Integration Over a Line in the Complex Plane

In summary, integration over a line in the complex plane is a mathematical technique that calculates the integral of a complex-valued function along a given line. It differs from regular integration by considering the complex nature of the numbers involved and has many important applications in mathematics and physics. Some techniques used in this type of integration include the Cauchy integral theorem, the Cauchy integral formula, and the residue theorem.
Euge
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
For ##c > 0## and ##0 \le x \le 1##, find the complex integral $$\int_{c - \infty i}^{c + \infty i} \frac{x^s}{s}\, ds$$

Likes Greg Bernhardt and topsquark
Physics news on Phys.org
Putting s=c+iu, The integral is
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\frac {e^{(c+ui)\ln x}} { c+ui } i du[/tex]
[tex]=e^{c\ln x}\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\frac{e^{ui\ln x}}{u-ic}du[/tex]
Applying residue theorem for complex integral of u
[tex]=0[/tex]

Last edited:
Set [itex]x = e^{t}[/itex]. Then we have [tex]
\int_{c-i\infty}^{c+i\infty} \frac{x^s}{s}\,ds =
\int_{c-i\infty}^{c+i\infty} \frac{e^{st}}{s}\,ds = f(t).[/tex] But comparison to the inverse Laplace transform of [itex]1/s[/itex] shows that [tex]
f(t) = 2\pi i U(t)[/tex] and since [itex]t = \ln x \leq 0[/itex] we have [itex]f(t) = 0[/itex].

Likes topsquark
Thanks for participating! However, the solutions are incorrect. One has to take more care when integrating over a complex line.

• Wow
Likes topsquark
Note: For at least one value of ##x## the line integral is nonzero.

Likes topsquark
Well, I get the same result. I expect there is a misprint in the problem statement or I too have made a sign error.

Make the change of variables ##s = c + iz## which makes the integration path the real ##z## axis.

$$\frac{x^s}{s}ds = i\frac{e^{(c+iz)\ln{x}}}{c+iz}dz = x^{c} \frac{e^{i(\ln{x})z}}{z-ic}dz$$

This puts the pole in ##z## at ##ic## which is in the upper complex plane. Normally in problems like these one closes the contour with a large semi-circle which encloses the pole. Clearly ##\ln{x} < 0## which means

$$e^{i(\ln{x})z}$$

grows without bound as the imaginary part of ##z## becomes large. This forces us to close the contour in the negative imaginary direction excluding the pole. Like both the other contributors, I get 0 for the value when ##0\le x < 1##.

Euge said:
Hi @Paul Colby, you missed the ##x = 1## case! :smile:
I excluded it intensionally.

[edit] Actually, this brings up a somewhat philosophical issue. In physics (at least the stuff I've done) one deals with analytic functions. By all rights, the above continues to 0 everywhere in the complex plane. The set of measure 0 stuff, again from the point of view of doing physics, isn't all that interesting. Now, you say, hold on one minute. The step function (like from the Laplace transform approach), is certainly of interest in physical problems. And, you'd be right. But the Gibbs phenomena stuff, eh, not so much.

Last edited:
Likes Euge
If ##x = 1##, then the integral is $$\lim_{R\to \infty} \int_{c - Ri}^{c + Ri} \frac{ds}{s} = \lim_{R\to \infty} \int_{-R}^R \frac{i\, dt}{c + it} = \lim_{R\to \infty} \int_{-R}^R \frac{t + ci}{c^2 + t^2}\, dt = \lim_{R\to \infty} i\int_{-R}^R \frac{dt}{c^2 + t^2}$$which evaluates to $$\lim_{R\to \infty} 2i \arctan\left(\frac{R}{c}\right) = \pi i$$

Likes anuttarasammyak and topsquark

1. What is integration over a line in the complex plane?

Integration over a line in the complex plane is a mathematical process of finding the area under a curve along a specific path in the complex plane. It involves calculating the integral of a complex-valued function along a line segment.

2. What is the purpose of integration over a line in the complex plane?

The purpose of integration over a line in the complex plane is to solve complex-valued integrals, which cannot be solved using traditional methods. It allows us to find the area under a curve in the complex plane, which has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.

3. How is integration over a line in the complex plane different from integration in the real plane?

Integration over a line in the complex plane differs from integration in the real plane in that it involves calculating the integral along a specific path instead of over a region. This path can be a straight line, a curve, or a combination of both. Additionally, the integrand in the complex plane is a complex-valued function, while in the real plane it is a real-valued function.

4. What are some common techniques for performing integration over a line in the complex plane?

Some common techniques for integration over a line in the complex plane include the method of residues, contour integration, and Cauchy's integral theorem. These methods use properties of complex functions, such as analyticity and Cauchy-Riemann equations, to evaluate the integral along a given path.

5. What are some real-world applications of integration over a line in the complex plane?

Integration over a line in the complex plane has many real-world applications, including in electrical engineering, signal processing, and quantum mechanics. It is used to calculate the electric field around a charged wire, analyze the frequency response of a system, and solve Schrödinger's equation in quantum mechanics, among others.