Decoherence references and a question about the measurement problem

Both books provide a certain amount of overlap.In summary, questions were asked about the best source for learning about decoherence and its relation to the quantum-to-classical transition, as well as the idea of quantized probabilities and its connection to the measurement problem. It was suggested that Schlosshauer's book is still the standard reference for this topic, but for a more comprehensive understanding, Breuer and Petruccione's book "The Theory of Open Quantum Systems" is recommended. It was also mentioned that while Schlosshauer covers the foundations, Breuer and Petruccione focuses on applications.
msumm21
TL;DR Summary
Questions on decoherence: references and a
Couple questions here.

1. What do you think is the best source to read about decoherence, both from an intuitive/high level pov, but also with mathematical details. I'd partially read a recommended paper by Schlosshauer a while back, is that still the bible for this?

2. If probabilities in quantum mechanics were themselves quantized (i.e. probabilities couldn't be any real number in [0,1] but had to be an integral multiple a some small number ##\epsilon##), would decoherence then solve the measurement problem? E.g. while interacting with "environments" potential measurement results would eventually have a probability below ##\epsilon## and hence vanish completely. All the probability would shift the single result measured. (Admittedly not sure if this makes sense--I either never got a good grasp of decoherence or I forgot it if I did.)

Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
msumm21 said:
If probabilities in quantum mechanics were themselves quantized (i.e. probabilities couldn't be any real number in [0,1] but had to be an integral multiple a some small number ##\epsilon##)
I'm not sure anyone has ever proposed a coherent model with this property. So I don't know that questions about it are actually answerable since we don't have a model to use to answer them.

Likes msumm21
msumm21 said:
Summary:: Questions on decoherence: references and a

Couple questions here.

1. What do you think is the best source to read about decoherence, both from an intuitive/high level pov, but also with mathematical details. I'd partially read a recommended paper by Schlosshauer a while back, is that still the bible for this?
Could this book be best suited for your needs?
https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783540357735

Likes msumm21, DrClaude and Demystifier
msumm21 said:
Summary:: Questions on decoherence: references and a

I'd partially read a recommended paper by Schlosshauer a while back, is that still the bible for this?
Now the bible is his book that @StevieTNZ linked above.

PeterDonis said:
I'm not sure anyone has ever proposed a coherent model with this property.
I've seen it in the many world context, as a technicality that helps to derive the Born rule.

msumm21 said:
What do you think is the best source to read about decoherence,...
To start with:
Stephen L. Adler: Why Decoherence has not Solved the Measurement Problem: A Response to P.W. Anderson
https://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0112095v3

Likes physika, msumm21, Demystifier and 1 other person
msumm21 said:
I think Schlosshauer's book is still the standard reference if one wants to learn about how decoherence is related to the quantum-to-classical transition.

Decoherence itself, however, is primarily a physical process in open quantum systems which has measureable consequences. Schlosshauer is only scratching the surface of this. A more comprehensive reference here is "The Theory of Open Quantum Systems" by Breuer and Petruccione.

Likes dextercioby and msumm21
kith said:
I think Schlosshauer's book is still the standard reference if one wants to learn about how decoherence is related to the quantum-to-classical transition.

Decoherence itself, however, is primarily a physical process in open quantum systems which has measureable consequences. Schlosshauer is only scratching the surface of this. A more comprehensive reference here is "The Theory of Open Quantum Systems" by Breuer and Petruccione.
I would put it this way: Schlosshauer is mainly for foundations, Breuer and Petruccione is mainly for applications.

Likes msumm21 and DrClaude

1. What is decoherence and how does it relate to the measurement problem?

Decoherence is a process in quantum mechanics where the wave function of a system becomes entangled with its environment, leading to the loss of coherence and the appearance of classical behavior. The measurement problem refers to the question of how a quantum system collapses into a definite state when measured. Decoherence provides a possible explanation for this collapse, as the entanglement with the environment causes the system to appear to collapse into a definite state.

2. How does decoherence affect the concept of superposition?

Decoherence causes the collapse of the wave function, resulting in the loss of superposition. As the system becomes entangled with its environment, the different possible states become "entangled" as well, making it appear as though the system has collapsed into a definite state.

3. Can decoherence be observed in experiments?

Yes, decoherence has been observed in various experiments, such as the double-slit experiment. In this experiment, the interference pattern of a particle passing through two slits disappears as the particle interacts with its environment, causing decoherence and the loss of superposition.

4. How does decoherence impact the development of quantum technologies?

Decoherence is a major challenge in the development of quantum technologies. As the loss of coherence leads to the loss of superposition and the appearance of classical behavior, it can interfere with the functioning of quantum devices. Scientists are working on ways to minimize decoherence and maintain coherence in these technologies.

5. Are there any proposed solutions to the measurement problem?

There are various proposed solutions to the measurement problem, such as the many-worlds interpretation and the Copenhagen interpretation. Some scientists also suggest that a deeper understanding of the role of consciousness in quantum mechanics may provide a solution to the measurement problem.