Decay rate of a particle into three particles

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of decay of a muon into an electron, electron antineutrino, and muon neutrino using the Fermi theory. The decay rate is calculated by using the relevant equation and simplifying it to integrate over the two non-trivial degrees of freedom. It is suggested to choose the invariant mass of two particles and the electron neutrino mass as variables for easier integration.
leo.

Homework Statement

Consider the process of decay of a muon into one electron, one electron antineutrino and one muon neutrino using the Fermi theory. Assume the matrix element is, ignoring the electron's and the two neturino's masses,
[tex]|\mathcal{M}|^2 = 32G_F^2(m^2-2mE)mE[/tex]
being [itex]E[/itex] the electron antineutrino energy and [itex]m[/itex] the muon mass. Find the decay rate.

Homework Equations

I believe the most relevant equation would be the equation for the decay rate, particularized for the case of three particles in the final state
[tex]\Gamma = \dfrac{1}{2E_1} \int (2\pi)^4 \delta^4(\Sigma_p) |\mathcal{M}|^2 \dfrac{d^3 p_2}{(2\pi)^3}\dfrac{1}{2E_2}\dfrac{d^3 p_3}{(2\pi)^3}\dfrac{1}{2E_3}\dfrac{d^3 p_4}{(2\pi)^3}\dfrac{1}{2E_4}[/tex]
being [itex] \delta^4(\Sigma_p) = \delta^4 ( p_1^\mu - (p_2^\mu + p_3^\mu + p_4^\mu))[/itex] a four-momentum conserving delta function.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here I'm labeling (1) the initial muon, (2) the electron antineutrino, (3) the electron and (4) the muon neutrino.

My attempt was to work in the center of mass frame, so that [itex]\mathbf{p}_1=0[/itex] and [itex]E_1 = m[/itex]. With this I've rewritten the delta function as [itex]\delta^4(\Sigma_p)=\delta(m-E_2-E_3-E_4)\delta^4(-\mathbf{p}_2-\mathbf{p}_3-\mathbf{p}_4[/itex]. Thus we get

[tex]\Gamma = \dfrac{1}{2m} \dfrac{(2\pi)^4}{8(2\pi)^9}\int \dfrac{|\mathcal{M}^2|}{E_2E_3E_4} \delta(m-E_2-E_3-E_4)\delta^3(-\mathbf{p}_2-\mathbf{p}_3-\mathbf{p}_4)d^3 p_2 d^3p_3 d^3p_4[/tex]

now since the problem tells to ignore the masses of the electron and the neutrinos we can assume that [itex]E_i=|\mathbf{p}_i|[/itex] for [itex]i=2,3,4[/itex]. Thus we simplify further to

[tex]\Gamma = \dfrac{1}{16m} \dfrac{1}{(2\pi)^5}\int \dfrac{|\mathcal{M}^2|}{|\mathbf{p}_2| |\mathbf{p}_3| |\mathbf{p}_4|} \delta(m-|\mathbf{p}_2|-|\mathbf{p}_3|-|\mathbf{p}_4|)\delta^3(-\mathbf{p}_2-\mathbf{p}_3-\mathbf{p}_4)d^3 p_2 d^3p_3 d^3p_4[/tex]

now we integrate over [itex]d^3p_4[/itex] using the delta. This will compute every [itex]\mathbf{p}_4[/itex] in [itex]-\mathbf{p}_2 - \mathbf{p}_3[/itex]. Thus we find that

[tex]\Gamma = \dfrac{1}{16m} \dfrac{1}{(2\pi)^5}\int \dfrac{|\mathcal{M}^2|}{|\mathbf{p}_2| |\mathbf{p}_3| |\mathbf{p}_2+\mathbf{p}_3|} \delta(m-|\mathbf{p}_2|-|\mathbf{p}_3|-|\mathbf{p}_2+\mathbf{p}_3|)d^3 p_2 d^3p_3[/tex]

Now we use spherical coordinates. Considering [itex]\mathbf{p}_2[/itex] fixed we arrange the axis of [itex]\mathbf{p}_3[/itex] so that [itex]\mathbf{p}_2[/itex] lies along the [itex]z[/itex]-axis. With this, writing [itex]k_i = |\mathbf{p}_i| [/itex] we have [tex]|\mathbf{p}_2+\mathbf{p}_3| = \sqrt{k_2+k_3 +2k_2k_3\cos \theta_3}[/tex] which turns the integral into the horrible form

[tex]\Gamma = \dfrac{1}{16m} \dfrac{1}{(2\pi)^5} \int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^\pi \int_0^\pi \int_0^\infty \int_0^\infty \dfrac{|\mathcal{M}^2|\delta(m-k_2-k_3-\sqrt{k_2+k_3+2k_2 k_3\cos\theta_3})}{k_2 k_3 \sqrt{k_2+k_3+2k_2k_3\cos\theta_3}} k_2k_3\sin\theta_2\sin\theta_3 dk_2 dk_3 d\theta_2d\theta_3 d\phi_2d\phi_3[/tex]

where we can integrate over the [itex]\phi[/itex] variables and the [itex]\theta_2[/itex] and simplify to

[tex]\Gamma = \dfrac{1}{8m} \dfrac{1}{(2\pi)^3} \int_0^\pi \int_0^\infty \int_0^\infty \dfrac{|\mathcal{M}^2|\delta(m-k_2-k_3-\sqrt{k_2+k_3+2k_2 k_3\cos\theta_3})}{ \sqrt{k_2+k_3+2k_2k_3\cos\theta_3}}\sin\theta_3 dk_2 dk_3 d\theta_3[/tex]

now is where I'm stuck. My better idea was to change variables defining [itex]k = k_2+k_3+2k_2k_3\cos\theta_3[/itex]. That is, the energy on the center of mass frame. This would make the delta simplify to [itex]\delta(m-k)[/itex] but I didn't get much further.

So is my approach correct, or I made some mistake on how to tackle this? And how do I proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
The decay just has two non-trivial degrees of freedom. Isolate them and all other integrals are trivial (you integrate over a constant).
Typically one would choose the invariant mass of two particles for two different pairs, but as the electron neutrino mass appears in your matrix element, it might be better to choose this as one variable.

What is the decay rate of a particle into three particles?

The decay rate of a particle into three particles refers to the rate at which a single particle will break down into three smaller particles over time. This rate is determined by the properties of the parent particle, such as its mass and energy, as well as the properties of the resulting particles.

How is the decay rate of a particle into three particles calculated?

The decay rate of a particle into three particles is calculated using the principles of quantum mechanics, specifically the concept of the decay constant. This constant is related to the probability of a particle decaying within a certain period of time, and can be used to determine the decay rate.

What factors affect the decay rate of a particle into three particles?

The decay rate of a particle into three particles can be affected by several factors, including the mass and energy of the parent particle, the properties of the resulting particles, and any external forces or interactions that may influence the decay process. The half-life of the parent particle, which is the time it takes for half of the particles to decay, also plays a role in the decay rate.

Can the decay rate of a particle into three particles be manipulated?

In some cases, the decay rate of a particle into three particles can be manipulated by changing the properties of the parent particle or introducing external forces. However, this manipulation is limited and cannot be done for all particles. Additionally, the manipulation of decay rates is a complex and ongoing area of research in the field of particle physics.

Why is understanding the decay rate of a particle into three particles important?

Understanding the decay rate of a particle into three particles is important for several reasons. It provides valuable insight into the fundamental properties of particles and their interactions, which can help us better understand the universe and its origins. Additionally, this knowledge is crucial for various applications, such as in medical imaging and nuclear energy production.