DeBroglie wavelength based on kinetic energy

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving the kinetic energy of a photon and its wavelength. The first speaker is seeking clarification on the use of "mc" in the solution, which is most likely a typo and should be "m_e" for the rest mass of an electron. The second speaker confirms this and also suggests using the Planck relationship to solve for the wavelength.
Cocoleia

Homework Statement

I am working on a problem similar to this one:
upload_2017-2-11_19-45-35.png

In this solution, I do not understand what mc is, can someone explain? Also, would I follow the same type of steps if I have the kinetic energy of a photon and I need it's wavelength?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Cocoleia said:
In this solution, I do not understand what mc is, can someone explain?
Looks like a typo. It should also be ##m_e##, the rest mass of the electron.

Cocoleia said:
Also, would I follow the same type of steps if I have the kinetic energy of a photon and I need it's wavelength?
Photons have no rest mass. Setting it to zero in the equation in your problem yields p = K/c, where K is the energy of the photon. That's a valid result linking energy and momentum for a photon. To get at the wavelength appeal to the Planck relationship, ##E = h \nu##.

Likes Cocoleia

Related to DeBroglie wavelength based on kinetic energy

1. What is DeBroglie wavelength based on kinetic energy?

The DeBroglie wavelength based on kinetic energy is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the wavelength of a particle in motion. It is based on the kinetic energy of the particle and is related to its momentum.

2. How is the DeBroglie wavelength calculated?

The DeBroglie wavelength is calculated using the formula: λ = h/mv, where λ is the wavelength, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the particle, and v is the velocity of the particle.

3. What is the significance of the DeBroglie wavelength?

The DeBroglie wavelength is significant because it demonstrates the wave-particle duality of matter. It shows that particles, such as electrons, can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior.

4. How does the DeBroglie wavelength relate to the uncertainty principle?

The DeBroglie wavelength is related to the uncertainty principle, which states that the more accurately we know a particle's position, the less accurately we can know its momentum, and vice versa. The DeBroglie wavelength is a measure of the uncertainty in a particle's momentum.

5. Can the DeBroglie wavelength be observed in everyday objects?

The DeBroglie wavelength is typically observed in subatomic particles, such as electrons, due to their small mass and high velocities. It is not observable in everyday objects because their mass and velocity are too large to exhibit significant wave-like behavior.