Purification of a Density Matrix

In summary, the conversation is discussing the purification of a density matrix, specifically one expressed as $$\rho=\cos^2\theta \ket{0}\bra{0} + \frac{\sin^2\theta}{2} \left(\ket{1}\bra{1} + \ket{2}\bra{2} \right).$$ The individual is unsure of how to purify this mixed state and has consulted literature on the topic, but is still unsure of the process. They mention the concept of tracing and provide resources for further reading on the topic. They also suggest checking if the density matrix is already in a pure state before attempting purification.
Pete5876
I'm trying to find the purification of this density matrix
$$\rho=\cos^2\theta \ket{0}\bra{0} + \frac{\sin^2\theta}{2} \left(\ket{1}\bra{1} + \ket{2}\bra{2} \right)
$$

So I think the state (the purification) we're looking for is such Psi that
$$
\ket{\Psi}\bra{\Psi}=\rho
$$

But I'm not confident this is right because this would involve considering a generic state Psi, multiplying it with its bra and equating the coefficients which is too complicated to be right.

How do you "purify" a mixed state expressed as a density matrix?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a substantial body of literature on this. Have you consulted that literature and if so what conclusions have you drawn?

I did and as you pointed out there is a substantial body of literature. I'm a slow reader and an even slower learner. We don't go by any textbook at uni and I have no idea what purification might possibly entail.

After all, we're not tensor-crossing with any other space so tracing one space out of another can't even be applied. What could they possibly mean by "purification"?

First of all you should check whether ##\hat{\rho}## is a pure state to begin with. It's a pure state if and only if ##\hat{\rho}^2=\hat{\rho}##!

1. What is a density matrix?

A density matrix is a mathematical representation of a quantum system that describes the probability of finding the system in a certain state. It is a square matrix with dimensions equal to the number of possible states in the system.

2. Why is purification of a density matrix important?

Purification of a density matrix is important because it allows us to extend the concept of a density matrix to include entangled states. This is crucial for understanding and studying quantum systems that exhibit entanglement, which is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics.

3. How is a density matrix purified?

A density matrix can be purified by finding a pure state that has the same reduced density matrix as the mixed state. This can be done through a process called "purification by Schmidt decomposition," which involves decomposing the mixed state into a sum of pure states.

4. What is the physical significance of a purified density matrix?

A purified density matrix has physical significance because it represents a pure state that is equivalent to the mixed state. This allows us to study and analyze the entanglement properties of the system, which can provide important insights into its behavior and potential applications.

5. Can any density matrix be purified?

Yes, any density matrix can be purified. However, in some cases, it may not be possible to find a unique pure state that has the same reduced density matrix as the mixed state. In these cases, there may be multiple possible purifications of the density matrix.