Defining the Direct Sum of Subspaces: Can It Be Defined When k=1?

In summary, the conversation discusses two different definitions of the direct sum of subspaces in linear algebra. The first definition, from Friedberg's book, has a technical error when k=1, but can be fixed by assuming that the sum of subspaces is equal to zero when there is only one subspace. The second definition, from Hoffman's book, can be interpreted logically and is vacuously true when k=1. The conversation concludes that the direct sum can be defined even when k=1 and there are no mistakes in the reasoning suggested. The importance of carefully checking definitions is also emphasized.
gotjrgkr

Homework Statement

Hi, everybody!
I'd like to ask you about the direct sum of subspaces...
I refer to two linear algebra books; 1)Friedberg's book, 2)Hoffman's book.
First of all, I write two definitions of direct sum of subspaces...
in the book 1),
Def.1). Let W[itex]_{1}[/itex],...,W[itex]_{k}[/itex] be subspaces of a vector space V. We call V the direct sum of the subspaces W[itex]_{1}[/itex],...,W[itex]_{k}[/itex]
and write V=W[itex]_{1}[/itex][itex]\oplus[/itex]...[itex]\oplus[/itex]W[itex]_{k}[/itex], if
V = [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{k}_{i=1}[/itex]W[itex]_{i}[/itex] and
W[itex]_{j}[/itex][itex]\cap[/itex][itex]\sum[/itex][itex]_{i\neq j}[/itex]W[itex]_{i}[/itex]={0} for each j(1[itex]\leq[/itex]j[itex]\leq[/itex]k);I intepret this condition by logical form as follows;[itex]\forall[/itex]j(1[itex]\leq[/itex]j[itex]\leq[/itex]k and j is an integer [itex]\rightarrow[/itex]W[itex]_{j}[/itex][itex]\cap[/itex][itex]\sum[/itex][itex]_{i\neqj}[/itex]W[itex]_{i}[/itex]={0}).

In the book 2),
Def.2). Let W[itex]_{1}[/itex],...,W[itex]_{k}[/itex] be subspaces of a finite-dimensional vector space V. We call V the direct sum of the subspaces W[itex]_{1}[/itex],...,W[itex]_{k}[/itex]
and write V=W[itex]_{1}[/itex][itex]\oplus[/itex]...[itex]\oplus[/itex]W[itex]_{k}[/itex],
if V = [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{k}_{i=1}[/itex]W[itex]_{i}[/itex] and the subspaces have
the property such that for each j, 2[itex]\leq[/itex]j[itex]\leq[/itex]k, we have W[itex]_{j}[/itex][itex]\cap[/itex](W[itex]_{1}[/itex]+...+W[itex]_{j-1}[/itex])={0};I interpret this condition by logical form as follows; [itex]\forall[/itex]j(2[itex]\leq[/itex]j[itex]\leq[/itex]k and j is an integer [itex]\rightarrow[/itex]W[itex]_{j}[/itex][itex]\cap[/itex](W[itex]_{1}[/itex]+...+W[itex]_{j-1}[/itex])={0}).

Now, as you can see, in Def.1), since [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]_{i\neqj}[/itex]W[itex]_{i}[/itex] does not exist when k=1, I cannot determine whether direct sum of subspaces is defined or not when k=1.
On the other hand, in the second definition; that is, Def.2), from the logical form, I can see that it is vacuously true when k=1. So, in this case, I can say V is a direct sum of its subspace V=W[itex]_{1}[/itex]. I think this means that direct sum of subspaces can be defined even when k=1.
How do you think about Def.1)? Do you think that there're some mistakes in the reasoning I've suggested above?
To sum up, I want to ask you if 1. direct sum can be defined even when k=1
2. if so, where do I make such mistakes??

I hope you help me solve this problem...
Thank you for reading my long questions...
Have a nice day!

(If you want to have more specific information of definitions of them, refer to p. 275 in 1) and p. 219~220 in 2).)

Homework Equations

Red lines above indicate
i [itex]\neq[/itex] j

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're correct that the first definition doesn't make sense for k = 1 as written. It would make sense if you make the further (reasonable) assumption that

[tex]\sum_{i \neq j} W_i = \{0\}[/tex]

when there are no [itex]i \neq j[/itex]. Under this assumption, the second condition is vacuously true when k = 1.

To answer your questions,

1. Yes, the direct sum is defined even when k = 1, but in that case it simply reduces to [itex]V = W_1[/itex], which isn't very interesting. If k= 1, you don't need the second part of either definition because there is only one subspace under consideration.

2. You didn't make a mistake. You noticed a technical error in the first definition, which means you were reading carefully. It's good to check whether definitions make sense in all cases. Unfortunately, it's not uncommon for authors to be a bit sloppy in ways similar to this.

Last edited:
jbunniii said:
You're correct that the first definition doesn't make sense for k = 1 as written. It would make sense if you make the further (reasonable) assumption that

[tex]\sum_{i \neq j} W_i = \{0\}[/tex]

when there are no [itex]i \neq j[/itex]. Under this assumption, the second condition is vacuously true when k = 1.

To answer your questions,

1. Yes, the direct sum is defined even when k = 1, but in that case it simply reduces to [itex]V = W_1[/itex], which isn't very interesting. If k= 1, you don't need the second part of either definition because there is only one subspace under consideration.

2. You didn't make a mistake. You noticed a technical error in the first definition, which means you were reading carefully. It's good to check whether definitions make sense in all cases. Unfortunately, it's not uncommon for authors to be a bit sloppy in ways similar to this.

I really appretiate you for replying question.
That's what I want to hear from you as the answer for my questions.
Thanks again!

Related to Defining the Direct Sum of Subspaces: Can It Be Defined When k=1?

1. What is the definition of the direct sum of subspaces?

The direct sum of subspaces is a mathematical concept that represents the combination of two or more subspaces to form a new subspace that encompasses all of the original subspaces. It is denoted by the symbol ⊕ and can be thought of as the "sum" of the subspaces, but with additional restrictions.

2. How is the direct sum of subspaces calculated?

The direct sum of subspaces is calculated by adding the individual subspaces together and then removing any redundant elements. This means that for two subspaces A and B, the direct sum A ⊕ B will only contain elements that are unique to A or B, but not both.

3. What is the difference between the direct sum and the direct product of subspaces?

The direct sum and the direct product of subspaces are similar concepts, but they have some key differences. While the direct sum combines subspaces to form a new subspace, the direct product combines subspaces to form a new set. Additionally, the direct sum only contains unique elements, while the direct product contains all possible combinations of elements from the original subspaces.

4. What are the properties of the direct sum of subspaces?

The direct sum of subspaces has several important properties, including associativity, commutativity, and distributivity. The direct sum is also closed under addition, meaning that the result of adding two subspaces will always be another subspace. It is also possible to decompose a subspace into a direct sum of smaller subspaces.

5. How is the direct sum of subspaces used in practical applications?

The direct sum of subspaces has many applications in various fields of mathematics and science. For example, in linear algebra, it is used to represent the combination of vector spaces. It is also used in coding theory, where it is used to construct error-correcting codes. In physics, the direct sum of subspaces is used to represent the combination of different states in quantum mechanics.