Radioactive decay characteristics as measured by a dosimeter

In summary: The graph shows a transition from linear to exponential decay at the point where the number of decays per second is equal to the amount of radioactive material remaining. This happens at the midway point of the half-life.
artis
If I put a dosimeter 1 meter away from a gamma sample that starts decaying at the moment I switch on the dosimeter then how would I measure the dose level received by the dosimeter, would it gradually decrease over the first half life or would it stay the same throughout the first half life until the end of the half life?

I ask this because I know isotopes have a exponential rate at which they decay , as in the majority of atoms can decay within the first part or the last part of the half life but how does that translate into actual levels seen by dosimeter?

Physics news on Phys.org
artis said:
If I put a dosimeter 1 meter away from a gamma sample that starts decaying at the moment I switch on the dosimeter then how would I measure the dose level received by the dosimeter, would it gradually decrease over the first half life or would it stay the same throughout the first half life until the end of the half life?

I ask this because I know isotopes have a exponential rate at which they decay

The decrease of dose level would be gradual and continuous.

See the graph at the top of this page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponential_decay

It shows the amount remaining undecayed as time passes. The decay rate (number of decays per second) follows a similar curve because it's proportional to the remaining amount at every point in time.

Let's be careful here. The dose is integrated so will always increase. The rate of dose will decrease exponentially.

Likes PSRB191921
Well I was thinking in terms of real time radiation strength received by dosimeter rather than an accumulated dose of a person over a time interval.
I understand the dose decreases exponentially as it halves after each half life so 1/4 is left after the second half life but I was wondering how it decreases specifically within the margin of one half life, more linearly or also exponentially ?jtbell the graph you referred to, does it mean that the first half lifes decay almost linearly within the margin of half life itself and the later ones decay more exponentially within the same margin of that half life?

Don't call it dose if you mean the dose rate. That's like taking about the maximal distance of car if you mean the top speed.
artis said:
more linearly or also exponentially ?
The dose rate decreases exponentially. That is a general statement that applies to all times. There is nothing special about the half-life time.

Likes Vanadium 50
artis said:
jtbell the graph you referred to, does it mean that the first half lifes decay almost linearly within the margin of half life itself and the later ones decay more exponentially within the same margin of that half life?
For which curve in that graph do you see a transition between linear and exponential, and at what time?

1. What is a dosimeter and how does it measure radioactive decay?

A dosimeter is a device used to measure the amount of ionizing radiation an individual is exposed to. It works by detecting and measuring the ionizing particles or photons produced by radioactive decay.

2. What are the units of measurement for a dosimeter?

The units of measurement for a dosimeter vary depending on the type of radiation being measured. For example, the unit for measuring gamma rays is the Roentgen (R), while the unit for measuring absorbed dose is the Gray (Gy).

3. How accurate are dosimeters in measuring radiation exposure?

Dosimeters are highly accurate in measuring radiation exposure, with most models having an accuracy of +/- 10%. However, factors such as calibration, proper use, and environmental conditions can affect the accuracy of a dosimeter.

4. Can dosimeters measure all types of radiation?

No, dosimeters are designed to measure specific types of radiation. For example, some dosimeters can only measure gamma rays, while others can measure both gamma and beta particles. It is important to use the correct dosimeter for the type of radiation being measured.

5. How can dosimeter readings be interpreted?

Dosimeter readings can be interpreted by comparing them to established radiation exposure limits and guidelines. These limits vary depending on the type of radiation and the individual's occupation or exposure circumstances. It is important to consult with a trained professional to properly interpret dosimeter readings.