Defining velocity as a function of distance

In summary: I know that in terms of time velocity is v(t) = (mg/b)(1 - e^((-b/m)t)).Okay, once you've fixed your integral, look at what Ray said in post #6. Is this a question you made up...or is there a more general answer?I made it up.In summary, Ray suggests that you integrate the equation from 0 to t to find k(x).
Marcell

Homework Statement

The equation is given:

v = f(t) = (mg/b)(1 - e^((-b/m)t))

Where v is velocity, m is mass, g is 9.81 and b is a constant of proportionality

I need to find the function k(x), where x is distance from said body's initial position.

2. The attempt at a solution

v = f(t) = dx/dt
dx = f(t)dt
x = F(t)

and here I got stuck :/

Physics news on Phys.org
Marcell said:

Homework Statement

The equation is given:

Where v is velocity, m is mass, g is 9.81 and b is a constant of proportionality

I need to find the function k(x), where x is distance from said body's initial position.

v = f(t) = dx/dt
dx = f(t)dt
x = F(t)

Do you know how to integrate?

PeroK said:
Do you know how to integrate?

I like to think so, but you're making me uncertain.

Marcell said:
I like to think so.
So integrate:
Marcell said:
dx = f(t)dt

Likes PeroK
Marcell said:

Homework Statement

The equation is given:

I assume that the k(x) you are finding is a function giving velocity as a function of x, the distance from said body's initial position.

Is that correct?

Marcell said:

Homework Statement

The equation is given:

v = f(t) = dx/dt
dx = f(t)dt
x = F(t)

If you follow the suggestion in #4 you will obtain a formula of the form ##x(t) = F(t)## for some computable function ##F(t)##. Then, if the question really is to determine ##v## as a function of ##x##, you need to solve ##F(t) =x## to find ##t## in terms of ##x##----say ##t = T(x).## Then substitute that formula for ##t## into the ##v(t)## equation, to get ##v## as a function of ##x##. That will be your ##k(x)## function.

However, if the problem is exactly as you have stated it, the solution will involve the non-elementary "Lambert W function."

SammyS said:
I assume that the k(x) you are finding is a function giving velocity as a function of x, the distance from said body's initial position.

Is that correct?
Yes!

Ray Vickson said:
If you follow the suggestion in #4 you will obtain a formula of the form ##x(t) = F(t)## for some computable function ##F(t)##. Then, if the question really is to determine ##v## as a function of ##x##, you need to solve ##F(t) =x## to find ##t## in terms of ##x##----say ##t = T(x).## Then substitute that formula for ##t## into the ##v(t)## equation, to get ##v## as a function of ##x##. That will be your ##k(x)## function.

However, if the problem is exactly as you have stated it, the solution will involve the non-elementary "Lambert W function."

Am I supposed to integrate from 0 to t? or just do an infinite integral?

Thanks for all your help~!

Marcell said:
Yes!
Am I supposed to integrate from 0 to t? or just do an infinite integral?

Thanks for all your help~!

Displacement is the (signed) area under a velocity-time graph.

In general, most integrals in physics are definite, as they represent physical quantities.

PeroK said:
Displacement is the (signed) area under a velocity-time graph.

In general, most integrals in physics are definite, as they represent physical quantities.
Ok I see.

I integrated the equation from 0 to t and got:

$$\dfrac{gm\mathrm{e}^{-\frac{bt}{m}}\left(\left(bt-m\right)\mathrm{e}^\frac{bt}{m}+m\right)}{b^2}$$

So now I 'just' need to solve for t and substitute it back into the original equation to get k(x)?

Marcell said:
Ok I see.

$$\dfrac{gm\mathrm{e}^{-\frac{bt}{m}}\left(\left(bt-m\right)\mathrm{e}^\frac{bt}{m}+m\right)}{b^2}$$

So now I 'just' need to solve for t and substitute it back into the original equation to get k(x)?

That doesn't look right. What is ##k(x)##?

PeroK said:
That doesn't look right. What is ##k(x)##?
k(x) is velocity in terms of distance from the initial position.

I know that in terms of time velocity is v(t) = (mg/b)(1 - e^((-b/m)t)).

Marcell said:
k(x) is velocity in terms of distance from the initial position.

I know that in terms of time velocity is v(t) = (mg/b)(1 - e^((-b/m)t)).

Okay, once you've fixed your integral, look at what Ray said in post #6. Is this a question you made up yourself?

PeroK said:
Okay, once you've fixed your integral, look at what Ray said in post #6. Is this a question you made up yourself?

More or less yeah.

What is wrong my integral? I used https://www.integral-calculator.com/ to get it...

Also, if its not too much to ask, could I please get some more guidance on the whole Lambert W function?

There is another approach. Following it will give x as a function of v, but it has the same issue as described by Ray in post (#6).

It goes like this:

Using the chain rule express the acceleration ##\ a\ ## as:

##\displaystyle \frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{dv}{dx} \, \frac{dx}{dt} ##

##\displaystyle = v\, \frac{dv}{dx} \ \quad ## because ##\ \displaystyle \frac{dx}{dt}= v ##​

So we have: ##\displaystyle \ a = v \, \frac{dv}{dx} \, . ##

With acceleration as a function of ##\ t\,, ## this would not be of much use. However, as it turns out, differentiating the velocity ( given as a function of ##\ t \ ## by the function ##\ f(t)\ ## ) gives a result for acceleration, which together with the expression for velocity can be manipulated to give acceleration in terms of velocity together with some constants. To be specific, one obtains the following.

##\displaystyle a = g - \frac{b}{m} v \quad \quad ## ( a familiar looking result )​

So far my few attempts obtaining an expression for position ##\ x\ ## in terms of velocity ##\ v\ ## have given me results which appear to me have inconsistencies. However, the form of the results tend to confirm that the velocity function in the form of ##\ k(x) \ ## does involve the Lambert W function.

Marcell said:
Ok I see.

That does look like it's correct. Let's rewrite it a bit.

##\displaystyle x= \left(\frac{gm}{b^2}\right) \mathrm{e}^{-(b/m)t}\left(\left(bt-m\right)\mathrm{e}^{(b/m)t}+m\right) \ ##​

Those exponentials cancel for the most part. Multiply through by the common factors and simplify. I suppose we should call this ##\ F(t)\ ##, where ##\ F'(t) = f(t)\ ##.

##\displaystyle F(t)= \left(\frac{mg}{b}\right)t-\left(\frac{m^2g}{b^2}\right)+\left(\frac{m^2g}{b^2}\right)\mathrm{e}^{-(b/m)t} \ ##​
You will not be able to solve this for ##\ t\ ## using elementary functions. However, you can sovle the given velocity expression (Post #1) for ##\ t \ ## and plug that into this expression to get ## \ x\ ## in terms of ##\ v\ ##. That's also not invertable using elementary functions.

Last edited:
Likes PeroK

Related to Defining velocity as a function of distance

1. What is velocity as a function of distance?

Velocity as a function of distance is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between an object's velocity and the distance it travels. It is a way to express how an object's velocity changes as it moves a certain distance.

2. How is velocity as a function of distance calculated?

Velocity as a function of distance is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in distance. This can also be represented as the derivative of the distance function. In other words, it is the rate of change of distance with respect to time.

3. What is the difference between velocity as a function of distance and average velocity?

Velocity as a function of distance takes into account the changes in velocity over a specific distance, while average velocity only considers the overall change in velocity over a given time period. Velocity as a function of distance provides a more detailed and accurate representation of an object's movement.

4. Can velocity as a function of distance be negative?

Yes, velocity as a function of distance can be negative. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of its initial motion. For example, if a car is moving forward and then begins to move backward, its velocity as a function of distance would be negative.

5. How is velocity as a function of distance used in real-world applications?

Velocity as a function of distance is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and sports. It is commonly used to analyze and predict the motion of objects, such as the trajectory of a projectile or the speed of a moving vehicle. It is also used in designing and optimizing systems that involve movement, such as roller coasters or race cars.