Debunking the Myth: Is O3 Really Heavier than O2 in the Ozone Layer?"

• Thread starter uq_civediv
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oxygen
In summary, ozone is formed when oxygen is exposed to ultraviolet light. It is heavier than air and has difficulty sinking, so it is usually located in the stratosphere. Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) are a type of gas that are heavier than air and are known to be present in the stratosphere, but their presence is due to the speed at which they are mixed and not due to their weight.
uq_civediv
O2 is the ordinary form of oxygen, but O3 forms the ozone layer if i recall correctly.
Shouldn't O3 be heavier than O2 and thus be located lower than O2 not in the upper atmosphere?

told you it was kinda dumb one but it unknowingness (?) bothers me :rolleyes:

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It is hardly a dumb question. I haven't thought about this until just now, but I can attempt an explanation. Do not take this as the truth until it is confirmed by someone else (but it certainly provides a plausibility argument until such time).

There are (in my mind) 3 aspects to this problem :

1. Ozone formation : Ozone formation from oxygen typically requires UV excitation. There is more UV insolation in the upper reaches of the atmosphere. In fact, the ozone thus formed is itself the most dominant absorber of UV. So, it is hard to form very much ozone in the lower atmosphere. (Also, as you go much higher, say into the mesosphere, the density of oxygen becomes so small that it is again hard to form ozone; the optimal height happens to be in the stratosphere.)

But what stops the ozone formed in the stratosphere from sinking down ?

2. Transport : Due to the density of ozone being about 50% more than air, you would expect the ozone to sink towards the Earth's surface. This may well be happening, but this is a very slow process even under still conditions. In the presence of disturbances in the air, the downward drift might be even slower. (Typically, in a still medium, the rate of sinking depends on the ratio between the excess gravitational energy - proportional to the excess density - and the average thermal energy of the molecules, as well as the intermolecular attraction - which is quite high due to its polarity.)

But you may argue that no matter how slow the rate of sinking, the ozone should eventually find its way to the bottom and accumulate there. So, why is it important that the rate of sinking is slow ?

3. Stability : Ozone is not a particularly stable molecule. Even in a clean system it has a half-life of only about 10 hours. In the presence of moisture, CFCs, acidic gases, etc. this hal-life gets reduced to less than an hour. So, as the ozone sinks (assuming it does...even if very slowly), it gets destroyed, and is rarely "alive" long enough to make it down very far.

I found a site where the title of the page may interest you: "How Can Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) Get to the Stratosphere If They're Heavier than Air?"

"CFC molecules are indeed several times heavier than air. Nevertheless, thousands of measurements from balloons, aircraft, and satellites demonstrate that the CFCs are actually present in the stratosphere. This is because winds and other air motions mix the atmosphere to altitudes far above the top of the stratosphere much faster than molecules can settle according to their weight. Gases such as CFCs that do not dissolve in water and that are relatively unreactive in the lower atmosphere are mixed relatively quickly and therefore reach the stratosphere regardless of their weight."

http://www.al.noaa.gov/WWWHD/pubdocs/Assessment98/faq1.html

I'm guessing it could be the heat from the radiation of the sun causing the air around that area to be less dense and thus making it rise? Just guessing.

1. What is oxygen?

Oxygen is a chemical element with the symbol O and atomic number 8. It is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas that makes up about 21% of the Earth's atmosphere.

2. Why is oxygen important?

Oxygen is essential for life on Earth. It is used by organisms in the process of respiration to produce energy, and it is also necessary for the combustion of fuels and other chemical reactions.

3. How do we obtain oxygen?

Oxygen can be obtained through the process of photosynthesis, where plants and algae use sunlight to convert carbon dioxide and water into oxygen and glucose. We can also obtain oxygen through the electrolysis of water or through fractional distillation of air.

4. Can we survive without oxygen?

No, we cannot survive without oxygen. Our bodies require oxygen for cellular respiration, and without it, our cells would not be able to produce energy. Lack of oxygen for even a few minutes can lead to brain damage or death.

5. Is there a difference between the oxygen we breathe and the oxygen in the atmosphere?

The oxygen we breathe is the same element as the oxygen in the atmosphere, but it is in a different form. The oxygen in the atmosphere is diatomic, meaning it is made up of two oxygen atoms (O2). The oxygen we breathe is in a triatomic form, known as ozone (O3).