What Is the Correct Debye Temperature Calculation for Gold?

In summary, the conversation revolves around calculating the Debye temperature for gold using the equation ΘD = ħ(vs/kb)∛(6π^2N/V). The speed of sound in gold is given as 3240 m/s and the atom density of gold is calculated to be 5.9*10^28m^-3. However, the calculated Debye temperature for gold is 375.52 K, which is significantly higher than the tabular value of 165 K. The speaker is seeking help in identifying any mistakes in their calculations or if they used the wrong formula or parameters.
Spring lady

Homework Statement

Calculate the Debye temperature for gold

Homework Equations

$$Θ_D = \hbar \frac{v_s}{k_b} \sqrt[3]{6π^2 \frac{N}{V}}$$
Speed of sound in gold: $$v_s=3240 m/s$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the equation for ΘD and for the concentration I used the value for atom density that I calculated for gold 5.9*10^28m^-3. I also checked this atom density for gold on the internet and I found the same value. However, I got that the Debye temperature for gold is 375.52 K and a tabular value for gold is 165 K.

Can someone please tell me where I made the mistake in my calculation and these formulas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Spring lady said:

Homework Statement

Calculate the Debye temperature for gold

Homework Equations

$$Θ_D = \hbar \frac{v_s}{k_b} \sqrt[3]{6π^2 \frac{N}{V}}$$
Speed of sound in gold: $$v_s=3240 m/s$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the equation for ΘD and for the concentration I used the value for atom density that I calculated for gold 5.9*10^28m^-3. I also checked this atom density for gold on the internet and I found the same value. However, I got that the Debye temperature for gold is 375.52 K and a tabular value for gold is 165 K.

Can someone please tell me where I made the mistake in my calculation and these formulas?
We can't tell you where you made a mistake in your calculations unless you post them. :frown:

I posted all relevant values and constants. The calculation is very simple, I just typed all these constants in a calculator. I checked everything and I repeated this many times, but I got the same value. I thought that maybe I used the wrong formula or the wrong values for the speed of sound and N/V. Can someone please tell me if these parameters and formula are correct at all?

What is the Debye temperature for gold?

The Debye temperature for gold is a characteristic temperature that describes the average energy of vibrations within the gold lattice. It is a measure of the stiffness or rigidity of the metal and is typically expressed in units of Kelvin (K).

How is the Debye temperature for gold determined?

The Debye temperature for gold can be determined experimentally by measuring the specific heat capacity of the metal at various temperatures and using the Debye model to fit the data. It can also be calculated theoretically using the material's elastic constants and density.

What factors can affect the Debye temperature for gold?

The Debye temperature for gold can be affected by factors such as impurities, defects, and crystal structure. These can alter the stiffness of the lattice and therefore change the Debye temperature. Temperature and pressure can also have an impact on the Debye temperature for gold.

Why is the Debye temperature for gold important?

The Debye temperature for gold is important because it provides insight into the thermal and mechanical properties of the metal. It can also be used to predict the behavior of gold at high temperatures, such as in industrial or technological applications.

What is the relationship between the Debye temperature and melting point of gold?

The Debye temperature for gold is directly related to its melting point. As the Debye temperature increases, so does the melting point. This is because a higher Debye temperature indicates a stronger lattice, making it more difficult for the metal to melt and change phases.