Debunking Mental Health Myths: Separating Facts from Fiction

• Medical
  • Thread starter Blahness
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea that mental illness is not solely caused by biological problems in the brain, but rather a combination of biological and emotional factors. Another point is made that psychiatric disorders are legitimate medical illnesses and can be treated effectively. However, it is important to consider that each individual's experience with mental illness is unique and cannot be generalized. The conversation also delves into the question of what separates emotional and biological problems, highlighting the interconnectedness between the two.
Blahness
First I read http://psychcentral.com/archives/top_myths.htm", which states that Mental Illness is not based on biological problems in the brain. (#3)
3. Mental health problems are purely biological or genetic in nature.
Some professionals and mental health advocacy organizations feel that mistruths like this one will better forward their professional biases or political agendas, yet this remains a myth. Mental health problems are not caused by solely bad genes or a biological chemical imbalance, according to the research we have to date. Any health care professional, doctor, or mental health advocate who claims otherwise is telling you a half-truth to forward their own, unspoken agendas.

Then I read http://www.mhagstl.org/myths.htm" , which states that it is. (#1)
Myth #1: Psychiatric disorders are not true medical illnesses like heart disease and diabetes. People who have a mental illness are just "crazy."

Fact: Brain disorders, like heart disease and diabetes, are legitimate medical illnesses. Research shows there are genetic and biological causes for psychiatric disorders, and they can be treated effectively.

Oh, and another:

Myth #6: It is not normal for older adults to be depressed.

Fact: Depression is a normal part of life at any age. This holds especially true in our post-modern culture where older people are often separated from their children and grandchildren by great distances, and then relegated to a nursing home when they become too burdensome on those long-distance family members.
>http://www.namiscc.org/Editorial/2002/TopTenMyths.htm<

7. Myth: Depression is a normal part of getting older.

Depression is not a normal part of aging, but seniors do generally experience more of the events that can trigger depression: loss of family and friends, ill health, isolation and financial worries. Furthermore, people over the age of 60 grew up in an era in which mental illness was not discussed, and they may feel more shame about asking for help than someone from a subsequent generation.

The highest rate of suicide of any age group occurs in that of people 65 and older, with men being more vulnerable than women. It’s imperative that seniors with depression seek help.
>http://www.healthcentral.com/depression/index-822-143_2.html<

Which to believe?
(Fixed)

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
I would think that they both often complement each other, and each is somewhat affected by the other (mental vs physical).

(1) A physical illness can cause mental reactions and illness's(sometimes but not always), (2) just as mental illness's can cause physical reactions and illness's (again sometimes but not always).

For example,
(1) Poor dieting can lead to various mental illness’s (some subtle some not so subtle): If a person’s body does not intake enough iron in their diet, then the brain is deprived of this needed mineral and in return influences the way that person thinks and mentally acts/reacts. Another example is alcohol and illegal drugs – they physically alter the chemical balances of the brain and its processing to the point that they can cause a not so stupid person to do some very stupid things while under the influence.

(2) Placebo medicine’s, various forms of hypnosis, worrying, stress, fear, mood swings, etc… – these can all influence your body’s regular functions and ‘normal’ chemical balances throughout your entire body, which in turn can affect any number of bodily functions and systems. Another example is a co-worker of mine, I tested this out several times without his knowledge just to experiment (playing god with his life I guess), I perteneded to be sick, caughing and drooping my face, and mooning and complaining all day long while around him (even though I felt fine), and the next day he either came in sick or called in sick, and remained sick for the remainder of the week.

Another example experiment that anyone can conduct is, the next time that you are in a room full of people (20-30 people, classroom size, works best), cough out loud and then sniff really loud, do this several times over the course of a couple of minutes, and then sit back and see how many other people in the room begins to also cough and sniff loudly. It’s kind of funny actually. If you don't feel comfortable pertending to be sick, then just yawn loudly, the see how many other people get sleepy or bord.

Also, don’t forget that since nobody’s body is perfect (except for mine), there will be inherited and genetic defects some subtle some not so subtle that can causes a persons ‘normal’ physical makeup and chemical balance's to be different than your ‘normal’ physical makeup and chemical balance's, which can cause them to look, think, behave, act and/or react differently than you would (even if your opinions and thoughts are somewhat identical).

Anyways, hope this helps.

Last edited:
Blahness said:
First I read http://psychcentral.com/archives/top_myths.htm", which states that Mental Illness is not based on biological problems in the brain. (#3)
Psychiatry is the most confused branch of medicine that exists. Just ignore both statements and know that the symptoms that are called "mental illness" might be from either source: organic malfunction, or emotional trauma. In most cases there are both. Take someone who starts to hear disembodied voices talking to them. That hallucination is probably the result of organic damage or chemical screwup in the brain. The experience itself, though, is so disorienting and frightening that the patient suffers further emotional distress and alienation from those around them.

You really can't make any accurate blanket statements. Each and every symptom has to be looked at by itself.

@speso: I've heard of contagious conditions. Interesting o_o

@zooby: No blanket statements? Okay.

How about Depression, specifically?

An interesting question to consider here is, to what extent are "biological problems" and "emotional problems" really distinct? After all, any experienced emotional trauma with respect to 'baseline' temperament finds reflection in differential biological factors in the brain, and likewise any biological problem that is genuinely a problem with respect to mental health must likewise find reflection in emotional and/or cognitive disturbances. What is it exactly about "emotional problems" that distinguishes them from "biological problems"?

Blahness said:
Just for the record, the first excerpt doesn't say that mental illnesses have no biological component; it says that mental illnesses do not consist of purely / solely / only a biological component, i.e., they could be a combination of biology and other things.

hypnagogue said:
An interesting question to consider here is, to what extent are "biological problems" and "emotional problems" really distinct? After all, any experienced emotional trauma with respect to 'baseline' temperament finds reflection in differential biological factors in the brain, and likewise any biological problem that is genuinely a problem with respect to mental health must likewise find reflection in emotional and/or cognitive disturbances. What is it exactly about "emotional problems" that distinguishes them from "biological problems"?
If the definition of the terms is part of the question, could we have an example? Say, what distinguishes perceiving a threat (emotional) from increasing your heart rate (biological)? The difference that jumps out at me is that the former can be affected more directly and to a greater extent by consciousness. I think conscious control also shows up in another common distinction, biological vs. behavioral (and the corresponding treatements: medication/surgery/etc. vs. therapy). Just some stray thoughts. I think it's a great question.

honestrosewater said:
Just for the record, the first excerpt doesn't say that mental illnesses have no biological component; it says that mental illnesses do not consist of purely / solely / only a biological component, i.e., they could be a combination of biology and other things.
You're right. It's not dismissed as untrue but as a half-truth.

Hmm, I suck at looking at details.

So illnesses are PARTIALLY biological?

And, does anyone have any idea on the Depression part?

Hi all,

Since mental illness are held by a person and are located where brain stands thus mental illness is a biological process.

Why will there a difference with brain and other parts of body (because brain is also a body part). None.

A body/mind distinction that came with Descartes and stands still but is a myth.

Last edited:
Blahness said:
Hmm, I suck at looking at details.
You are specifically concerned with what causes depression, or if it is true that depression is a natural part of old age?

Blahness said:
I think you would have to ask this of each 'mental illness'; lots of things are called mental illnesses. Maybe it would be easier to list some things that suggest that an illness, or some set of symptoms, has a biological component. For instance, if the symptoms are relieved with medication, the symptoms appear immediately following some physical trauma, people with the same symptoms also have the same physical abnormality, the illness appears to be inherited, etc. (Again, those are just examples.)
Heh, those two quotes just use the same words in different ways to say what amounts to the same thing: older adults experience more of the things that can trigger depression, and it is expected that the number of cases of depression in older adults would reflect this (more triggers leads to more cases). They basically say that a person will not necessarily start suffering from depression as they get older, indeed there might be ways to reduce the chances of that happening. But it is not surprising or weird that people do develop depression as the get older, and when this happens, the people suffering should get help.
I don't know whether or not that's actually true.

I think normal is the main source of confusion there -- it has many different meanings.

Last edited:

1. What is the basis for determining what to believe?

The basis for determining what to believe varies for each individual. Some may base their beliefs on personal experiences, while others may rely on scientific evidence or religious teachings. Ultimately, it is up to the individual to determine what they believe and why.

2. How can we differentiate between what is true and what is false?

Differentiating between what is true and what is false can be a complex process. It often involves critical thinking, examining evidence, and considering multiple perspectives. It is important to question sources and verify information before coming to a conclusion.

3. Is it possible to believe in something without evidence?

Yes, it is possible to believe in something without evidence. Beliefs are often based on personal feelings or intuition, rather than concrete evidence. However, it is important to recognize that beliefs without evidence may not hold up to scrutiny or be accepted by others.

4. How do personal biases impact what we believe?

Personal biases can greatly impact what we believe. Biases are inherent in all individuals and can shape our perceptions and interpretations of information. It is important to be aware of our biases and consider how they may be influencing our beliefs.

5. Can we ever be certain of what we believe?

It is difficult to be certain of what we believe, as beliefs are often subjective and can change over time. However, by actively seeking out information, critically evaluating evidence, and being open to new perspectives, we can increase our level of certainty in our beliefs.