Decomposing angular velocity and moment of inertia

In summary: Yes, that is correct. The kinetic energy is given by the following expression: $$T=\frac{1}{2} (I_1\omega_1^2+I_2\omega_2^2+I_3\omega_3^2)$$where ##I_1,I_2,I_3## are the moments of inertia of the object with respect to the three principal axes of rotation. If you consider other axis of rotations but the principals, then that expression wouldn't be valid, think that the moment of inertia is a second order tensor, and has 9 components, not three.
Wminus

Homework Statement

See the attached image.

Homework Equations

##T = 1/2 \omega^2 I##

The Attempt at a Solution

So ##I_1,I_2,I_3## are just the moments of inertia of the object with regards to the 3 axes. Right? OK, then I intuitively assume that the total kinetic energy must simply be $$T=\frac{1}{2} (I_1\omega_1^2+I_2\omega_2^2+I_3\omega_3^2)$$ since the kinetic energy around axis ##i## is just ##I_i\omega_i^2##. But I can't seem to prove it.. Can you guys help me?

Attachments

• Skjermbilde 2015-04-12 kl. 14.24.04.png
    Skjermbilde 2015-04-12 kl. 14.24.04.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 274
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show what you have done thus far?

robphy said:
Can you show what you have done thus far?
It's nothing of interest.. My thinking is that each of the ##\omega_i^2## with ##i \in \{1,2,3\}## multiplied by their moment of inertia ##I_i## will contribute to the rotational kinetic energy linearly, so you can just add them all up to get the total $$T=\frac{1}{2} (I_1\omega_1^2+I_2\omega_2^2+I_3\omega_3^2)$$. It makes intuitive sense, but I can't seem to prove it.

Yes, that's right. Thats the kinetic energy due to rotation for the principal moments of inertia. If you consider other axis of rotations but the principals, then that expression wouldn't be valid, think that the moment of inertia is a second order tensor, and has 9 components, not three. When you compute the rotational kinetic energy with respect to other moment of inertia but the principal, the expression for the rotational kinetic energy becomes quiet cumbersome. It is reduced to that simple expression when you compute it for the principal axes of inertia, the inertia tensor is diagonal in the principal axes. I think the exercise doesn't asks you to prove that formula, just to demonstrate that the kinetic energy reduces to formula (4), you just have to replace in the formula for the kinetic energy the given values for ##\omega_i##. If what you want is to proove that the kinetic energy is given by that formula, you could instead of taking a continuous body, start by thinking of a discrete (rigid) distribution of puntual masses and add the kinetic energy of rotation for all of them. And then get the expressions for the continuum. Then it will appear the expression for the moment of inertia naturally. But that formula is only valid when the moment of inertia is taken with respect to the principal axes of inertia.

Last edited:
Likes Wminus

Related to Decomposing angular velocity and moment of inertia

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how quickly an object is rotating around an axis. It is typically measured in radians per second and is represented by the Greek letter omega (ω).

2. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angle by the change in time. The formula for angular velocity is ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is the angular velocity, Δθ is the change in angle, and Δt is the change in time.

3. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotation. It is dependent on the object's mass, shape, and distribution of mass around its axis of rotation. The moment of inertia is often represented by the letter I.

4. How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia is calculated by summing the individual moments of inertia of all the particles that make up the object. The formula for moment of inertia is I = ∫r²dm, where I is the moment of inertia, r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the particle, and dm is the mass of the particle.

5. How are angular velocity and moment of inertia related?

Angular velocity and moment of inertia are directly related. As the moment of inertia increases, the angular velocity decreases, and vice versa. This is because a larger moment of inertia means there is more resistance to changes in rotation, requiring more torque to change the angular velocity.