Defining Reality: A Scientific Approach to Truth, Knowledge, and Consciousness

• Thread starter Paul Martin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beginning
In summary: I can produce something that is consistent with what we do in mathematics. I'll start with 'statement' and 'assertion' and see where that takes me."Truth - An attribute of a proposition if and only if the assertion made by the proposition is consistent with reality." This could have serious problems. You make truth dependent on language here. This means either you're speaking of existing languages only, or you're speaking of languages in abstract, as per your definition (as an algorithm...). If there's something in space that no language-speaking being has seen, then by interpretation 1 of your definition, there's no truth corresponding to facts about that thing in space, although there should be. On the second interpretation,
Tournesol said:
Doesn't work. Metaphorical perspective (subjective bias)
is not a necessary entailment of literal
perspective (geometry).
I never said it was. I said
moving finger said:
inaccessible from any other (literal or metaphorical) perspective
If I claimed that "A is neither B nor C", does that imply I am claiming that B entails C, or that C entails B? No, I don't think so.

Tournesol said:
It may not be possible as a matter of fact,
but it is entailed by physicalism in
the sense that Chalmers uses the word, so his
claim that there is a HP is entirely consistent.
That must be some kind of "private meaning" of physicalism then. Physicalism is simply the thesis that everything supervenes on the physical, this thesis does not entail that all properties of the world are accessible from all perspectives.

It is only because some people seem to believe that all properties of the world must be accessible from all perspectives (which is in fact not entailed by physicalism) that they then create the HP for themselves (ie qualia are then mysterious and inexplicable). Accept the truth that not all properties of the world are accessible from all perspectives and the HP doesn't exist (ie qualia are trivially explained as 1st person perspective properties of the world) - and all still consistent with physicalism.

Best Regards

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you all that participated, but the thread has been allowed to remain open too long. Paul's "personal theory" claims fall outside the bounds of what is allowed here.