Decomposition of linearly polarized field MRI

In summary, the B1 field in MRI, described by equations (3.48) and (3.49), can be decomposed into two circularly polarized fields by adding and subtracting the same term. This is a common trick used to introduce an additional term and explains the presence of a cosine and sine term in equation (3.49).
Jen2114

Homework Statement

Hi, I am having trouble understanding how the B1 field as described by (3.48) in the image attached in MRI which is described as a linearly polarized field is decomposed into it's final two circularly polarized field as described by (3.49) in the image attached.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that because it's 2B1 that you have one in the clockwise direction and one in the counterclockwise direction. That's why the first B1 has a negative in front of the sine term and the second doesn't. However, how do you get a cosine and sine term if in the first equation (3.48) if you only have a cosine to begin with. I know you describe a circle like the unit circle with cosine and sine but I still don't understand why a term with only cosine is expanded to cosine and sine. Clarification on how to go from 3.48 to 3.49 would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• B1.png
    B1.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 574
Physics news on Phys.org
Jen2114 said:
However, how do you get a cosine and sine term if in the first equation (3.48) if you only have a cosine to begin with.
You simply add and subtract the same term:
$$
2a = 2a + b - b = (a+b) + (a-b)
$$
This is a common trick used when you want to introduce an additional term, just like multiplying by ##b/b##.

Likes Jen2114
DrClaude said:
You simply add and subtract the same term:
$$
2a = 2a + b - b = (a+b) + (a-b)
$$
This is a common trick used when you want to introduce an additional term, just like multiplying by ##b/b##.
Thank you ! I wasn't aware of this but now that I am it makes much more sense!

1. What is the process of decomposition in linearly polarized field MRI?

The process of decomposition in linearly polarized field MRI involves separating the MRI signal into its different components based on their polarization. This allows for better understanding and visualization of the tissue properties and structures within the MRI image.

2. How does decomposition in linearly polarized field MRI help with image quality?

Decomposition in linearly polarized field MRI helps improve image quality by reducing artifacts and improving contrast between different tissues. It also allows for the identification and elimination of unwanted signals, resulting in a clearer and more accurate image.

3. What is the difference between linearly and circularly polarized MRI?

In linearly polarized MRI, the MRI signal is separated into two components: longitudinal and transverse. In circularly polarized MRI, the signal is separated into three components: longitudinal, transverse, and circular. This allows for a more comprehensive analysis of tissue properties and structures.

4. What are the applications of decomposition in linearly polarized field MRI?

Decomposition in linearly polarized field MRI has a wide range of applications, including tissue characterization, tumor detection and grading, and functional MRI. It can also aid in the diagnosis and treatment planning of various medical conditions, such as brain tumors and cardiovascular diseases.

5. Are there any limitations to decomposition in linearly polarized field MRI?

Decomposition in linearly polarized field MRI has some limitations, such as the need for specialized equipment and expertise. It also requires longer scan times, which can be a challenge for patients who have difficulty staying still. Additionally, the accuracy of the decomposition results can be affected by motion artifacts and magnetic field inhomogeneities.