Which formulas are appropriate for calculating intensity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of monochromatic plane waves of wavelength 537nm and two narrow slits to create an interference pattern on a wall 3.1m away. The slits are spaced 26 micrometers apart and are 5.7 micrometers wide each. The formula I=I0(cos(∏(d/(λL)z)) is used to find the ratio of intensity to that of the central fringe at a distance of 35.5mm from the central fringe. The participant in the conversation is instructed to compute this ratio by determining the values of d, L, and λ and using the formula.
Ekullabran

Homework Statement

Monochromatic plane waves of wavelength 537nm are incident on two narrow slits and produce an interference pattern on a wall 3.1m away. The slits are spaced 26 micrometers apart and are 5.7 micrometers wide each. What is the ratio of intensity to that of the central fringe a distance of 35.5mm from the central fringe?
2. Relevant equation

I=I0(cos(∏(d/(λL)z))

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using this formula to find the intensity of the central fringe and also the intensity of the fringe 35.5mm from the central fringe, however, I could not determine what I(sub)naught was.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 11.55.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 11.55.14 AM.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 395
Physics news on Phys.org
Your formula is correct, as you have it in the link. You left out the exponent of 2 when you typed it out. They simply want you to compute the ratio ## \frac{I}{I_o} ##. You should be able to do that using your formula. (Usually the letter ## x ## is used instead of ## z ## in this formula. In any case, ## z=35.5 ## mm). You should be able to figure out what ## d ##, ## L ## and ## \lambda ## are.

Last edited:
Likes Ekullabran
Charles Link said:
Your formula is correct, as you have it in the link. You left out the exponent of 2 when you typed it out. They simply want you to compute the ratio ## \frac{I}{I_o} ##. You should be able to do that using your formula. (Usually the letter ## x ## is used instead of ## z ## in this formula. In any case, ## z=35.5 ## mm). You should be able to figure out what ## d ##, ## L ## and ## \lambda ## are.
That makes so much sense! Thanks a lot for your time!

Likes Charles Link

1. What is intensity and why is it important to calculate?

Intensity is the amount of energy passing through a given area in a specific amount of time. It is important to calculate because it helps us understand the strength and impact of a physical phenomenon, such as sound, light, or radiation.

2. What are the common formulas used for calculating intensity?

The most commonly used formulas for calculating intensity are the power formula (I=P/A), where I is intensity, P is power, and A is the area over which the power is distributed, and the wave formula (I = E/tA), where I is intensity, E is energy, t is time, and A is the cross-sectional area of the wave.

3. How do I determine the appropriate formula to use for calculating intensity?

The appropriate formula to use for calculating intensity depends on the type of energy being measured and the available information. For example, if you know the power and area, you can use the power formula. If you are dealing with a wave, you can use the wave formula. It is important to carefully consider the units and variables in the problem to determine the correct formula to use.

4. Can I use the same formula to calculate intensity for all types of energy?

No, the formula for calculating intensity varies depending on the type of energy being measured. For example, the formula for calculating sound intensity is different from the formula for calculating light intensity. It is important to use the appropriate formula for each type of energy.

5. Is there a universal unit for measuring intensity?

No, the unit for measuring intensity depends on the type of energy being measured. For example, sound intensity is measured in decibels (dB), while light intensity is measured in lumens (lm). It is important to use the correct unit for the type of energy being measured in order to accurately calculate intensity.