Definite Integral of a Rational Function

In summary, the definite integral of a rational function is a tool used to find the area under the curve of a function between two specified points on the x-axis. It is calculated by finding the antiderivative of the function and plugging in the upper and lower limits of integration. The definite integral is the sum of all the infinitesimal areas under the curve and is used in real-world scenarios such as physics, chemistry, economics, and probability and statistics. The properties of definite integrals of rational functions include linearity and the power rule.
Euge
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Evaluate the definite integral $$\int_0^\infty \frac{x^2 + 1}{x^4 + 1}\, dx$$

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]z^4=-1[/tex] has the solutions
[tex]z=e^{i\pi/4},e^{i3\pi/4},e^{-i3\pi/4},e^{-i\pi/4}[/tex]
[tex]\int_0^\infty \frac{x^2+1}{x^4+1}dx=\frac{1}{2}\int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{x^2+1}{x^4+1}dx[/tex]
by complex integral along the real axis and upper semicircle contour
[tex]=i\pi [\ Res (\frac{z^2+1}{z^4+1},e^{i\pi/4})+ \ Res (\frac{z^2+1}{z^4+1},e^{i3\pi/4})]=\frac{\pi}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

Another approach:
transforming x by
[tex]x=\tan\theta[/tex]
The integral is
[tex]\int_0^\pi \frac{d\phi}{1+\cos^2 \phi}=\sum_{n=0}^\infty (-1)^n \int_0^\pi \cos^{2n}\phi d\phi=\pi \sum_{n=0}^\infty (-1)^n \frac{(2n-1)!!}{(2n)!!}[/tex]
where
[tex]\phi=2\theta[/tex]
The series converges slowly. The sum from n=0 upto 50,000 gives the estimation between 0.7058
and 0.7083 for the expected ##1/\sqrt{2}##=0.70710...

Or not in series,
[tex]\int_0^\pi \frac{d\phi}{1+\cos^2 \phi}=2\int_0^\infty \frac{dt}{2+t^2}=\sqrt{2}[\arctan \ s]^\infty_0=\frac{\pi}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]
where
[tex]t=\tan \phi[/tex]
[tex]s=\frac{t}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:
Another approach:
transforming x by
[tex]x=\tan\theta[/tex]
The integral is
[tex]\int_0^\pi \frac{d\phi}{1+\cos^2 \phi}=\sum_{n=0}^\infty (-1)^n \int_0^\pi \cos^{2n}\phi d\phi=\pi \sum_{n=0}^\infty (-1)^n \frac{(2n-1)!!}{(2n)!!}[/tex]
where
[tex]\phi=2\theta[/tex]
The series converges slowly. The sum from n=0 upto 50,000 gives the estimation between 0.7058
and 0.7083 for the expected ##1/\sqrt{2}##=0.70710...
Using ##(2n)!! = 2n (2n-2) \cdots 2 = 2^n n!##,

\begin{align*}
\sum_{n=0}^\infty (-1)^n \frac{(2n-1)!!}{(2n)!!} = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{(-1)^n}{n!} \frac{(2n-1)!!}{2^n}
\end{align*}

We have

\begin{align*}
\frac{1}{\sqrt{x+1}} = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{(-1)^n}{n!} \frac{(2n-1)!!}{2^n} x^n
\end{align*}

So that

\begin{align*}
\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{(-1)^n}{n!} \frac{(2n-1)!!}{2^n} .
\end{align*}

Last edited:
Likes anuttarasammyak
I think you can do it in the first quadrant as the limit as [itex]R \to \infty[/itex] of [tex]
\oint_C \frac{1 + z^2}{1 + z^4}\,dz = \underbrace{\int_0^R \frac{1 + x^2}{1 + x^4}\,dx}_{\mbox{real}} - i \underbrace{\int_0^R \frac{1 - y^2}{1 + y^4}\,dy}_{\mbox{real}} + \underbrace{\int_0^{\pi/2} \frac{1 + R^2e^{2it}}{1 + R^4e^{4it}}iRe^{it}\,dt}_{=O(R^{-1})}[/tex] which reduces to [tex]
\DeclareMathOperator*{\Res}{\operatorname{Res}}
\int_0^\infty \frac{1 + x^2}{1 + x^4}\,dx = \operatorname{Re} \left(2\pi i \Res\limits_{z = e^{i\pi/4}} \frac{1 + z^2}{1 + z^4}\right).[/tex]

Method #1

Using ##u = x^4##,

\begin{align*}
\int_0^\infty \dfrac{x^2+1}{x^4+1} dx = \frac{1}{4} \int_0^\infty \dfrac{u^{-1/4}+u^{-3/4}}{u+1} du \qquad (*)
\end{align*}

Here:

www.physicsforums.com/threads/exponential-type-integrals.1046843/

in post #12 I proved that, if ##0< a < 1##, then

$$
\int_0^\infty \frac{u^{a-1}}{1+u} du = \frac{\pi}{\sin a \pi}
$$

Using this in ##(*)##, we have

\begin{align*}
\int_0^\infty \dfrac{x^2+1}{x^4+1} dx & = \frac{\pi}{4} \left( \frac{1}{\sin 3 \pi / 4} + \frac{1}{\sin \pi / 4} \right)
\nonumber \\
& = \frac{\pi}{\sqrt{2}}
\end{align*}Method #2:

\begin{align*}
\int_0^\infty \dfrac{x^2 + 1}{x^4 + 1} dx & = \int_0^\infty \dfrac{1 + \dfrac{1}{x^2}}{x^2 + \dfrac{1}{x^2}} dx
\nonumber \\
& = \int_0^\infty \dfrac{1 + \dfrac{1}{x^2}}{\left( x - \dfrac{1}{x} \right)^2 + 2} dx
\nonumber \\
& = \int_0^\infty \dfrac{d \left( x - \dfrac{1}{x} \right)}{\left( x - \dfrac{1}{x} \right)^2 + 2}
\nonumber \\
& = \int_{-\infty}^\infty \dfrac{d u}{u^2 + 2}
\nonumber \\
& = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \int_{-\infty}^\infty \dfrac{d u}{u^2 + 1}
\nonumber \\
& = \frac{\pi}{\sqrt{2}} .
\end{align*}Method #3

\begin{align*}
\int_0^\infty \dfrac{x^2 + 1}{x^4 + 1} d x & = \frac{1}{2} \int_0^\infty \frac{1}{x^2 - \sqrt{2} x + 1} dx + \frac{1}{2} \int_0^\infty \frac{1}{x^2 + \sqrt{2} x + 1} dx
\nonumber \\
& = \frac{1}{2} \int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{1}{x^2 - \sqrt{2} x + 1} dx
\nonumber \\
& = \frac{1}{2} \int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{1}{\left( x - \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \right)^2 + \frac{1}{2}} dx
\end{align*}

Using ##u = x - \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}##, the above becomes

\begin{align*}
\int_0^\infty \dfrac{x^2 + 1}{x^4 + 1} d x & = \int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{1}{2 u^2 + 1} du
\nonumber \\
& = \frac{\pi}{\sqrt{2}} .
\end{align*}

Likes dextercioby
julian said:
Method #1

Using ##u = x^4##,

\begin{align*}
\int_0^\infty \dfrac{x^2+1}{x^4+1} dx = \frac{1}{4} \int_0^\infty \dfrac{u^{-1/4}+u^{-3/4}}{u+1} du \qquad (*)
\end{align*}

Here:

www.physicsforums.com/threads/exponential-type-integrals.1046843/

in post #12 I proved that, if ##0< a < 1##, then

$$
\int_0^\infty \frac{u^{a-1}}{1+u} du = \frac{\pi}{\sin a \pi}
$$

Using this in ##(*)##, we have

\begin{align*}
\int_0^\infty \dfrac{x^2+1}{x^4+1} dx & = \frac{\pi}{4} \left( \frac{1}{\sin 3 \pi / 4} + \frac{1}{\sin \pi / 4} \right)
\nonumber \\
& = \frac{\pi}{\sqrt{2}}
\end{align*}

In method #1, doing the contour integration directly also gets the value of [tex]
\int_0^\infty \frac{1 - x^2}{1 + x^4}\,dx.[/tex]

Placing a branch cut along the positive real axis so that [itex]0 \leq \arg z < 2\pi[/itex], we can calculate [tex]
\frac14\oint_C \frac{z^{-3/4} + z^{-1/4}}{1 + z}\,dz = \frac{\pi i}2 \left( e^{-\frac34 \pi i} + e^{-\frac14 \pi i} \right) = \frac{\pi}{\sqrt 2}[/tex] where [itex]C[/itex] conists of the positive real axis ([itex]\arg z = 0[/itex]), a large circle of radius [itex]R[/itex] about the origin, the positive real axis ([itex]\arg z \to 2\pi^{-}[/itex]) and a small circle of radius [itex]\epsilon[/itex] about the origin. In the limit [itex]R \to \infty[/itex] and [itex]\epsilon \to 0[/itex] the contributions from the circles vanish and we are left with [tex]\begin{split}
\frac14 \oint_C \frac{z^{-3/4} + z^{-1/4}}{1 + z}\,dz &=
\frac14\int_0^\infty \frac{u^{-3/4} + u^{-1/4}}{1 + u}\,du - \frac i4\int_0^\infty \frac{u^{-3/4} - u^{-1/4}}{1 + u}\,du \\
&= \int_0^\infty \frac{1 + x^2}{1 + x^4}\,dx - i \int_0^\infty \frac{1 - x^2}{1 + x^4}\,dx. \end{split}
[/tex] Taking real and imaginary parts gives the results.

pasmith said:
In method #1, doing the contour integration directly also gets the value of [tex]
\int_0^\infty \frac{1 - x^2}{1 + x^4}\,dx.[/tex]
Yes, you get out the additional result:

\begin{align*}
\int_0^\infty \frac{1-x^2}{1+x^4} dx = 0
\end{align*}

You can see this also by doing ##y=1/x## in the following integral:

\begin{align*}
\int_0^\infty \frac{1}{1+x^4} dx = \int_0^\infty \frac{y^2}{1+y^4} dy
\end{align*}

1. What is the definition of a definite integral of a rational function?

A definite integral of a rational function is a mathematical concept that represents the area under the curve of the function between two given points on the x-axis. It is denoted by ∫ab f(x) dx, where a and b are the lower and upper limits of integration, and f(x) is the rational function.

2. How is the definite integral of a rational function calculated?

The definite integral of a rational function can be calculated using the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the integral of a function can be found by evaluating its antiderivative at the upper and lower limits of integration and taking the difference between the two values. In the case of a rational function, the antiderivative can be found by using integration techniques such as substitution or partial fractions.

3. What are the properties of the definite integral of a rational function?

The definite integral of a rational function has several properties, including linearity, meaning that the integral of a sum of rational functions is equal to the sum of their individual integrals. It also follows the property of the definite integral of a constant, which states that the integral of a constant multiplied by a function is equal to the constant multiplied by the integral of the function. Additionally, the definite integral of a rational function is affected by the choice of limits of integration, with different limits resulting in different values for the integral.

4. How is the definite integral of a rational function used in real-world applications?

The definite integral of a rational function has many real-world applications, including calculating the area under a curve in physics and engineering problems. It is also used in economics to calculate the total profit or loss of a business over a certain period of time. In statistics, the definite integral of a rational function is used to find the probability of a continuous random variable falling within a certain range of values.

5. Are there any limitations or restrictions when calculating the definite integral of a rational function?

Yes, there are some limitations and restrictions when calculating the definite integral of a rational function. For example, if the function has a vertical asymptote within the limits of integration, the integral will not exist. Similarly, if the function has a discontinuity within the limits of integration, the integral will also not exist. Additionally, some rational functions may be too complex to integrate using traditional techniques, requiring the use of numerical methods such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule.