Deciding Between Multiple REU Offers: Is it OK to Ask?

In summary, the person is considering emailing two other REUs about the status of their application before responding to an offer from another REU. They are worried about the possibility of getting accepted to both and having to reject one after an early decision has been made. However, it is not a bad idea to ask for an update and explain the situation in the email.
aznriceboi
I have a quick question. Right now, I have an offer from an REU that I have to respond to by Wednesday. However, I applied to 2 other REUs that I would like to hear back from first, but whose decisions won't come out until mid April. I know that other people on this forum have mentioned emailing these places to ask about the status of the application, but it would be ok to ask these 2 places simultaneously? Since I won't have time to first ask one, wait to hear the decision, and THEN ask another. My worry is that in the admittedly unlikely event that I get accepted to both, I would then have to say to one of them, "Oh, thank you for going through the trouble of making an early decision on my application, but I actually ended up picking a different REU."

Physics news on Phys.org
aznriceboi said:
Since I won't have time to first ask one, wait to hear the decision, and THEN ask another. My worry is that in the admittedly unlikely event that I get accepted to both, I would then have to say to one of them, "Oh, thank you for going through the trouble of making an early decision on my application, but I actually ended up picking a different REU."

I don't think it's going to be a bad thing if you just explain the issue in the e-mail and then ask for a status. There is a reasonable chance that they've already made the decisions so asking for the information in advance won't change much.

1. What is an REU offer?

An REU offer refers to an offer made by a research institution or university to participate in a research experience for undergraduate (REU) program. These programs typically involve students working on a research project with faculty mentors over the summer.

2. Is it common to receive multiple REU offers?

Yes, it is not uncommon for students to receive multiple REU offers. Students typically apply to multiple programs to increase their chances of being accepted.

3. How should I decide between multiple REU offers?

When deciding between multiple REU offers, it is important to consider factors such as the research project, the mentor, the location, and the duration of the program. It is also helpful to reach out to current or past participants to get a better understanding of their experiences.

4. Is it appropriate to ask for more time to decide between REU offers?

Yes, it is acceptable to ask for more time to decide between REU offers. It is important to communicate with the program coordinators and let them know that you are considering multiple offers and need more time to make a decision.

5. Can I negotiate with REU programs?

It is not common to negotiate with REU programs as they typically have limited funding and a set number of positions. However, if you have a specific concern or request, it is acceptable to communicate this with the program coordinators and see if they can accommodate it.