Deformable solids : Traction / Compression

In summary: S x}{L}##In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the normal force N(x) of a cable suspended at one end and free at the other, considering only the weight of the cable. The relevant equation is ##N' + q = 0##, where q is the lineic effort. The value of q is found to be incorrect and should be ## q = \frac{\rho g S x}{L}## instead. The members @kuruman, @Steve4Physics, and @haruspex are suggested as potential sources of help. Further clarification on the question is needed, specifically the expression for T(x), the tension in the cable as a
Lantean
Homework Statement
I need to find the normal force N(x) of a cable. L, suspended in x=0 and free at the end, in x=L. I have the following values : ##\rho## the density (homogen) , S the section of the cable, ##\vec{g} = g \vec{e_x}## the acceleration due to gravity and L the length of a cable. We assume that there is just the weight to considerate.
Relevant Equations
##N' + q = 0## (where q is the lineic effort)
Hi,

I use the equation above to isolate N(x), I get ##N = -\int_0^x qdx## I don't know how to get the value of q. The dimensionnal analysis give me :
## q = \frac{\rho g S x}{L}##, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for your help !

Physics news on Phys.org
Lantean said:
Homework Statement:: I need to find the normal force N(x) of a cable. L, suspended in x=0 and free at the end, in x=L. I have the following values : ##\rho## the density (homogen) , S the section of the cable, ##\vec{g} = g \vec{e_x}## the acceleration due to gravity and L the length of a cable. We assume that there is just the weight to considerate.
Relevant Equations:: ##N' + q = 0## (where q is the lineic effort)

Hi,

I use the equation above to isolate N(x), I get ##N = -\int_0^x qdx## I don't know how to get the value of q. The dimensionnal analysis give me :
## q = \frac{\rho g S x}{L}##, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for your help !
The value of q should be the weight of 1 meter of cable, and its units should be Newton/meter, if I am not wrong.

Likes Lantean
I think you're right, but I have to consider a weight in ##N.m^{-1}## So it would be a lineic weight, and I don't know how to express that.

Lantean said:
I think you're right, but I have to consider a weight in ##N.m^{-1}## So it would be a lineic weight, and I don't know how to express that.
Perhaps these members could help:
@kuruman
@Steve4Physics
@haruspex

Lnewqban said:
Perhaps these members could help:
@kuruman
@Steve4Physics
@haruspex
I’ll have a go but there is a language problem. I'll assume the question is this:

A cable has length L, cross-sectional area S and is made of material with density ρ. Acceleration due to gravity is g.
Taking the x-axis as vertical, the cable hangs suspended at x=0 and with its free end at x=L.
Find an expression for T(x), the tension in the cable as a function of x.
If that’s correct, I don’t see any need for calculus.

For a point (P) on the cable, a distance x below the top, the OP should answer these questions (and post them for us to check):

a) What is an expression for the length of cable below P?
b) What is the volume of this length of cable?
c) What is the mass of this length of cable??
d) What is the weight of this length of cable?
e) What is the vale value of T(x) at P?
(Some/all of these steps can be combined.)

Edit: spelling corrected.

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban
the value of q is not correct,

What is the difference between traction and compression?

Traction and compression are both types of forces that act on deformable solids. Traction is a pulling force that causes an object to stretch or elongate, while compression is a pushing force that causes an object to compress or shorten.

How do deformable solids respond to traction and compression?

Deformable solids respond differently to traction and compression depending on their material properties. Some materials, such as rubber, are more easily stretched by traction and resist compression, while others, such as concrete, are more easily compressed by compression and resist traction.

What factors affect the amount of deformation in a solid under traction or compression?

The amount of deformation in a solid under traction or compression is affected by several factors, including the magnitude and direction of the force, the material properties of the solid, and the shape and size of the solid.

What are the applications of studying deformable solids under traction and compression?

Understanding how deformable solids respond to traction and compression is important in many fields, including engineering, materials science, and biomechanics. This knowledge can be used to design and improve structures, develop new materials, and analyze the behavior of biological tissues.

What are some common methods for testing the deformation of solids under traction and compression?

There are several methods for testing the deformation of solids under traction and compression, including tensile and compression testing machines, strain gauges, and computer simulations. These methods allow scientists to measure and analyze the deformation of a solid under different conditions.