Death of 3 Dogs After Drinking Water from Kent Lake: Investigation Begins

In summary: The article confirms that there has been a recent outbreak of blue-green algae in Kent, which has killed three dogs. The dogs were drinking from a lake that was contaminated with the algae, and the hypothesis is that the toxins in the algae killed the dogs quickly. The article does not provide a lot of information, and it is unclear where the dogs were before they died.
Biology news on Phys.org
Could be.
But the story is kind of vague and sparse of information.
The water report and veterinary report have not been done or completed yet, so it is premature to pin-point.
Still they are relying on caution that it could be from drinking the water.
We obviously do not know where the dogs have been in the hours or recent days before the deaths and illness.

Still, if contaminated, the toxity of the bacteria can shows symptoms quite quickly.
https://msu.edu/~mdr/vol15no2/algae.html

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
lavoisier said:
Does the green-blue algae hypotesis fit with the nearly instantaneous death of the dogs that drank the water?
256bits said:
Could be.
Cyanobacteria is poisonous to dogs, but if there was toxic bacteria in the water, wouldn't the dogs have had symptoms first? The article just says that they "died shortly after" being in the water.

http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/blue-green-algae/

Last edited:
I would bet on anatoxin-a - a powerful neurologic toxin produced by - can be fatal in a matter of a few minutes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatoxin-a

These genera blue-green alagae have been shown to produce Anatoxin-a:
Anabaena
Aphanizomenon
Cylindrospermum
Microcystis
Oscillatoria
Planktothrix
Raphidiopsis

Oscillatoria and Anabaena are goto lab fare in freshman Biology - prepared slides are best.

jim mcnamara said:
I would bet on anatoxin-a - a powerful neurologic toxin produced by - can be fatal in a matter of a few minutes.
I wish the article stated some more details on the dogs' death.
jim mcnamara said:
Oscillatoria and Anabaena are goto lab fare in freshman Biology - prepared slides are best.
Anabaena is beautiful!

Thank you all for your replies.
If the algae-related toxin hypothesis is true, one has to hope such organisms don't end up in drinking water reservoirs.
I seem to understand that the conditions for their growth are such that they could hardly thrive there.
Some posters in the Yahoo thread say drinking water is tested for contaminants before distribution - but can you really test it for 'everything'?

lavoisier said:
but can you really test it for 'everything'?
If you're talking about bacteria, of course, with DNA tests.

Indeed.
But I meant 'can' as in 'are we going to spend the money to do it', not as in 'is it technically possible'.
Well, let's hope we don't have that problem in the first place.

lavoisier said:
Indeed.
But I meant 'can' as in 'are we going to spend the money to do it', not as in 'is it technically possible'.
Well, let's hope we don't have that problem in the first place.
Well, it's not exactly "cheap" (depends on your standards), but the technology has been out there for quite some time and DNA testing can be done quite efficiently. If contaminated water becomes a serious problem, as suggested in the references you linked to, then there is no reason why they shouldn't test the water. It's really just a matter of whether it is necessary or not.

lavoisier said:
Thank you all for your replies.
If the algae-related toxin hypothesis is true, one has to hope such organisms don't end up in drinking water reservoirs.
I seem to understand that the conditions for their growth are such that they could hardly thrive there.
Some posters in the Yahoo thread say drinking water is tested for contaminants before distribution - but can you really test it for 'everything'?
If you are in the UK then your drinking water is tested regularly, with all the results being recorded and collated by the Drinking Water Inspectorate, which also has advice for consumers on its website.

I remember there have been some previous such cases, also in England. I cannot recall detail at this moment, if it comes back I will post it.

1. What caused the death of the dogs?

The exact cause of death is still under investigation, but initial tests suggest that the water from Kent Lake may have been contaminated with a toxic substance.

2. Are other animals at risk of drinking from the lake?

It is possible that other animals could be at risk if they drink from Kent Lake. However, the specific toxin and its source are still unknown, so it is difficult to determine the extent of the danger at this time.

3. Could this be a natural occurrence?

While it is possible that the contamination of Kent Lake was a natural occurrence, it is more likely that there was human involvement. Further investigation will help determine the cause of the contamination.

4. How long will the investigation take?

The length of the investigation will depend on several factors, including the complexity of the case and the availability of resources. It is important to conduct a thorough investigation to ensure the safety of both animals and humans in the area.

5. What precautions should pet owners take if they live near Kent Lake?

As a precaution, pet owners in the area should not let their pets drink from Kent Lake until the investigation is complete and the water is deemed safe. It is also recommended to seek immediate veterinary assistance if their pet shows any symptoms of illness after drinking from the lake.