Total power of a pulsed source over time?

In summary, the conversation is about a person trying to calculate the power consumption of an LED that is being pulsed every two seconds. They measure the voltage drop across a resistor and use an online calculator to estimate the power of the pulse. There is some confusion about the accuracy of the calculation and whether it is the average power or the total energy consumption that is needed. The conversation also touches on different ways of driving an LED and suggests getting a circuit diagram for a better understanding.
dnyberg2
Lets say I have an LED that is being pulsed once every two seconds.
The LED uses 5 mA of current each time its fired and the pulse lasts for 40mS.
I know the current into the LED because I measured the voltage drop across the dropping resistor of 420 ohms with a good O-Scope. So I know all these factoids and I found a calculator that seems to be able to tell me the power of the pulse at https://www.vishay.com/resistors/pulse-energy-calculator/. It came up with about 188mW due to the 2 second dwell between pulses...

Does that sound about right? 188mW average power? Averaged over what is my problem?

What I really need to know is how much total power is used by the LED in say 10 hours??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Seems like ~9W during the pulse - very high for one LED. You need to give the voltage drop across the LED, and whether the voltage during each pulse varies for a useful answer. Also I presume you want the energy used during the ten hours.

Ummmm... YES! The LED is a standard surface mount red LED at about 2 volts. The voltage applied looks like a logic level 2 volts for 40mS then it tapers off real slow down to some voltage before the cycle happens again. As I am not interested in anything but the pulse that is capable of turning the LED on, everything else is useless so just the pulse in the calculations...

And I need to learn to fish so don't just supply the answer as these conditions will vary over the experiment.

Thanks!

I guess what I'm after is a power totalizer type calculation over hours...

Since the source voltage was not given, the below is done symbolically. I'm assuming the energy supplied by the power source is needed. If just the LED dissipation is desired, substitute the LED voltage (2V) for <SupplyVoltage> in the calcs below.
  • Calculate the power drawn by the LED when on; <SupplyVoltage> x 0.005A = 0.0ZZW.
  • Calculate the Duty Cycle = 0.04 sec/2sec = 0.02
  • Multiply the power by the duty cycle
    0.0ZZW x 0.02 =ZZZW average power over each 2Sec. cycle.
For a 10 hour power consumption multiply the power-per-cycle (ZZZW) by the number of cycles in the time period.
ZZZW x ([3600SecPerHr] / [2SecPerCycle]) x 10Hrs = ?.?Watts from the power source.

Likes CWatters
Cool! Thanks so much!

Interesting the LED seems to clamp the supply to 2 volts so I guess that's the end supply...

Likes Tom.G
Interesting...

I agree with Toms calculation..

For the LED alone..
Average power = Current * voltage * mark/space
= 5*10-3 * 2 * 40*10-3/2
= 0.2mW

dnyberg2 said:
Interesting the LED seems to clamp the supply to 2 volts so I guess that's the end supply...

There are several different ways to drive an LED. Do you have a circuit diagram for your set up? Some configurations draw more current when the LED is OFF than when it's ON.

dnyberg2 said:
Lets say I have an LED that is being pulsed once every two seconds.
The LED uses 5 mA of current each time its fired and the pulse lasts for 40mS.
I know the current into the LED because I measured the voltage drop across the dropping resistor of 420 ohms with a good O-Scope. So I know all these factoids and I found a calculator that seems to be able to tell me the power of the pulse at https://www.vishay.com/resistors/pulse-energy-calculator/. It came up with about 188mW due to the 2 second dwell between pulses...

Does that sound about right? 188mW average power? Averaged over what is my problem?

What I really need to know is how much total power is used by the LED in say 10 hours??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
In 10 hours the LED would consume a certain amount of energy, measured in Joules, not power.
The power consumption of the LED is not time dependent. Power is energy per second.
I am not sure which you require?

1. What is the total power of a pulsed source?

The total power of a pulsed source refers to the amount of energy emitted by the source in a given period of time. It is typically measured in watts (W) or kilowatts (kW).

2. How is the total power of a pulsed source calculated?

The total power of a pulsed source is calculated by multiplying the average power of each pulse by the frequency of the pulses. This calculation takes into account the pulse duration and the duty cycle of the source.

3. What is the relationship between total power and pulse repetition rate?

The total power of a pulsed source is directly proportional to the pulse repetition rate. This means that as the pulse repetition rate increases, the total power also increases.

4. Can the total power of a pulsed source change over time?

Yes, the total power of a pulsed source can change over time depending on the stability of the source and any changes in the pulse repetition rate or duty cycle. It is important to regularly monitor and calibrate the source to ensure consistent total power output.

5. How does the total power of a pulsed source affect its applications?

The total power of a pulsed source is a critical factor in determining its applications. Higher total power is often required for applications that require deeper penetration or higher precision. However, it is important to balance total power with other factors such as pulse duration and repetition rate to optimize the performance for a specific application.