Deciding Between Apostol & Courant Books - Input Appreciated

• Calculus
  • Thread starter Ryan14159
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Apostol
In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's struggle in deciding which multi-volume book to get. They mention having read Spivak's "Calculus" and being told that both authors are similar to him. The other person suggests getting a book with new material, specifically an analysis book. The speaker mentions finding Spivak's book useful as a reference and being advised to look up Apostol and Courant for their attention to detail. The other person recommends Apostol as the better book, though still difficult. They also question the speaker's level of mathematical knowledge and experience.
Ryan14159
Im really having a hard time on deciding which of the two multi-volume books to get. I haven't read either of the two, but I do have Spivak's "Calculus", great book, and I've been told both authors are somewhat similar to him. Any input would be much appreciated.

(And yes I have considered just getting both but I am a college student on a budget)

Physics news on Phys.org
You already read Spivak? No need getting Apostol or Courant then. Just get something with actual new material, like an actual analysis book.

Hah, I've tried to more than once, but I don't know if I want to just start laughing out loud or through it across the room, so I've found that its most useful as a reference book. A few people have told me to look up the two above mentioned mathematicians because they put a similar effort into their proofs and explanations. Its the attention to detail they use that gets me.

Ryan14159 said:
Hah, I've tried to more than once, but I don't know if I want to just start laughing out loud or through it across the room, so I've found that its most useful as a reference book. A few people have told me to look up the two above mentioned mathematicians because they put a similar effort into their proofs and explanations. Its the attention to detail they use that gets me.

OK. Anyway, I think Apostol is the better book here. The problems are not as theoretical as Spivak, but they are still as difficult.

May I ask you what knowledge of mathematics you have already? It is very likely you just don't have enough experience or knowledge to be able to tackle Spivak, or Apostol, or Courant.

What are the differences between Apostol and Courant books?

The main difference between Apostol and Courant books is their approach to mathematics. Apostol focuses on a more rigorous and theoretical approach, while Courant emphasizes practical applications and problem-solving techniques.

Which book is better for beginners in mathematics?

For beginners, Courant's book may be more suitable as it provides a good balance between theory and application, making it easier to understand and grasp the concepts.

Which book is better for advanced mathematics students?

Advanced mathematics students may benefit more from Apostol's book as it delves deeper into the theoretical foundations and provides a more challenging and rigorous approach to the subject.

Which book is more comprehensive?

Both books cover a wide range of topics in mathematics, but Apostol's book may be considered more comprehensive as it covers more advanced topics and provides a more in-depth analysis of the subject.

Can these books be used together for a more thorough understanding?

Yes, using both Apostol and Courant's books together can provide a more well-rounded and comprehensive understanding of mathematics. Each book offers a unique perspective and approach to the subject, complementing each other well.