/tex]

Using units you gave:

[tex] \frac{eV*s}{\sqrt{\frac{eV}{c^2} * eV } } = s*c^2 [/tex]

I propose using SI units for everything (especially mass of helium). It's fine to ignore the mass of the electrons (why?).

1. What is the De Broglie wavelength of helium atoms?

The De Broglie wavelength of helium atoms is a measure of the wave-like behavior of particles. It is calculated using the equation λ = h / mv, where λ is the De Broglie wavelength, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the helium atom, and v is the velocity of the atom.

2. How is the De Broglie wavelength of helium atoms related to their momentum?

The De Broglie wavelength and momentum of a helium atom are inversely proportional. This means that as the momentum of the atom increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa.

3. What is the significance of the De Broglie wavelength of helium atoms?

The De Broglie wavelength is significant because it demonstrates the duality of particles, meaning they can have both particle-like and wave-like properties. It also helps to explain phenomena such as diffraction and interference.

4. How does the De Broglie wavelength of helium atoms compare to other particles?

The De Broglie wavelength of helium atoms is relatively short compared to larger particles, such as electrons or protons. This is because helium atoms have a larger mass and therefore a smaller velocity, resulting in a shorter wavelength.

5. Can the De Broglie wavelength of helium atoms be observed?

No, the De Broglie wavelength of helium atoms cannot be directly observed as it is on the quantum scale. However, its effects can be observed in experiments such as diffraction and interference patterns.