Deciphering Decay Chains: Understanding the Complexity of Radioactive Decay

• I
  • Thread starter nmsurobert
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Decay
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of decay chains and how they work. It is mentioned that the half-life of 238U is 4.5 billion years and the other half of the sample is converted to 206Pb. The conversation also explores how the activities of the different isotopes in a decay chain eventually equalize to that of the mother isotope. It is also mentioned that knowing the half-life of a particular isotope can be done by looking it up or using mathematical equations, but for more complex decay chains it may require the use of tools like Excel. Overall, the conversation delves into the complexities of decay chains and how they can be understood and calculated.
nmsurobert
I've been reading about decay chains and I have confused myself on how decay works.

Take a sample of 238U for example.. its half-life is 4.5 billion years. At that point half of the sample is now 238U and the other half is 206Pb.
But looking at a decay chain, (and maybe I am reading it wrong) it shows that the change from 238U to 234Th is 4.5 billion years. Are the other half lives in the chain are so short relative to first step that we are quickly left with half 238U and half 206Pb?

Anytime I see figures of this half life, only first first and last isotopes are shown. There is never a discussion about the series. I started reading about this because I wanted a physical answer to how do we know the half life of 232Th without using the decay formula.

This is the chain I've been looking at. http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Nuclear/radser.html#c3

Physics news on Phys.org
As your chart shows, the next longest isotope is U-234 at 246,000 years. Long for us, but practically instantaneous with respect to a few billion.

nmsurobert said:
how do we know the half life of 232Th without using the decay formula.

We look it up. It's 14 billion years.

Also, for series like this, eventually the activities ##A_i = \lambda_i N_i## of all of the unstable daughter isotopes in the chain equalise to that of the mother isotope (##^{238}\text{U}##). Once this equilibrium has been reached we can effectively "ignore" all of the isotopes in the middle, since the ##^{206}\text{Pb}## will be produced at exactly the same rate that the ##^{238}\text{U}## is used up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes nmsurobert
etotheipi said:
Also, for series like this, eventually the activities ##A_i = \lambda_i N_i## of all of the unstable daughter isotopes in the chain equalise to that of the mother isotope (##^{238}\text{U}##). Once this equilibrium has been reached we can effectively "ignore" all of the isotopes in the middle, since the ##^{206}\text{Pb}## will be produced at exactly the same rate that the ##^{238}\text{U}## is used up.
I thought that would be the case. I tried to scribble some math and show that, but I was just frustrating myself even more. Thought I'd come here and ask the pros. Thanks.

nmsurobert said:
I tried to scribble some math and show that, but I was just frustrating myself even more.
Me too!
If a chain consists of a set of different reactions with different rates r for the different steps then the decay will not necessarily be a simple exponential. Thats just a bit of Maths but I think it has to apply.
A(t) = A0 Exp(r1/t) where r1 is the rate of one reaction but then there will be A0 - A(t) of product of that reaction which will be changing and decaying at its own rate. Overall that doesn't look like a simple exponential decay so it won't have a simple half life. But the r for one very long r step would dominate so you would often get near enough a half life.

If I really wanted to know the answer then I would probably reach for Excel. That would give a fair answer for a two step chain. Trouble is that every time I do reach for Excel, I find the basic skills are getting more and more tired and forgotten. Sad thing is that there's probably a bit of long forgotten book work that would allow one to do it analytically.

For the first two in the chain, e.g. ##N_1## and ##N_2##, then we could say something like$$dN_{2} = A_{1}dt - A_{2}dt = \lambda_{1}N_{1}dt - \lambda_2 N_2 dt$$ $$\frac{dN_{2}}{dt} = \lambda_{1}N_{1} - \lambda_2 N_2= \lambda_{1}N_{1}(0)e^{-\lambda_{1}t} - \lambda_2 N_2$$We can multiply through by ##e^{\lambda_2 t}##,$$e^{\lambda_2 t}\frac{dN_{2}}{dt} + e^{\lambda_2 t} \lambda_2 N_2 = \lambda_1 N_1(0)e^{(\lambda_2-\lambda_1) t}$$ $$N_2(t) e^{\lambda_2 t} = \lambda_1 N_1(0) \int e^{(\lambda_2 - \lambda_1)t} dt = \lambda_1 N_1(0) \frac{1}{\lambda_2 - \lambda_1} e^{(\lambda_2 - \lambda_1)t} + c$$Now if we know ##N_2(t)## maybe it is possible to obtain the form for ##N_3(t)##, and so on... but it looks like it might get a little tricky!

Likes sophiecentaur
We actually have a quite notable decay chain where the simplifications do NOT hold.
244Pu->240U+α 80 million years
240U->240Np+β+νˇe 14 h
240Np->240Pu+β+νˇe 62 min
240Pu->236U+α 6 560 years
236U->232Th+α 23,4 million years
232Th->228Ra+α 14 050 million years

Note that since the half-life of 236U is shorter than, but a substantial fraction of, the half-life of 244Pu, the activity of 236U relative to that of 244Pu will stabilize at a level substantially higher than that of unity.
The half-life of 232Th is longer than that of 244Pu and therefore the ratio of 232Th activity to 244Pu grows without bound.

Likes anorlunda and sophiecentaur
etotheipi said:
but it looks like it might get a little tricky!
. . . so I don't need to feel bad about it!

1. What is a decay chain?

A decay chain is a series of radioactive decays that occur in a specific order until a stable element is reached. Each decay in the chain produces a new element that may also undergo further decay.

2. How is a decay chain formed?

A decay chain is formed when a radioactive element undergoes radioactive decay, releasing energy and particles. The daughter element produced from this decay may also be radioactive and undergo its own decay, forming a chain of decays.

3. What is the significance of decay chains?

Decay chains are important in understanding the behavior of radioactive elements and their potential impact on the environment. They can also be used to determine the age of rocks and artifacts through the process of radioactive dating.

4. How do scientists study decay chains?

Scientists study decay chains by measuring the rate of decay and the types of particles and energy released during each decay. They also use mathematical models to predict the behavior of decay chains and make calculations about the amount of radioactive material present.

5. What are some examples of decay chains?

An example of a decay chain is the decay of uranium-238 into lead-206, which involves a series of 14 decays. Another example is the decay of radon-222 into polonium-218, which involves 6 decays. Both of these decay chains ultimately result in the formation of stable lead and polonium isotopes.