Definition of Stellar Parallax from Alonso and Finn Volume 1

In summary, the conversation is about a definition of Stellar Parallax and how it is derived. One person is confused about the representation of the angle in the definition and asks for clarification. The other person explains that the definition refers to the angle subtended by the Earth's orbit's diameter and the line perpendicular to the star and sun. They also mention that the Earth's diameter does not make sense in this context since the parallax is mainly due to Earth's orbit.
vibha_ganji
Hi! I read this definition of Stellar Parallax "It is expressed quantitatively by one-half the angle subtended by the Earth's diameter E1E2 perpendicular to the line joining the star and the sun (see Fig. 2-10)." (Source Alonso and Finn: Volume 1). But, I was unable to understand how they derived this definition. Is there some typo or am I misuderstanding the description? Here is Figure 2-10. (This is not a homework question but rather a doubt I had when I was reading.)

1629511291211.png

Astronomy news on Phys.org
A definition is just that. It is not derived. You need to clarify your concern.

Sorry about that. What I meant was I do not understand how the definition represents the angle theta. When the text writes, “ It is expressed quantitatively by one-half the angle subtended by the Earth's diameter E1E2 perpendicular to the line joining the star and the sun,” do they mean the angle subtended by the Earth’s orbit’s diameter and the line perpendicular to the line joining the star and the sun or do they mean the Earth’s diameter itself?

Pretty sure they mean the Earth's orbit's diameter. Hence why they say E1E2.
The diameter of the Earth doesn't make much sense by being here since the parallax is due almost entirely to Earth's orbit.

1. What is the definition of stellar parallax?

The definition of stellar parallax is the apparent shift in the position of a star when viewed from two different locations. This phenomenon is caused by the Earth's orbit around the Sun, which creates a change in perspective.

2. How is stellar parallax measured?

Stellar parallax is measured by observing the position of a star relative to more distant background stars from two different points on Earth's orbit. The angle of the star's apparent shift is then calculated using trigonometry.

3. Why is stellar parallax important in astronomy?

Stellar parallax is important in astronomy because it allows us to determine the distance to nearby stars. By measuring the angle of parallax, we can use the trigonometric parallax formula to calculate the distance to a star.

4. What is the unit of measurement for stellar parallax?

The unit of measurement for stellar parallax is arcseconds. This is because the angle of parallax is typically very small, and using degrees or radians would result in very large numbers.

5. How does the distance to a star affect its parallax angle?

The distance to a star directly affects its parallax angle. The farther away a star is, the smaller its parallax angle will be. This is because the distance between the two observation points on Earth's orbit is relatively small compared to the distance to the star.