Definition of isolation and pulse response time for a 3-way power splitter

In summary: How can I calculate power imbalance off 0.05dB from 16dB of isolation. Does table exist??There is no standard dB isolation table, but you can calculate the power imbalance off 0.05dB using a simple equation.
Jiho
I will use 3 way power splitter and power detector.
upload_2019-1-14_12-31-36.png

1. This is power splitter data sheet. In this data sheet, there are different isolation values. What does it mean?? Also in that point, I wonder definition of isolation at power splitter.
upload_2019-1-14_12-37-5.png

2. This is power detector data sheet. In this data sheet, Each pulse response rise/fall time are 400/10 or 800/400. What is difference between 400/10 and 800/400? What does it mean?

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-14_12-31-36.png
    upload_2019-1-14_12-31-36.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 745
  • upload_2019-1-14_12-37-5.png
    upload_2019-1-14_12-37-5.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 512
Physics news on Phys.org
Regarding isolation, isolation is defined between each pair of output ports. It may matter if you have significant reflection at outputs - in this case imbalance of isolation is converted into imbalance of transmission.
Regarding pulse response, listed time is the 10%-90% transition time at output if rising or falling step input is applied. Fast response on falling edge likely indicate circuit difference (no pmos or zero-recovery diodes) - may be at cost of higher power dissipation.

Likes Jiho
Thank you for your answer. But I have three questions.

1.What does isolation 1-2 in the data sheet? I can't catch meaning of number(1-2).
2.What happen if isolation becomes higher or lower??
3.Does fast response on falling edge mean small number of fall time? If I want to get low power dissipation, then 800/400 is better than 400/10??

Jiho said:
Thank you for your answer. But I have three questions.

1.What does isolation 1-2 in the data sheet? I can't catch meaning of number(1-2).
1-2 mean isolation between output ports 1 and 2
Jiho said:
2.What happen if isolation becomes higher or lower??
higher isolation mean better power balance. 16dB isolatiom realistically mean about 0.05dB power imbalance off the specs at worst -10dB output reflection
Jiho said:
3.Does fast response on falling edge mean small number of fall time? If I want to get low power dissipation, then 800/400 is better than 400/10??
yes, fall time at output is faster in 400/10 device
yes, 800/400 likely mean device with lower power dissipation

Likes Jiho
Thank you. I absolutely understand about pulse response time. But I still have two question.

1.What does isolation between output ports 1 and 2 mean? Is ratio of isolation between port 1 and port 2? Would you kindly explain me isolation 1-2?? I know isolation mean -10log(Pout/Pin). But I confuse what 'isolation 1-2' means. What are output power and input power at 'isolation 1-2'??

2.How can I calculate power imbalance off 0.05dB from 16dB of isolation. Does table exist??

Jiho said:
Thank you. I absolutely understand about pulse response time. But I still have two question.

1.What does isolation between output ports 1 and 2 mean? Is ratio of isolation between port 1 and port 2? Would you kindly explain me isolation 1-2?? I know isolation mean -10log(Pout/Pin). But I confuse what 'isolation 1-2' means. What are output power and input power at 'isolation 1-2'??

2.How can I calculate power imbalance off 0.05dB from 16dB of isolation. Does table exist??
Isolation 1-2 is the power of input 2 needed to produce 0 dBm power at output 1
Regarding reflection to imbalance calculation, it is not on standard tables. No short explanation here, you need to understand the conversion of logarithmic (dB) scale.
In linear scale
imbalance=(delta(loss)+delta(isolation)*delta(reflection))/loss
where delta is worst-case discrepancy between ports
for example, delta(loss) for 750 MHz at table 1 is
10-5.26/10-10-5.32/10=0.00409=-23.9dB

Jiho said:
What does isolation between output ports 1 and 2 mean?
Here is an alternative / additional view:
I am assuming that you can handle dBs ok.
If the ports are not totally isolated from each other, any power entering one port will result in some power from the other port. If one port is mis terminated then the reflected power will end up mixing with the wanted signal from the other. The only way to quantify this is to show the isolation. That, of course, doesn't tell the whole story because the relative phases could be anything - the vector sum or difference being the maximum possible error.

Likes trurle

1. What is isolation in a 3-way power splitter?

Isolation refers to the ability of a 3-way power splitter to separate the input signal into three output signals without any interference or cross-talk between the outputs. It is measured in decibels (dB) and a higher isolation value indicates better performance.

2. How is isolation measured in a 3-way power splitter?

Isolation is typically measured by connecting a signal source to one of the outputs and measuring the power level at the other outputs. The ratio of the power level at the output with the signal source to the power level at the other outputs is the isolation value in decibels (dB).

3. What is the pulse response time for a 3-way power splitter?

The pulse response time refers to the time it takes for a 3-way power splitter to switch between different input signals and produce the corresponding output signals. It is an important factor in determining the speed and accuracy of the splitter's performance.

4. How is the pulse response time measured in a 3-way power splitter?

The pulse response time is typically measured by sending a pulse signal through the splitter and measuring the time it takes for the output signals to reach a certain percentage of the input signal's amplitude. The shorter the time, the faster the pulse response time of the splitter.

5. What is the relationship between isolation and pulse response time in a 3-way power splitter?

There is an inverse relationship between isolation and pulse response time in a 3-way power splitter. This means that as the isolation increases, the pulse response time decreases and vice versa. This is because a higher isolation value indicates better separation between the output signals, which requires a faster switching time.