Decomposing a density matrix of a mixed ensemble

In summary: This is just a consequence of the Gram-Schmidt orthogonalization process. Any set of vectors can be transformed into an orthogonal set, and any linear combination of orthogonal vectors is a sum of projections onto those vectors. So by looking at the eigenvalue problem, we're just looking for a set of orthogonal eigenvectors with corresponding coefficients that add up to 1. This is a standard problem in linear algebra, and the solution is just a matter of finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix \rho.
Gabriel Maia
I'm trying to solve a problem where I am given a few matrices and asked to determine if they could be density matrices or not and if they are if they represent pure or mixed ensembles. In the case of mixed ensembles, I should find a decomposition in terms of a sum of pure ensembles. The matrix I'm having trouble with is this one

[tex] \rho = \left[\begin{array}{ccc}\frac{1}{2} & 0 & \frac{1}{4} \\ 0 & \frac{1}{4} & 0 \\ \frac{1}{4} & 0 & \frac{1}{4}\end{array}\right] [/tex]

I know it's a mixed ensemble density matrix because $Tr(\rho^2)<1$, but how can I decompose if I don't even know how big is this sum? I mean, any number of pure states may compose a mixed ensemble since they do not need to be orthogonal. How can I approach this?Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gabriel Maia said:
I'm trying to solve a problem where I am given a few matrices and asked to determine if they could be density matrices or not and if they are if they represent pure or mixed ensembles. In the case of mixed ensembles, I should find a decomposition in terms of a sum of pure ensembles. The matrix I'm having trouble with is this one

[tex] \rho = \left[\begin{array}{ccc}\frac{1}{2} & 0 & \frac{1}{4} \\ 0 & \frac{1}{4} & 0 \\ \frac{1}{4} & 0 & \frac{1}{4}\end{array}\right] [/tex]

I know it's a mixed ensemble density matrix because $Tr(\rho^2)<1$, but how can I decompose if I don't even know how big is this sum? I mean, any number of pure states may compose a mixed ensemble since they do not need to be orthogonal. How can I approach this?Thank you very much.

Is this homework? If so, it should be in the homework forum.

What you're looking for is an orthonormal basis [itex]|\psi_j\rangle[/itex] such that [itex]\rho = \sum_j p_j |\psi_j\rangle \langle \psi_j|[/itex], where the [itex]p_j[/itex] are all real, and add up to 1. Now consider the product:

[itex]\rho |\psi_k\rangle = \sum_j p_j |\psi_j\rangle \langle \psi_j | \psi_k \rangle = p_k |\psi_k\rangle[/itex]

where for the last equality, we used that the kets [itex]|\psi_j\rangle[/itex] are orthonormal, meaning that [itex]\langle \psi_j | \psi_k \rangle = \delta_{jk}[/itex]

So what that means is that the basis vector [itex]|\psi_k\rangle[/itex] and the coefficient [itex]p_k[/itex] are solvable as an eigenvalue problem:

[itex]\rho |\psi_k\rangle = p_k |\psi_k\rangle[/itex]

Do you know how to find the eigenvalues and corresponding eigenvectors of a square matrix?

Likes vanhees71
Gabriel Maia said:
I know it's a mixed ensemble density matrix because $Tr(\rho^2)<1$, but how can I decompose if I don't even know how big is this sum? I mean, any number of pure states may compose a mixed ensemble since they do not need to be orthogonal. How can I approach this?

The problem only asks you to find a sum, so any sum will do. Their purifications to a larger Hilbert space with fixed dimension will all be related by unitary matrices via the HJW theorem: https://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0305068

stevendaryl said:
Is this homework? If so, it should be in the homework forum.

What you're looking for is an orthonormal basis [itex]|\psi_j\rangle[/itex] such that [itex]\rho = \sum_j p_j |\psi_j\rangle \langle \psi_j|[/itex], where the [itex]p_j[/itex] are all real, and add up to 1. Now consider the product:

[itex]\rho |\psi_k\rangle = \sum_j p_j |\psi_j\rangle \langle \psi_j | \psi_k \rangle = p_k |\psi_k\rangle[/itex]

where for the last equality, we used that the kets [itex]|\psi_j\rangle[/itex] are orthonormal, meaning that [itex]\langle \psi_j | \psi_k \rangle = \delta_{jk}[/itex]

So what that means is that the basis vector [itex]|\psi_k\rangle[/itex] and the coefficient [itex]p_k[/itex] are solvable as an eigenvalue problem:

[itex]\rho |\psi_k\rangle = p_k |\psi_k\rangle[/itex]

Do you know how to find the eigenvalues and corresponding eigenvectors of a square matrix?

By considering that [itex] \langle \psi_j|\psi_{k} \rangle = \delta_{j\,k}[/itex] aren't we assuming that all the states that form the density matrix are orthogonal?

Gabriel Maia said:
By considering that [itex] \langle \psi_j|\psi_{k} \rangle = \delta_{j\,k}[/itex] aren't we assuming that all the states that form the density matrix are orthogonal?

Well, yes. But if there is any solution, there is a solution of that form.

1. What is a density matrix and how is it related to a mixed ensemble?

A density matrix is a mathematical representation of a quantum system that describes the state of the system, including the probabilities of all possible outcomes. It is related to a mixed ensemble, which is a collection of quantum systems in different states with different probabilities, by assigning a weight or probability to each state in the ensemble.

2. How do you decompose a density matrix of a mixed ensemble?

To decompose a density matrix of a mixed ensemble, you can use the spectral theorem. This involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the density matrix and using them to construct a diagonal matrix with the eigenvalues on the diagonal. The eigenvectors become the columns of the matrix, and the diagonal elements represent the probabilities of the corresponding eigenvector states.

3. Why is it important to decompose a density matrix of a mixed ensemble?

Decomposing a density matrix of a mixed ensemble allows us to extract important information about the quantum system, such as the probabilities of different states and the correlations between them. It also allows us to analyze and manipulate the system using techniques such as quantum state tomography and quantum error correction.

4. Can you decompose any density matrix of a mixed ensemble?

Yes, any density matrix of a mixed ensemble can be decomposed using the spectral theorem. However, the process may be more complicated for larger systems with more states, and may require more advanced mathematical techniques.

5. How does the decomposition of a density matrix of a mixed ensemble relate to quantum entanglement?

The decomposition of a density matrix of a mixed ensemble can reveal information about the entanglement between different quantum systems. Entanglement is a phenomenon where the states of two or more systems become correlated, and the decomposition of a density matrix can show the entangled states and their probabilities. This information is crucial for understanding and utilizing the power of quantum entanglement in various applications, such as quantum computing and communication.